2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)

You are here:--2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)
2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)2019-11-07T11:45:08+00:00

Home Forums International 2019 Test Series – South Africa v England (Nov 29-Dec 1)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Participant

QTR 3

South Africa 41 England 36

Roses worked really hard to pull level but then lost it.

Ian Harkin

SA v Eng Test 3

3/4 time: SA 41-36

Amazing what one little change can make. In that qtr, SA became stagnant in attack, nobody running, Eng equalised, then Rademan came on and provided a spark that lifted the whole team. For England, Corbin and Williams have lifted them

Jinxibo
    Participant

Fulltime

South Africa 54 England 48

Jinxibo
    Participant

MVP – Maweni

Ian Harkin

SA v Eng Test 3

Full time: SA 54-48

A deserved win for SA. Having got out to that 6 goal lead early, Eng threatened in the 3rd qtr, but they managed to pull away again. Their defence was in sparkling form, in particular Maweni. A clear standout for player of the match!

Jinxibo
    Participant

The SA sky presenter. I find the way she speaks really annoying, i don’t know why. I’ve just realized she talks like Lloyd Grossman ha ha

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Ash72
    Participant

Well done South Africa they really deserved it and it keeps netball interesting. I thought Potgeiter was outstanding and I’ve noticed when she plays well and is confident it lifts he whole team.
    Our attack end needed changes which weren’t an option, due to us having a defensive heavy squad with only one WA and only one young and inexperienced GA (Fisher, Cardwell and Corbin are GS’s not GA’s).

Ian Harkin

Bluebird
    Participant

What on earth was Shimmin doing at GD? Surely her best position is GK. And Francis v Ventor? Seriously. Big mistake.

Haythornthwaite must be exhausted, not having another actual WA another big mistake. In fact we need a C/WA to boost our attack end, all our C’s are C/WD.

Ian Harkin

NettySuperFan
    Participant

My thoughts on the series:
    Start off by saying, I really really enjoyed watching this series. I thought that both England and South Africa played really well, and showed great skill, and ability to play at a high level with the absence of their big name players.
    Potgeiter – Wow, what a amazing 3 games from her. I never thought that she would be able to play GA well, but she really proved that wrong in the 2 last matches. Really excited to see her play for Thunderbirds next year. She’s been one of my favourites for a while, even though she doesn’t get a whole lot of love on here.
    Maweni and van der Merwe really stood up for their team, and played an AMAZING game in the 3rd test. Shadine vdM was a very deserving MVP of the series.
    I really enjoyed watching Vimbela in GD, and was surprised that she wasn’t used in the first two test as I thought that Shadine/Vimbela/Maweni would be their strongest combo.
    Burger continues to kill it, and is really making it hard for the coach to not include her in the squad. (but with Potgeiter being able to play GA quite well, their might be room for all three now).
    Rademan provided a really good impact both times she came onto court, and whilst she wasn’t perfect, she is still really young, and will learn heaps from this test series, and has a heap of potential!
    Msomi and Stoltz were a bit of a let down for me, I was hoping Stoltz in particular would grab the starting GA bib with two hands. I could see Msomi becoming more of an impact player than a starter to inject a bit of speed when needed.
    Chawane will be a star of the future, its a shame she didn’t get more court time.
    Rome and Griesel are both really great players, that bring a lot of stability, but hungry to the midcourt.
    Overall I think South Africa’s future is looking pretty good, and they seem to have some genuine options off the bench!

NettySuperFan
    Participant

In terms of England, Haythornthwaite was far and away their best player, brought so much stability but flare to the team, and her feeds were amazing. Thoroughly deserved to ‘Best Midcourter’ award.
    Malcolm and Nat P performed really well when they were on court, although Malcolm is MUCH better in WD than in WA. Jade Clarke was good… pretty solid as usually but nothing spectacular. Congrats on 170 games, like WOW!
    Defensively, I thought Stacey Francis wasn’t really doing a whole lot and was really confused why she played pretty much every minute of every game. I would’ve thought Shimmin GK, Williams GD would’ve been the strongest combo. Even with the Shimmin/Francis combo, it should’ve been the other way around, Shimmin’s strength is at GK, and Francis is at GD. I don’t really think Francis deserved the ‘Best Defender’ award, although she was the only English defender to play most minutes, and they couldn’t really award it too a SA player cause that would look bad (with SA receiving 3 out of the 4 awards and losing the series). Even though Fran Williams played a lot less minutes, I think she deserved it a lot more, as she had more of an impact than Francis while she was on court.
    I thought Cardwell did well, was fairly accurate. Promising future. K Corbin was a Corbin, erratic and flashy, sometimes it worked, sometimes it caused a turnover, nothing really new their, But she was pretty good over the whole series. Fisher is a Jo Harten-like up-and-coming star, who will do well in the future. She had a couple of mind fades with shots and things, and got a bit rattled, but she will learn from that.

NettySuperFan
    Participant

Also, can someone answer this for me please. If the rules used were the standard ones, where there is no overtime, and a draw stands, who would’ve won the series. Test 1: draw, Test 2: ENG 59 – SA 53, Test 3: SA 54 – ENG 48. There would’ve been no way to separate them? Which I guess makes the fact that they had overtime in the first game, a good formatting choice…

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.