Reply To: COMMONWEALTH BANK TROPHY 1997-2007

Reply To: COMMONWEALTH BANK TROPHY 1997-20072020-12-01T21:53:47+10:00

Forums Statistics Archive COMMONWEALTH BANK TROPHY 1997-2007 Reply To: COMMONWEALTH BANK TROPHY 1997-2007

Ian Harkin

HIGH-FLYING T-BIRDS SET TO CONTINUE
Illawarra Mercury

The Adelaide Thunderbirds holding aloft the Commonwealth Bank Trophy is a scene that appears certain to be repeated for years to come.

The T-birds followed the lead of neighbouring AFL team the Adelaide Crows and the men’s and women’s basketball sides the 36ers and Lightning by claiming back-to-back national titles with a crushing 62-30 grand final win over hometown rivals the Adelaide Ravens on Friday night.

Thunderbirds coach Marg Angove described it as the best display of netball she had ever seen. And the seemingly unstoppable T-birds unit looks destined to continue its dominance. Angove has another year of her contract to run.

T-BIRDS AT THE DOUBLE
AAP

The Adelaide Thunderbirds upheld a hometown tradition of back-to-back national titles with a crushing 32-goal win over the Adelaide Ravens in the national league grand final last night.

The T-Birds followed in the footsteps of their AFL and NBL neighbours by defending their premiership. The last time these two teams met, they drew 49-49, but last night in Adelaide, the Thunderbirds won out in every area.

Ravens coach Pat Mickan changed her team’s lineup seconds before play, switching centre Danielle Grant with wing defence Trudy Gardner. But the moves did nothing to unsettle the Thunderbirds, with goal attack Jacqui Delaney never looking like missing the target, sinking 14 from 15 attempts in the first quarter.

Mickan reversed her changes at quarter-time, but again the T-birds were too strong, blazing away to hold a 30-13 lead at half-time, and they went further ahead in the second half.

With six minutes to go, T-birds coach Marg Angove brought Natalie Sloane into goal shooter, Anna Colbeck to goal attack and Sam Andrews to wing defence, to share in the win.

Angove described her team’s performance as amazing. “I’ve coached for a long time and it’s the best display I’ve ever seen in my life,” she said.

Her captain, Kathryn Harby, said the T-birds stuck to their game plan to start well. “It was just great to be a part of,” she said.