2020 SSN ROUND 8 – MAGPIES v GIANTS

2020 SSN ROUND 8 – MAGPIES v GIANTS2020-08-29T10:55:22+10:00

Forums Australia 2020 SSN ROUND 8 – MAGPIES v GIANTS

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Player of the Match: JLP

Ian Harkin

Giants 69-Magpies 54

Harten 27/34 (79%)
    Austin 25/33 (76%)
    Bassett 7/9 (78%)

Nelson 37/43 (86%)
    Sinclair 10/16 (63%)
    Allen 2/3 (67%)

Super shots: Harten 8/11, Sinclair 3/5, Allen 2/3, Austin 2/5
    Assists: Sinclair 17
    Gains: Ward 11

MVP: Price

Ian Harkin

Not sure how to feel about this one. If you had said before the game Giants would win by 15, I wouldn’t have been surprised. But I feel we were robbed of the chance to see Giants have to dig deep and claw their way back into it slowly. Just one 5 minute power play swung the game.

al_ex
    Participant

The 2nd Quarter power play completely changed the momentum but the Magpies were lucky to be up by so much anyway. In the end the super shot didn’t really decide the end result at all. Madi Browne would have really helped bring some stability and experience to the Magpies attack end. A 26 point turnaround is unacceptable super shot or not.
    Nelson was substandard again today. I’d like to see an Allen/Sinclair circle experimented with. Going forward Magpies really need another GS option.

mcleod
    Participant

Nelson is playing worse than last year, her inability to catch dumbfounds me.
    She misses simple goals,

Ian Harkin
    Bluebird
    Participant

Nelson is bed blocking real netball talent. Commentators go on about what an athlete she is. She just jumps. That’s it. She has no skills. Her screening is poor, her positioning is poor. No surprise that Tbirds started improving once she left.

ashcondon
    Participant

Long time forum reader, new member and first time poster! Thanks for having me :bye:

Just caught on the replay a possible injury to Kelsey Browne in the 4th Quarter. Not sure if it’s minor or a more major injury but have a sense it’s going to set her back.

She landed awkwardly in Q4 9:20. Seeked treatment in time out and then went back out. Physio is seen talking to Rob and then she was subbed off. Physio and doc was then manipulating her previously injured knee on the Physio bed.

Happened admist the JLP falcon so it didn’t catch the eye of the broadcast. Fingers crossed everything is ok and she’s back next game. Would hate to see the pies without both the sisters!!

al_ex
    Participant

Nelson is definitely a prospect. I can’t think of any Australian GSs who are younger than her and more developed. The issue for me is that she’s not a 60 minute starting player but Collingwood have put her in that position before she was ready. It exposed them last year and this year it’s even more apparent. Let’s not forget that CBass could barely catch until about 2010 or 2011. Gretel Tippett has very subpar accuracy until 2017 and look what she did last year. Nelson is still only 21, with the right coaching there’s no reason she can’t be one of the best in the world.

mcleod
    Participant

Kelsey Browne came back quite early from her ACL, there is very heavy strapping on the knee.
    I’d like to hope it was 100% healed.

Jbss
    Participant

I think with ACLS the longer a player takes to come back the better I feel about it. I feel even better still if like Maddy Proud they come back with minimal physical reinforcement however that might just be a confidence thing too.

Nelson has only just started playing netball and is a great prospect. I wonder though why Australia is developing her when GS like Marshall and Gooden(is Samason still playing? She was the biggest thing in Victoria at one point) are probably on par with her and ready to start getting the same coaching. Like others have said she’s not ready for 60 minutes so why isn’t there another player getting on as well.

netballmum
    Participant

Is it easier to teach Shimona Nelson to catch & position than to teach Emma Ryde to jump?

They are both 22 & whilst Nelson is in her 3rd year of starting GS, Ryde has been around for a little longer – albeit with 12 months out (roughly) with major leg injury – but not been able to nail a consistent starting spot – reliable benchie and injury replacement but not a starter when there are other options.

An interesting decision for Rob & co-coaches to make.

Also, the issue with tall, holding shooters is the relatively few Aus middies who can feed them accurately. Fowler makes the Fever middies look better than they are, Aiken is also making some really Poor feeds look good, CBass is bench warming & Pitmann at Tbirds has demonstrated for a number of years that she can’t feed a tall accurately And consistently.

Maybe this is the real reason for the 2 point shot!(just stirring!)

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by netballmum.
    Tully
    Participant

Nelson is better than Marshall, Samason and Gooden. Sure she has work to do but she is stronger than them. Collingwood obviously chose Ryde as the best of the young Australian GS to have as backup.

I’d like to see Marshall go somewhere other than Giants next year, search for an opportunity. Look at what Dwan has done with court time and there are so many young shooters at Giants. Samason remains entrenched at the Vixens (VIS, NV development squad and Vixens academy) however has been unable to play post her ACL due to ANL cancellation etc. I would expect if she trains well then she may return as a Vixens TP next year but without the opportunity to play this year anything more would be difficult.
    Gooden was At Collingwood but they like Vixens let her go. Crazy TBirds picked her up over Hodges.

Jbss
    Participant

I doubt that if any of those players had been given the game time/development/opportunities that Nelson has been given that they would still be dropping balls cold. Last year she had Medhurst, Browne, Braz and Rav out the front and still didn’t dominate. That’s not to say those players never threw the ball away but it really makes you question the shunting of Thwaites and unwillingness to sub her off. If you back young players and the strength of the ANL it pays off look at all the breakout seasons players are having this year. I also see having imports as crucial to keeping the comp as the best in the world but the imports chosen should be the likes of Ward, Mentor, Fowler and Harten.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2020 SSN ROUND 8 – MAGPIES v GIANTS