Browne and Mentor rewarded

Ben Carbonaro
    13 Jul 2013 at 5:34 pm

Madison Browne

Season 2013 came to a disappointing end for the Melbourne Vixens after losing last week’s preliminary final.

For the Vixens, some consolation can be drawn from midcourt dynamo Madison Brown and dynamic defender Geva Mentor being named in the ANZ Championship All Star Team.

“I guess it’s a nice personal little bonus but as I said to someone else yesterday I would have preferred five extra goals on the weekend and be preparing for a Grand Final, because that’s what we play for,” Browne told Netball Scoop.

“It was my first finals series last year and not getting the premiership last year, (we were) hoping to go one better (this year) but it just wasn’t meant to be.

“It’s (All Star selection) a positive little recognition.”

Mentor’s combination with captain Bianca Chatfield in defence was as strong as ever, as the duo’s performance across this season further enforced their reputation as one of netball’s best defensive combinations.

Despite giving away height, Mentor’s ability to take high balls when matching up on the tall shooters has been one major feature of the English international’s game this year.

“Geva’s been I think growing every year, last year she has an extraordinary year for Vixens and she comes up against some of the best shooters in the world,” said Browne.

“She’s obviously always got a tough job at hand and with B out the front, they combine really well together.

“Before she started playing netball, she was doing trampolining (and) she credits (her elevation) to that.”

Browne has tipped the Adelaide Thunderbirds to take out this year’s premiership, having played with several of their players.

She played with defenders Rebecca Bulley for Melbourne Kestrels and Renae Hallinan at Vixens before the WD moved to Adelaide.

“I think Thunderbirds will take it out, I obviously have a fewer close friends in Adelaide so that’s why I’ll be cheering for them.

“I just think that they’ve got that fight and really, really want it (premiership) and they’ll do absolutely everything to get it.”

Post reply:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic — Login