Reply To: Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG

Reply To: Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG2022-05-08T16:31:14+10:00

Forums New Zealand Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG Reply To: Fitness issues weaken Silver Ferns defensive stocks ahead of CG

Nesian
Participant

@nanator Just being honest but I’d hate to see Nweke miss out because she hasn’t reached a line back and forth in a certain amount of time. I’m no Nweke fan and I think after watching today she needs an attitude adjustment but she’s the most dominant shooter we have, one of the most accurate and if the likes of Meels can’t make it in time with current standards then I think we will struggle for third at the Comm Games.

The thing is Noels brought in the fitness standards for the World Cup. The bottom level was 16 and we obviously won the cup. Now the standards have gone up incrementally every year but have our results? No, if anything they have gone backwards. So yes we are fitter but that’s the only victory we’ve had because we have lost on the court.

If we are honest we only have to put our first string players on against England in our pool so player rotation wise I wouldn’t expect our starting 7 to have played a heck of a lot of minutes before we get to the business end.

I’m not saying get rid of the standards but perhaps bring them back to 2019 level so those that have been affected by covid have a better chance of making the squad.

@TB whilst the defence end was singled out in the article I have heard that across the court that some players are struggling to meet the standards.