Reply To: Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach

Reply To: Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach2021-07-08T15:13:59+10:00

Forums New Zealand Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach Reply To: Amigene Metcalfe to step down as Magic coach

al_ex
Participant

I loved Anna Stanley’s insights on the podcast. She was so much more straightforward and to the point than she is in commentary. Especially in relation to fitness levels.

I think for Magic you have to look at which players have either genuinely performed or have shown that they’re improving. For me that’s Williams, Winders, Fowler and Tong. Then there are players who can perform if they get fit: Bassett, Kara and Fakahokotau. I don’t think those players offer enough going forward to keep them, at least not on a high salary cap tier. The rest haven’t been great to be honest.

There are so many talented players up North they should be able to target. You would hope that at least one of the Mystics shooters and one of the Stars shooters could move over to play with Williams. I’d be going hard for Falkner and Malesala given their history. Claire O’Brien has been strong at NNL level and is a proven performer from her Swifts days. I can imagine Gordon may want to move back up North if Parata remains. Rore in Rotorua would be a great mentor for Tong and Fowler. There are definitely talented players to be recruited but Magic have to get their act together and genuinely pick the best options. They also need to pick an Import who is on the improve not someone in the twilight of their career, that’s something the T’Birds have finally learnt in Australia.