2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS

2020 SSN ROUND 5 – LIGHTNING v GIANTS2020-08-19T07:58:38+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Andrew, the umpire was Nathan Begley. He is Victorian and it was his first SSN match. I think it may also have been the first of his assessment matches for the AA award. If it was, I expect he scored well.

JR
        Participant

Re that rule that the ball has to pass fully through the ring before the final whistle in order to count …..wasn’t there some debate the other day that a 2pt shot was allowed even when it had left the player’s hands but not gone through the net when the siren went.

Netballcrazy1
          Participant

That rule about the ball passing through the ring really needs to be clarified as I saw a two point shot awarded for leaving the hands before the whistle but not through the ring. Yet a different interpretation occurred in one of the other games because the ball didn’t pass through the ring before the whistle.

Andrew Kennedy
            Participant

Thanks, Caribou, I also think he did a fair job. I wouldn’t criticise it at all and I think he is right for this level. Congratulations to him on his debut!

Interesting that a rookie umpire has to suddenly do a whole game and can’t get subbed off, while rookie players get to play a few minutes here and there to gradually build up.

Participant

So, even after reading all of these very useful comments I still am a little unclear on something.
                I thought the process was:
                Rough or repeated play = a caution
                Rough of repeated play again = “that’s now a warning”
                Rough or repeated play a third time= send off for two minutes

Is the above process correct? And did it happen with Kristina?

al_ex
                Participant

Dangerous play is automatically elevated to a warning, so Manu’a wasn’t issued a caution.

Participant

Thank you for this clarification. I’ve heard commentators explaining the send off rule as best they could but I haven’t heard this mentioned at all. I think this information should be being discussed as widely as the rest! So she had been given a warning verbally? And then after that, the Koenen post incident happened and she was sent off?

al_ex
                    Participant

Manu’a made a relatively clumsy attempt on Proscovia, play was stopped and she was given a warning for dangerous play. After this she took out Koenen and was suspended for two minutes. Then the final contact with Scherian sent her off for the rest of the game.

I think so many people missed the original warning because Proscovia didn’t even fall over and the commentators were speaking at that moment about something else. I personally didn’t think anything that serious had happened that would cause a warning, but the umpire clearly had a different view.

JR
                      Participant

Thanks al_ex. I missed that first warning in the 2nd quarter and didn’t hear the commentators talking about it (I’ve often thought that Sue should be quiet some times and watch the game). more. When the replayed the second warning – the Koenen incident – you could hear the umpire say ‘you’ve already been warned’. I didn’t hear that the first time.

Interesting to read the aftermath. I enjoyed the article in The Guardian, but don’t remember Sherian hitting the floor.

schmeetle
                        Participant

If this game had been played prior to the Thunderbirds v Magpies and the precedent set I would have fully expected Geva to be sent off. She made some really clumsy and late challenges. Yes, Queen Geva :whistle:

netballmum
                          Participant

I think that the major issue here is that the vast majority of viewers – including disappointingly the channel 9 commentators – don’t know or understand the rules.

For example: I was listening to Bianca Chatfield on her “show” with Ash Braz this morning & neither of them knew the rule about the ball having to pass through the ring before the umpire’s end of play whistle. Bianca was suggesting the ball had to be on its downward flight and Ash wanted the rule changed to when it left the players hand. I assume neither of them realise it is the whistle not the siren that signifies the end of play. These are both international players & they obviously have never read the rule book!

This means that the commentators react in the moment and start talking about “rough play” and “clumsy challenges” and whether “there was anything in that”. The game management section of the rules lays out very clearly what was applied in this case and why.

Andrea Booth (an umpire with extensive CBT player experience as a shooter) reacted immediately to the challenge on Proscovia with “whistle, hold time, that was dangerous” and then proceeded to give the WARNING. Now it may have seemed innocuous from the TV angle, but she was right there and obviously saw not only the big hip & elbow from Manu’a, but also the fact that the challenge was on someone in the air and took away their landing space & was concerned for their safety. Having uttered the word dangerous (her immediate reaction), she had no option but to issue the warning which meant any other cautionable offence observed by either umpire would result in a suspension – as is the case for any player who is warned (as opposed to cautioned).

I would love Channel 9 to invite an umpire supervisor to explain the game management section of the rules (& maybe give a copy to each of the Ch 9 commentary team ?) during one of the upcoming pre – matches.

At least people worldwide are talking about netball.

JR
                            Participant

<<I think that the major issue here is that the vast majority of viewers – including disappointingly the channel 9 commentators – don’t know or understand the rules>>

I reckon that’s a tad harsh netballmum. Are you expecting viewers, including those who no longer play, to pour over the rules constantly to check there’s no new rules.

As has been mentioned earlier, this rule, what I’ll call the ‘dangerous play’ rule, is a new rule. I am glad someone kindly outlined it without being taking a bit of a swipe at viewers who might be watching because they played in earlier years, love the game (not so sure about that with the 2 point shot) and want to support women’s sport.

Sure I agree that the commentators should know.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by JR.
                              • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by JR.
                              Anonymous

It’s fine if people can’t be bothered to learn the rules of the game they watch, but in that case they have no right to offer opinions on their interpretation.

The most striking thing for me about the whole episode is that neither Harten nor Fitzgerald knew the rules.

netballmum
                                Participant

JR said
                                  “As has been mentioned earlier, this rule, what I’ll call the ‘dangerous play’ rule, is a new rule. I am glad someone kindly outlined it without being taking a bit of a swipe at viewers who might be watching because they played in earlier years, love the game (not so sure about that with the 2 point shot) and want to support women’s sport.“

The rule is not really that new. It has been in force since 2016 – game management section was rewritten for clarity for 2020, but this is the same rule that saw Karin Burger suspended for 2 late challenges when she made her Ferns debut & a Fijian GK suspended and then ordered off at the Comm games in 2018.

As Julie F has admitted she knew the rule and why Manu’a had been warned following half time discussions and took a calculated risk (which backfired) When she put her back on after the suspension.

My swipe is not really at those viewers, but at the commentators whipping up that reaction, rather than commenting on the dangerous play. If an experienced umpire (3 years on the panel) has the immediate reaction that something is dangerous, I would prefer they supported her. There again they didn’t notice it as they were busy discussing whether or not Pretorius was injured!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top