Reply To: Silver Ferns trialists

Reply To: Silver Ferns trialists2022-06-16T17:01:43+10:00

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns trialists Reply To: Silver Ferns trialists

TACTIXSUPPORTER
Participant

Looking at the list, it is going to be hard to pick a 12 plus reserves.
I think we have some really good players, but are lacking experience in the Ferns environment.
We have 3 strong GS options in Wilson Nweke Dunn. Wilson has been the Ferns main GS for the past 2 years, and often stands up in the Ferns environment with the right support around her.
Eke and Metuarau are 2 classy GAs. Of course, Eke is not near her top form so I am unsure if she will meet the final fitness standards.
Could they take 3x GS players and 1x GA and play Wilson/Dunn at GA? A massive risk but could work out…..

Midcourt is VERY difficult.
So many excellent players, but picking the right players/combos will be hard.
I think Crampton and Gordon will be there. Noels seems to prefer Kersten and Winders also.
I think they need to pick Poi based on her previous Ferns games. She turned the matches for the Ferns and dominated that Diamonds midcourt.
I am a huge Souness fan and I think she could be the perfect WA for Dunn Nweke and Wilson, but Crampton has that experience and I dont think NZ will take 2 players who only really play WA (can play C but we haven’t seen this for a while)

Burger is a HUGE loss for Ferns. She could cover WD and GD. Starting WD, which would allow Noels to pick a more attacking midcourt. Losing Burger, I guess the midcourt will be more defensive focus now.

In the circle, Jury Manu’a will be there. The rest, no idea! I don’t think Karaka Fitzpatrick have had their best year. Maybe we will see only 3 circle defenders named and 5 midcourt players picked to cover WA c and WD? Temu was solid for Stars, but is untested in the Ferns environment. She can cover GD and GK with ease, which might help! Can Heffernan play GD?

Nweke Wilson Eke Dunn
Poi Crampton Gordon Saunders Heffernan
Manu’a Jury Temu?

Metuarau, Souness, Fitzpatrick and Burley as reserves

A very difficult team to pick. But most likely we will see Kersten and Winders included

Kayla Johnson at full fitness is a solid WD GD option, but she didn’t run out full games for Stars so she shouldn’t be considered. Hume is hot and cold.
I only just noticed Tong isn’t there. It’s a shame that injury prevented her for developing this year. She could be a great player at GD.

Seeing the Jamaican team named today, NZ Aus and England will need to be on form! Jamaicas midcourt is often their downfall, but that defence end is insane! Sterling Wilson and Ward. All ball winners and they have Fowler.

Will be an interesting time. I think NZ can win gold. I can also see Jamaica beating the Diamonds. I was surprised to see that shooting circle picked for Aus. Wood Koenan had a very up and down season. Dwyer was the form GA all year