2020 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

2020 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL2019-11-12T22:04:49+10:00

Forums Australia 2020 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 191 total)
  • Author

Ian HarkinIan Harkin
    mcleod
    Participant

So less that 5 weeks from the start of the SSN, Queensland has just said all sports teams from Melbourne must isolate for 14 days, when they return to Qld. I’m sure more states will follow.

Mellbourne has 75 new cases today.

What are the Vixens and Magpies going to do. Big questions for the SSN bosses.

NettySuperFan
    Participant

One solution to this would be setting up a hub in SA or WA and play all the games there for the season. It would be an extremely big ask for a lot of athletes/coaches/staff and their families but the only other option at this point seems like no season at all for 2020

mcleod
    Participant

The cost factor would be to high, I read somewhere few weeks ago.

I hate to say it but I think the SSN might be gone for 2020.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

You know that would really suck for players but I understand that health is very important right now. They’ve worked so hard and then to not get a season, get a massive pay cut, it’s a lot for them to deal with. The only silver lining I can see is that maybe, just maybe, it will give players a chance to talk to the SSN committee about this stupid two point rule.

mcleod
    Participant

25 days out from Rd 1, and we still are waiting for the draw.
    The boarder between Victoria and NSW closes tonight, surely that makes it so much harder for The Vixens and Magpies.

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

al_ex
    Participant

Wonder if we’ll see a southern and northern conference system, where the NSW/QLD teams compete and the Victorians relocate to play in SA/WA. Seems drastic but it’s surely the only way we’ll see the Vixens and Magpies competing on the 1st of August, and then at least the entire competition doesn’t need to be relocated.

Ian HarkinIan Harkin

Yes, a good chance of something like that.

mcleod
    Participant

It’s not going to happen is it, or will it be a 6 team comp.
    Surely the Vixens and Pies are not going to be able to train.
    Guessing it’s to late to move out of the State.

DexiNBL
    Participant

It doesn’t look good. Vixens and Pies would have to get an exemption to enter NSW/SA/QLD without quarantining 14 days, something the A-league teams can’t get right now.

Even a shortened season of 7 rounds with both teams in a hub would cost NA an absolute bomb. Fingers crossed they get an exemption otherwise I have grave fears for a meaningful SSN competition in 2020.

al_ex
    Participant

Surely if they relocate one team to Adelaide and one to Perth it wouldn’t be *too* expensive, especially if they run a southern and northern conference. The league normally funds 51 return flights for teams playing away during the main season (6 for SCL/FIR/SWI/GIA/VIX, 7 for THU/FEV/COL), but would only need to pay for 40 if teams would play those in their own conference three times for the first 9 weeks and then the other teams once to make a 13 week season. This saving would probably absorb the cost of long-term rentals for players, especially if their residences in Melbourne can be rented out in some way. It would be tough on the Melbourne teams, but I’m sure they would take it if it was offered. It would increase costs but not to the same extent that the NRL and AFL systems have, and I would hope there would be enough money somewhere that it could be managed at least for a shortened season.

Jinxibo
    Participant

The bottom line is SSN will have to take some form of financial loss. They just need to decide what it is and how much… From what has been said on the forum, 2 teams will be effected and during lockdown those two teams will not be able to train or leave the state for 6 weeks. Surely that means they will not be able to participate in SSN? therefore SSN will need to continue with less teams, delay the season (again) or cancel the season.

I get the impression they don’t want to cancel the season, so which :unsure:

I suggest they copy ANZP, central venue, shorten the season (especially if it means they can get Vixens and Mags involved) drop the 2 point shot and adopt 12 minute quarters

Madnetballdad
    Participant

cancel the season – then Marina Go and acolytes (including all those who work for the Nine Network as commentators – and who should know better) can quietly forget about the 2 point abomination.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2020 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL