2019 CONSTELLATION CUP NZ v AUS TEST 2 (Auckland)

2019 CONSTELLATION CUP NZ v AUS TEST 2 (Auckland)2019-10-16T03:19:12+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Still not convinced about Phillip as she got caught standing waiting for the ball too many times with Burger picking them off but did give NZ something else to think about. Thought Bruce has got her mojo back after her injury. Agree about Weston and Klau, Weston has become my new Mo’onia Gerrard, love her defence but cringe when I see her wind her arm up. Great effort Diamonds.

Netballcrazy1
      Participant

I agree re Hadley, am i missing something that everyone else is seeing? I get she’s versatile but she has not been up to scratch for me before this year for Aus and isn’t proving me wrong in my opinion, now. I get if you want her on the bench for versatility but I think we need to test out something else, and to r fair, Aus needs 2020 to develop a GENUINE C option with Rav out.

2 stats worth looking at… Gains: Aust 19-13. Courtney Bruce was simply outstanding! She had 12 gains of her own, almost as many as the whole NZ team. BUT… 32 turnovers for Aust is a horrid number. Most of them were just totally unnecessary and they kept on giving NZ a sniff.

Tully
          Participant

I enjoyed watching the movement that Philip brought to the game. Was much needed and paid off. Would like to see her get a start next test. Not sure why people think Philip is about to retire she is the same age as Scherian and she just debuted!

Scherian is ahead of Hadley now. Not sure Hadley has taken her return to the Diamonds with two hands. The WA / C position (to partner Watson) is a problem and if they return well from their ACLs Browne and Proud will probably come in.

For the next test I would leave Turner in and drop Price out. Both Brazill and Price aren’t needed and Brazill was the stronger.

Bruce was phenomenal and deserved MVP. Has her starting bib back. Klau is a great GK but is not a GD. Not sure it’s that fair to play her there where she is exposed.

Points to Watson for running Langman ragged. Langman looked exhausted, I’ve never seen her like that!

Sounness made a huge difference for NZ and expect we will see more of her in the next tests. Burger was also very strong for them.

Netballcrazy1
            Participant

I would love to see Proud and Browne come back strong, they would be great additions to the Aus squad. I would also drop Price, if LA insists on having Hadley then there is more than enough cover with Brazill, Weston, and Hadley. I’d like to see Thwaites and Phillip and Phillip and Tippett again next test, maybe rest Bassett a bit unless completely necessary. Also would like to see what Turner can bring to the court even if it is not for a small stint

NZChampion
              Participant

Congrats to the Diamonds! ? Amazing performance overall. Congrats to Lisa on her 100th! This is one tournament that Lisa thrives in!

Bruce was obvious MVP! So awesome and gutsy.

I love the name Karin Burglar!? She’s such a hustler! Very strong hands in a tussle for the ball.

Back to the drawing board for the team. I loved our defensive efforts. But the defensive wall from the Diamonds starting with Bruce was amazing to watch. Weston cuts off those bounce passes so we’ll. I thought Rore did well on both of her opponents. Liz Watson was the secret ingredient tonight. She was everywhere she needed to be. Not too worried about the margin. We saw glimpses of potential with Mes and Souness. I love the energy and speed from Souness. Saunders got a tad caught out by Brazil. After having a blinder on Sunday. But its good to see our bench is quite strong. Despite the result.

mcleod
                Participant

Souness was excellent. Meels had her worst game in 12 months. Time is nearing for Langman to hang up the bib, the back passing is frying my brain cells.

Carrol
                      Participant

What a game. Happy with the result but soooo…..inconsistent from both teams and the umpires. So may uncalled held balls and some called that were not held! So many turnovers!
                        Courtney Bruce is a star!⭐️⭐️⭐️?, her eyes were never on the ball. Tippett also pretty amazing and I was once not a fan. I eat my words.
                        Would love to see Klau, Bruce and Weston in defence with Weston at WD. Brazil or JLP at centre and let Watson back to WA where she is at home. Can always have back up of Hadley and Sherian in the mid court. Only shooter I enjoyed today was Gretel, not so confident with Phillip, eyes sometimes off the ball.
                        LA makes some odd choices for my mind.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Carrol.
                        HDav
                        Participant

I’m just so relieved, I seriously thought they were literally going to throw it away in the second half with some of those passes. Great defensive game from both sides

Silver Ferns overpowered by Australia in second Constellation Cup test https://www.nzherald.co.nz/netball/news/article.cfm?c_id=69&objectid=12277216

al_ex
                              Participant

I think Hadley in general really struggles with making new combinations quickly and trusting in herself and those around her. I remember that the first year of SSN when everyone left the Swifts she had a very average season and was replaced often by O’Brien, the same in the last season but she performed a bit more consistently. Then this year once the combinations with Proud, Housby and Wallace had settled she was excellent. Then after Proud did her ACL she was quite average again for a few weeks, then was great the last two weeks as she found the right balance with Haythornthwaite. I remember distinctly that her best game of NWC was against RSA where she fed Thwaites and Tippett, both of whom she’s played with at franchise level. I don’t know what the solution is as there’s no one else who can really be selected based on franchise form, but she needs to raise her level and quickly. I think she would play better if Thwaites gets a real opportunity but given that doesn’t seem likely I would also be trying a Watson/Price/Brazill midcourt as both attacking midcourters have a good connection with CBass. I’d also be giving Philip another shot because I just don’t think Tippett’s style of play matches up with Bassett’s, CBass can’t do any work out the front and rotate the circle which takes away Tippett as a target. Philip’s speed really took some attention off Bassett without her needing to come out and give space in the circle.

I’d also like to see Klau/Bruce start the next game, with Klau at GK. It’s still so strange to me that LA plays them the other way around. Would also be interested in seeing Klau/Turner and Weston/Turner. It’s not like the Ferns are using the hold much right now and I think Weston does a great job in covering space within the circle. Turner is an excellent ball-deliverer and I think she brings down her opponent’s level very well. It would be a different and unexpected challenge for Ekenasio I think.

schmeetle
                                Participant

LOL check out the photos the SF and Diamonds have chosen for their respective Twitter feeds (match reports).

Oh what fun to be a social media manager!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top