2021 ANZP ROUND 14

2021 ANZP ROUND 142021-07-16T23:27:30+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 14

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think Noels will have a good sit down with Maia and see where she is at. A break might be what’s needed here. I have never seen her shoot this bad in her 5 years playing at this level. It’s not just the missed shots, but her entire demeanour has significantly changed. I hope she can sort out what’s going on. Player welfare must be addressed.

WeWood
      Participant

You’ve hit the nail on the head JR. We need GAs who are willing to turn to the post and the times when their teams have needed it, Hume and Metuarau have delivered.

Waylay
        Participant

I hope for Maia’s sake she sits out next week’s game and takes a break. It’s a nothing game for the Stars anyway, and the Stars have Falkner and Malesala who are very capable of taking the load.

Maryann
          Participant

Gail Parata (Pulse Coach) is gone at the seasons end – by mutual agreement according to the article on Stuff.

TB
            Participant

I hope Maia is okay!

Her game went downwards, after she posted to Instagram about her body image. I do wonder if it’s played a part in her loss of form?
              I hope she’s able to get the help she needs. Like someone said on here, it’s the first time in her elite career that she’s ever shot so poorly.

In saying that, DNT has a way of bringing out the best in her players. No doubt she’ll be right there to support all her players, that maybe struggling.

NZChampion
              Participant

Good call. I didn’t hold much hope for them when she was announced.

I hated her starting 7. Jury in GD. Gordan played everywhere after winning a championship in WA where she was outstanding. Tibble nowhere near the fitness levels, died out in every 2nd half. Nawai, well this would be a good experience for her. But she wasn’t up to it and very high in penalties. The biggest balls up was Mason just sitting on that bench. Such a huge talent and a wasted opportunity.

Onwards and upwards for Pulse. Don’t bring back any coaches that didn’t win anything from the past.

mcleod
                Participant

Maia was shooting mid 80% in the 2 games the Stars lost to the Mystics. The whole team not just Maia were outplayed by a fired up Tactix side, who had to keep winning and are a different side when they play in Christchurch.

Last night was sad to see, but she did rebound 3/4 of her misses. I’m sure once back in Ferns mode, Maia will be fine.

I actually think since the Stars did their Haka, they haven’t been the same. They lost by 13 goals to the Pulse that day, got lucky to beat the Tactix. After rd 11, they still had a good buffer over the Steel and Tactix. But it just ended so quick.

sarahlove
                  Participant

I feel for Kiri with the leave her on/take her off decision.
                    I agree that her shot was well off – no disputing that.
                    However, throughout the first three quarters, they were neck and neck with the Steel and Maia was still playing well (besides the shot) enough that the Steel couldn’t leave her free. There is also something to be said for having your big game players on the court for the big moments, but when she didn’t sort it by the end of the 3rd, Kiri had her hand forced.
                    I really feel for Faulkner too – games are not won and lost in one moment.

Kwkiwi
                    Participant

@NZ champion -accurate summation of the Pulse’s season. Will be interesting how many of the key players return to the Pulse next season. Not sure how Tibble got the GA starting role. Also thought Mason and Lokotui got virtually no court time. Nawai left on even when she was getting comprehensively outplayed. Mason and Lokotui were at least as good as Nawai.

thunder123
                      Participant

I have always wondered if Mason and Lokatui were selections of YMD or the Pulse franchise as a whole. Seemed like Parata didn’t want Mason there. Lokatui got a bit of court time.
                        Would’ve been also interesting about who made the choice to get Souness back. Won a premiership with Gordon/Kersten WA/C combo.

stars-supporter
                        Participant

Mason was on managed court time, not sure if it was because there are rules about playing in the next tier down or if there were other reasons for like injury.

I also wondered if it was the same for Tui to stay eligible for the Northern Marvels.

Nesian
                          Participant

I think Maia will be fine. It’s just a couple of poor games by her standards over a great career to date. I hope she plays this week because it would be a good game to get back into her groove with nothing on the line.

Tibble got the starting role because there was no one else. I think she has done amazing for someone who signed with the expectation of playing the odd couple of minutes here and there. She sits third in accuracy and second in attempts amongst all GA. Imagine if she was fit how good she would be.

The writing was on the wall for Parata a long time ago. Now that she isn’t there the Pulse have a far better chance of retaining some of their star players because some were looking to move if she was still there next season. The next coach will also help retain any players that were looking at moving.

WeWood
                            Participant

Nesian because you have impeccable sources, are the Pulse rolling out the red carpet and throwing money at YMD to come back?

Wanting to focus on Manukura was her reason for stepping down in the first place?

Also, do we think Parata will head up the road to the Magic?

Maryann
                              Participant

No to Parata heading to Magic. Magic have been battling for too long and need someone with more experience – Julie Seymour springs to mind if willing to relocate. Fly in fly out isn’t an option really and players contracted need to either move closer to the training facility or be prepared to travel for team practices during the week.

worsie
                                Participant

“ I actually think since the Stars did their Haka, they haven’t been the same. They lost by 13 goals to the Pulse that day, got lucky to beat the Tactix. After rd 11, they still had a good buffer over the Steel and Tactix. But it just ended so quick.”
                                  You know, that thought about :scratch: the Hakka, crossed my mind as well…….. :negative:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by worsie.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 14

Go to Top