Reply To: Firebirds set to bring Maria Folau back.

Reply To: Firebirds set to bring Maria Folau back.2022-03-01T21:10:49+10:00

Forums Australia Firebirds set to bring Maria Folau back. Reply To: Firebirds set to bring Maria Folau back.

Andrew Kennedy
Participant

Gosh I hope Folau doesn’t come to Firebirds. Retire gracefully! Wallam is dynamite and even with one extra month of training she will be an absolute weapon for them.

I think (and have no evidence for this, pure speculation) that Firebirds would embrace Wallam, but Folau would create division and not genuine inclusion as a team – not just because of the husband, but because they know she is a retired Kiwi only there for one season and probably not going to take it seriously enough. Meanwhile, Wallam desperately wants a contract, is Aussie, is much younger, and (as Megan Anderson said) is a lovely humble person who is super keen to learn and grow.

The quarters where Wallam didn’t fire were because the midcourt aren’t used to a totally circle-bound shooter. Aiken/George does at least know when the ball isn’t coming through when to change to a front hold or put on a short lead to circle edge. But Wallam can learn this in a month for sure. Oh yes and the quarters when Mi Mi were on and she had way too many turnovers and offensive penalties, just like she had all last year and was still offered a contract. That’s a real head-scratcher for me.

Go to Top