Reply To: 2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)

Reply To: 2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)2019-12-02T00:25:36+10:00
NettySuperFan
Participant

In terms of England, Haythornthwaite was far and away their best player, brought so much stability but flare to the team, and her feeds were amazing. Thoroughly deserved to ‘Best Midcourter’ award.
    Malcolm and Nat P performed really well when they were on court, although Malcolm is MUCH better in WD than in WA. Jade Clarke was good… pretty solid as usually but nothing spectacular. Congrats on 170 games, like WOW!
    Defensively, I thought Stacey Francis wasn’t really doing a whole lot and was really confused why she played pretty much every minute of every game. I would’ve thought Shimmin GK, Williams GD would’ve been the strongest combo. Even with the Shimmin/Francis combo, it should’ve been the other way around, Shimmin’s strength is at GK, and Francis is at GD. I don’t really think Francis deserved the ‘Best Defender’ award, although she was the only English defender to play most minutes, and they couldn’t really award it too a SA player cause that would look bad (with SA receiving 3 out of the 4 awards and losing the series). Even though Fran Williams played a lot less minutes, I think she deserved it a lot more, as she had more of an impact than Francis while she was on court.
    I thought Cardwell did well, was fairly accurate. Promising future. K Corbin was a Corbin, erratic and flashy, sometimes it worked, sometimes it caused a turnover, nothing really new their, But she was pretty good over the whole series. Fisher is a Jo Harten-like up-and-coming star, who will do well in the future. She had a couple of mind fades with shots and things, and got a bit rattled, but she will learn from that.

Go to Top