2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS

2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS2020-08-19T07:58:38+10:00

Forums Australia 2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just watched the replay and hoenstly I think there were a few calls from the male umpire that I would question and I think he whistled himself into the game wayyy too much.
    In terms of his call on Manu’a, I think it deserved MAYBE a warning or caution, a send off was completely unwarranted and it probably spurred that second call. I get if she was sent off the second time after warning and cautions but that first one was not a good evaluation of the contest.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

In absolute confusion on how Manu’a got sent off this season before JLP who is deliberate in her contact once’s she gets frustrated. Standard is not consistent

al_ex
    Participant

Re @Netballcrazy1, the male umpire had to send off Manu’a if she was going to receive a punishment because she was already on a warning. Her receiving an extra caution after the original warning from Booth results in the two minute send-off. I think the calls that are being disputed are the original warning and the final send off, the hit on Koenen was quite reckless.

greenasgxld
    Participant

Here are my thoughts:

As a Lightning fan, it was a lucky win. Did we deserve it? No.

Manua didn’t deserve to be sent off. They were harsh calls and I’ve definitely seen worse from defenders and they’ve gone unpunished. The umpires were extremely harsh and wanted to make an example out of her. The umpires’ performance should be reviewed because the calls weren’t acceptable at all.

That being said, when you’ve been warned, you have a target on your back. Whether you think it was fair or not, you have to adjust. Fitzgerald should’ve subbed her for McDonnell or Brandley.

IMO the Giants weren’t robbed. They had the opportunity to win it. Austin got the intercept from the Lightning CP and they should’ve scored the safe 1 pointer instead of risk the 2 points. Especially because they had their CP next. Some of the Giants players lost their heads in the moment and it cost them the game. Harten’s decision making in that moment was poor. It was their game to lose.

I don’t know if Wood’s knee issue is worse than we know. She doesn’t look to be moving that well and her performances overall haven’t been the best. Fingers crossed she can recover from it soon.

What did Harten say to Langman in the huddle?

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Oh so she already had a warning prior to the first send off?
    But yes I agree that the second send off in itself wasn’t that bad but I guess she built up a bit of a rap sheet in the second half and it all culminated not in her favour

TB
    Participant

See this is what I’m talking about, in terms of the commentators, not stating the process of the 2 send offs.

Manu’a was first warned (2nd qtr I think), so the next call had to be a 2 min send off. Which lead to the 3rd call, of her being sent off for the rest of the game. The umpires were just following the rules.

Sue and co got too caught up in the actual call, not the process of it all.

JH
    Participant

The commentating was crap!
    First they missed the caution in the second quarter so then they were flabbergasted as to why she got sent off, then it was saying the delay was Jo Hartens fault for talking to the umpire but it was actually JLP and then even saying good work umpire by getting the court wiped when it was JLP that actually stopped play. Might seem small but do they actually pay attention?!

JH
    Participant

Harten said to them “the umpire gave you that game”. Wasn’t really friendly as Cara seemed shocked, Steph gave them a glare and Laura L said something inaudible. Didn’t seem friendly at all…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by JH.
    greenasgxld
    Participant

Harten… such a great captain🙄

dinali perera
    Participant

Is harten saying “oh lauz, don’t play for the lightning mate”

TB
    Participant

Who else would Laura want to play for? They’ve only won back-2-back titles and made the GF 3 years straight 🤦‍♂️😂😂

greenasgxld
    Participant

No idea, the best team in SSN so far😂 Harten is salty that she crumbled under the pressure

Bluebird
    Participant

Omg what an absolute shambles. The decision to send her permanently off was way too harsh. Perhaps tv replay should be available for permanent sendings off because reducing a team to 6 makes a huge difference to the match. However I think the coach was stupid to keep her on after the original suspension.

Wilson in VNSL isn’t the only example, remember Ioane in ANZP? Even without the sendings off once a player is on the umpire radar you have to take them off, Kadeen Corbin in Glasgow 2014 is a prime example of that.

Giants panicked too much. All they had to do was score on their centre pass. They could have held on. I do feel that the lightning only won that because of the sending off.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
    Participant

Wow! Didn’t watch, but will watch the replay.

Manua was warned? But carried on contacting? Then, fair enough.
    Why couldn’t they move Parmenter to GD and have no WD? Is that not allowed?

Julie F should have taken Manu’a off the court earlier if it was that bad.

What did Queen Harten say to Langman after the match?

englishrose21
    Participant

Wow just watched the replay.
    Interesting.
    Not the game for inexperienced umpires.
    What a game to be missing Brandley!!
    If J Fitz had brought Tilly M on for the start of the last quarter and kept her there until it (maybe) got really close then brought Man’ua back on they’d have won.
    I think Jo Harten questioning the umpires was also a case of trying to push her luck/the umpires hopefully not knowing the answer to whether they could switch out a WD for a GD.
    Although I think the first and last rulings on Man’ua were unfair. On the final sending off the umpire got over excited, Man’ua only had eyes for the ball and it wasn’t dangerous in my opinion. She’s a defensive player she has to go for the ball. I’m sure Scherian didn’t even end up on the floor and she’s tiny.

I do think Giants could have won that. Did they not have any time outs left as they really could have used one in the last 2 mins to reset and calm down.

Also surely Bassett can’t continue as Diamonds captain if she’s going to be sitting on the bench? I think with how Hay, Austin and Harten played Julie has to play the majority of the game like that, they’ve earned it.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS