Cox speaks out

By: Netball-Journo
On: 12 Apr 2012

Gun netballer Catherine Cox has long been lauded as one of the best shooters to play for Australia and the NSW Swifts.

After a decorated 13-year career with the Swifts, Cox was told by new coach Lisa Beehag that she would not be leading the Swifts for this year’s ANZ Championship campaign.

She was disappointed, but also shocked.

“I rang the coach to have a chat about what was the plan and she didn’t sound too enthusiastic,” the 35-year-old told Channel 10.

“I don’t want to blow sunshine up my own butt, but surely . . .

By: Netball-Journo
On: 12 Apr 2012

8 Responses to “Cox speaks out”

1. Gem says:

I am a swifts fan, but I am finding it hard without cath cox, I dont like the idea this is a rebuilding yer for the swifts when it did not have to be. It was a wrong decision

2. Anonymous says:

I am not a Swifts fan but I have always enjoyed watching Catherine Cox and cannot believe the Swifts coach has done this. Doesn’t seem like a good decision.

3. Claire says:

It would be interesting to hear a reply from the Swifts coach. I’ve been a Swifts fan for a very long time and I don’t understand and don’t feel comfortable with this revelation – part of me is regretting being a Swifts member…I just don’t understand why they let her go and did it the way they did.

On the plus side Cox is still playing in the ANZ Champs and hopefully will for a while and she is a crucial part of the Fever team and mentor to Basset – I really feel like this is their year!

4. Anonymous says:

I hope the Swifts board and Beehag are happy. I am a fan of Cox and Bulley. If Julie was still coach these two Australian players would still be at Swifts, and Swifts would be pushing finals. This year they won’t make the finals. I can’t wait until Fever play Swifts hopefully Cox has a blinder. I would hate to imagine how Kim Green and Susan Pratley feel about this situation.

5. Anna-marie says:

I’m glad that Carla Dziwoki is fianlly getting some game time…but that about it! Cath Cox hasn’t played anything super outstanding in the first two matches for the Fever, and the Swifts have suffered without her (though they miss Bec Bulley and Julie FitzG just as much I’m sure!)

6. Dianne says:

When I first heard this, I felt really bad for Cath as I felt that she was dealt a low blow. But honestly after watching her play so far this year she really isn’t showing the swifts that they should have kept her. Her shooting is off, her passes are shocking and poor Basset is having to do all the shooting herself and the defences are double teaming her as they know that Cath doesn’t want to shoot. Hopefully Cath is just taking some time to settle in or otherwise if she keeps playing like this I don’t think she will be in the Diamonds team either

7. […] Cath Cox going on record recently to let her Swifts fans know that it wasn’t her decision to leave the team, the matchup was made […]

8. […] an excellent win, their first under new coach Lisa Beehag. The pressure was on Beehag, after the story broke last week that she had unceremoniously dumped Cath Cox, Australian Diamond and career Sw…. A creative and well-executed game plan has emerged, despite difficulty in the […]