Reply To: 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

Reply To: 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news2022-07-11T23:46:55+10:00

Forums Australia 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news Reply To: 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

ctree
Participant

“Too risky” were never FB words. They were Romelda’s paraphrased words from her own social media post.

FB were damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Drop Aiken-George and it’s the “they don’t support pregnant women” card. Drop Wallam and it’s the “they don’t support up and coming Aboriginal talent.” But they’re both only a GS option and there’s not really space for two only shooters.

I would pick Wallam for the long-term development potential. Especially with her and Bueta forming potential Diamond’s connections.

This whole situation reminds me of Fever circa 2018/2019 when Medhurst was dropped. Articles in 2018 reported she was on $135K which was a substantial part of the salary cap. Everyone then crucified Fever for letting her go, and then also hated on Fever for the same salary breach when discovered years later. But the narrative was always on “how Fever let go of her” rather than it being a good club/business decision. I hope this doesn’t carry the same for Firebirds. When Fans don’t think it’s a player’s time to go, it doesn’t matter how/why the club does it, or whether forward/business thinking was involved.

It absolutely sucks for Romelda, and it’s a kick in the guts for women wanting to balance career and children, but that’s professional sport unfortunately.