2019 CONSTELLATION CUP NZ v AUS TEST 1 (Christchurch)

2019 CONSTELLATION CUP NZ v AUS TEST 1 (Christchurch)2019-10-16T03:21:59+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Silver Ferns claim thrilling win over Australia in Constellation Cup opener

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12276086

Heartbreak in Christchurch as Silver Ferns Take Constellation Cup Game One

https://diamonds.netball.com.au/news/australia-new-zealand-constellation-cup-2019

Bluebird
            Participant

That was so exciting to watch. Feel Diamonds made if harder for themselves in the circle. His many times did Bassett and Tippet pass out? Their both not wanting to shoot from distance is a weakness, and I’ve seen Tippet shoot from mid range, she needs to back herself and put the shot up.

Ferns were so quick, great shooting from anywhere. But, what happens at C after Langman retires?

NZChampion
              Participant

Liz Ellis used to say if you can limit Van Dyk to under 40 goals, you have a chance to win the game. Bassett now sits under 40 goals a game. Take what you may out of that.

I think Tippet and Bassett need to back themselves to turn and shoot. Also Maria who started to pass out in the 3rd quarter. Weston was lightning quick to pounce on the in and out passes. Stop it Maria!

TrentA
                Participant

Wow!!
                  What an exciting game to watch live.
                  Mind you I don’t think I’ve been so quiet at a live Netball game ever. Lol.
                  Crowd gave the Silver Ferns a rousing standing Ovation when they entered the Arena, but then when the game started were strangely quiet. Me, well I was yelling D, D, D every time the Diamonds had the ball and people were looking at me like I was the crazy one. No people you should be yelling to!!

Game was very good. Great quality netball from both teams. You could just tell from the start that it was going to go down to the wire and with the largest lead only being 6 goals and both teams clawing back from similar deficits it did indeed go down to the wire.

I have too confess to now being a Tippett convert. Her athleticism and the way she twists herself around in thee circle to land close to the post is amazing to watch. But she has a reluctance to shoot from long which a few times could have relieved the pressure for the Diamonds. But no lay-ups. Mind you IMO she is lucky that she doesn’t get called for the step-in shooting action she uses. She relies on the defender getting pinged for contact on her arm.

Ekenasio the deserved MVP. Amazing shooting and movement. Saunders had a mighty game against the Diamonds best WD. Karaka did well for her 3 qtrs. But I think ran out of puff after some mighty attempts at intercepts and tight marking. I thought that maybe Rore would be moved back and Burger used at WD, but Burger did well at GD. That circle combination will be the true test of this series for the Silver Ferns. If Karaka and Burger can continue to grow and add to the support they gave Watson last night then it will go a long way to helping the Silver Ferns to a series victory. Similarly if Saunders improves or Crampton returns with the form she showed in the WCs final then the attack end will really hum.

Umpiring pretty consistent. Will watch game on Sky to hear some of the calls and also to listen to Commentators. One thing I did comment on was that there seemed to be a few held balls not called. For both teams.

One last thought. After three 1 goal victory margins in the last three SFs/Diamonds clashes and the SFS winning two of those is it time for fans to expect a SFs victory in every game rather than hoping for a SFs victory but expecting the Diamonds to win?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by TrentA.
                  JR
                  Participant

Great comments Trent.

Those comments by LA about the ‘newbies’ in the Canberra Times article were strange. Sherian was very good when she first came on, LA even commented on her fantastic feeding. Sure she made some mistakes in the last quarter. And Braz was very good. I think some of the ‘oldies’ were as responsible for the loss. Neither of the Diamonds’ shooters prepared to shoot from even mid circle was a problem, especially compared to the long bombs by Ekenasio and Folau. Bassett’s Romelda impersonation was frustrating, ditto her occasional soft hands…did she go off injured? And Liz Watson, third most penalties on court…not good for a WA/C – many more than either GKs (Jane Watson only got 5 penalties and Klau 8).

A very exciting game to watch.

Nettylife
                      Participant

I felt exactly the same way when I read LA’s comments I felt like she was taking an easy out rather than offering any real insights. It would be great if she and CBass would do the post game interviews that NZ do. She is going to hate the focus on penalties now too but it is something they really need to look at.
                        I didn’t think Bassett or Tippett had their best game but I thought LA left the change to Thwaites too late, and the confusion when it happened about who was going on ?‍♀️

Maryann
                        Participant

Taurua hasn’t confirmed she is not staying on.

For Netballcrazy1…

No, Taurua hadn’t confirmed she wasn’t continuing with the Silver Ferns after January. Most people just assumed that. I didn’t hear the commentators say that. Are you sure that’sactually what they said?

Also, go here to find the NNP for each player… https://mc.championdata.com/netball_aus/

NettySuperFan
                            Participant

I think the only thing she has confirmed is that she hasn’t confirmed anything, and that she won’t confirm anything until after the January Quad Series (or whatever its new name is, I forget).

JR
                              Participant

Yes the difference in penalties was marked. Some late defending, looked like they arose out of frustration. And the barging through opponents – Watson and Tippett – was weird.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top