2020 SSN ROUND 6 – FEVER v FIREBIRDS

2020 SSN ROUND 6 – FEVER v FIREBIRDS2020-08-22T12:56:14+10:00
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

She’s much maligned I know, but I think Romelda was just about the player of the match today. Interesting to see who gets it.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
      Participant

Wow. Didn’t expect such a big win. Firebirds were building the last few games though

Firebirds 68-Fever 57

Aiken 41/49 (84%)
          Dwan 20/24 (83%)
          Venter 2/8 (25%)

Fowler 48/51 (94%)
          Stanton 3/7 (43%)
          Teague-Neeld 1/5 (20%)

Super shots: Dwan 3/5, Stanton 3/6, Fowler 2/3, Aiken 1/2, Venter 1/5
          Assists: Cassidy 23
          Gains: Hinchliffe 7

MVP: Aiken

al_ex
          Participant

The Firebirds match up so well with the Fever, they’ve never lost to them in SSN even last year. I think Aiken plays well on Bruce and they always struggle with Simpson, I remember last year the game really broke open for them when they moved Aiken from GK to GS and Potgieter went to the bench. Fever’s attack just make so many errors when their WA and C are under pressure.

Dwan and Aiken have improved so much across the season. Dwan is probably one of the best Australian GAs right now!! Hopefully they can keep building and maintain their consistency, I’d love to see Tippett work on her GS game post pregnancy.

Fever need new attacking midcourters. Given how long they’ve played together it’s pretty crazy how often they miscommunicate and how many basic errors they make. The Swifts, Magpies and Vixens could run their B lines and outperform their Fever counterparts.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
            Participant

Fever midcourt were average last year but they kept the same team.
              They need a new signing to really push them into the finals.

Fraser (Swifts training partner) is a gun and deserves a full SSN contract

Guess with this whole pandemic, players will want to be closer to home in the next few years. So, chances of any non Western Australia players wanting to move to Perth will be slim

Anonymous

Really great to see Romelda finding her form again over the past few game. Thought there was a chance she might retire after last season, but it makes me happy to see her proving she’s still got a lot to give. And the growing combination with Dwan is very exciting.
                Thought Jenner and Hinchliffe were excellent today and very disciplined. Tara, for me, had a slow start to the season but this game showed what she’s capable of. This team is going to be scary good in a few years with all of the young guns coming through. Jenner, Hinchliffe, Cassidy, Mi Mi, Dwan, with Simpson and Aiken the veterans leading the charge. Throw in Bueta when she’s back and the sky is the limit.

aqua301
                Participant

Fevers attack end looked a HUGE mess? I would love to see Marinkovich try an attack line of Anstiss (C), ATN (WA), Cosh (GA) and Stanton (GS).

Participant

Well I’m not in complete agreement of that lineup but I feel like poor Fowler needs a break. I’ve never seen her make unforced errors like she did today. You can say “defensive pressure” all you like but I think the poor lady just needs a rest and some rotation!

Can we have Donelle Wallam flown out please so rotate on and spice up the game with her basketball moves please? She’s exactly what we need. Every single game, every single play is the same aim. Get the ball to Fowler. We need new plays and an exciting Ga, yes (or a GA not having to play WA too…!!), but we also need a second option to mix things up when another team has the read on the game plan….

I feel like Marinkovich gave great direction to her team today in timeouts but they didn’t listen. But I also think she hasn’t listened to others either over the course of the last few years and decisions may be biting her in the butt….Maybe she’s the change that’s needed….?

Bluebird
                    Participant

Fever rotate so much I don’t even know what their strongest 7 is. I know it’s a condensed season but feels like the players can’t build any connections.

al_ex
                      Participant

I think a problem the Fever has is that the players who are best at their best are also players who are worst at their worst. Francis is one of their best ball-getters but also gives away the most penalties. Colyer is a dominant feeder but turns over too many balls. ATN commands play but can shoot in the 40s and completely go missing. Add in the fact that none of them ever seem to be firing at the same time and things get worse. I think I personally would run Fowler/ATN/Charles/Anstiss/Aryang/Bruce/Lewis for at least a half and only make changes if the players really can’t dig themselves out of the hole.

Bluebird
                        Participant

Players aren’t allowed to dig themselves out of a hole. They have to call time outs, get told by the coach something different from what was asked in the previous time out, and have a cringey pep talk before shouting something as a group. As you can see, I’m not a fan out of the time and atmosphere consuming timeouts.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
                          Participant

Aryang will take Francis spot in the Fever 10 next year.
                            They need another WA C option.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Go to Top