2021 ANZP ROUND 15

2021 ANZP ROUND 152021-07-23T18:43:34+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 15

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Refusing to do a fitness test? Does Semple actually have ambitions to become a better player? It would be a shame to see someone with so much talent be that resistant to improving her strength and conditioning.

Great win for the Steel, they’ve won a lot of close matches this year. In fact they’ve won all their close matches this year. It bodes well for them heading into next week.

Nesian
    Participant

@TB I’m always calm. You make me laugh.

Age has a lot to do with it. When you are in your early 30’s the body doesn’t recover as well as it used to, that’s just plain facts. You have to be a lot more proactive with your recovery to even avoid injury and that’s a lot harder when you are training multiple times a week. Compound that with having had two children and you haven’t played semi-pro netball in a good four years then these all become important factors. You then answer a SOS only to have people like you criticise her achievements this season? Please….

So now she’s not fit, she’s just “slower”..OK :scratch:

The only thing we agree on is that Semple is not fit. As an import it isn’t professional to turn up in that shape and at her age there really isn’t a excuse.

Maybe I’m a bit of a softy on so called “unfit” players because my favourite netballer was seldom ever fit enough. Tuiviati, she should have had more games for the Ferns but because she couldn’t run to a line and back before a beep I feel she never got to fulfill her potential in the black dress.

We may be all couch coaches but some of us actually have a clue about what is needed to get to these fitness levels. I’m been involved in a lot of yoyos over the years, what about yourself? I’m sure you have no idea how fit most of these woman are, even the ones that don’t make SF fitness standards.

stars-supporter
    Participant

Hear hear about Cat Latu – a brilliant tricky player who didn’t get the opportunity to showcase her skill on the international stage. It was crazy the commentary about her weight while she was with the Mystics. :negative:

TB
    Participant

Okay @Nesian so you answered my question. She was an SOS? So the answer is, she didn’t do a full preseason, right?

I’m not getting into this “I’ve been apart of X Y Z……….what about you?” You don’t know me personally, or what experience I have, which is fine.

I have never called Tibble unfit, I was responding/asking why (from comments about her fitness) she’s not fit? Maybe the way I worded it came across as mean, I don’t know.
    But again, this all comes back to the coaches.

Anna Stanley was on Sky Sports, they were discussing the unfit players for Magic. She said she wouldn’t be selecting players who were unfit, and couldn’t reach X on the yo-yo test (she was referring to the Silverferns standards).

Nesian
    Participant

@TB, I can’t remember at what stage she came into the equation so I honestly couldn’t tell you if she did the full preseason or not.

The only reason I ask about whether you have been involved in any yoyo’s is because all people see are numbers and unless you have some context around those numbers then you don’t actually have an appreciation of how fit they are. I know a lot of these ladies are fitter than a good percentage of super rugby players and some are even fitter than a lot of the All Blacks. I wasn’t meaning to get personal with you. If it came to a fitness test between you and I , I think you would win hands down. The only time I run now is if I’m being chased or chasing food :-)

Interesting what you said about Ann Stanley and the Magic. If they were going to use the SF fitness standards for that team then Erena and Faka are out. Semple and probably Basset are out. That’s fine being fit but who is going to defend and shoot if that were the case?

I did hear at the start of the season that some of the teams (two who are in the finals) made an agreement that those who didn’t pass certain fitness criteria wouldn’t play. That went by the wayside very quickly when fitness targets weren’t being met in training.

TB
    Participant

She did specifically name Semple and Miss F, saying “there’s no way they would have passed the test.” She was quite harsh on Metcalfe putting the blame on her, as she was the one that selected them (she did say it in a respectful way – but was very honest and direct with her comments).

The clip is on YouTube – Sky Sports NZ (I think). Great discussions they have on there.

TB
    Participant

@Nesian my fitness levels go right through the roof when I’m chasing food, I would legit make it to the olympics 😂😂😂😂

al_ex
    Participant

On a bit of a different note, it was very interesting to hear from Adine Wilson that she believed that imports could not be signed higher than a Tier 3 in the salary cap system. I don’t know the exact tiers but I think that would put even the best imports on no more than $50K NZD plus some extra money for third-party arrangements. That’s probably half the money that someone like Fisher would get in SSN, so it’ll be interesting to see if Steel can keep her.

mcleod
    Participant

ANZ players can get 3rd party payments. And since the Steel are wealthy. Fisher would be well looked after.

sarahlove
    Participant

I think it is important to remember how things got to where they are as well, specifically Tibble.
    She signed as the 3rd shooter, probably thinking she would get a 1/4 here and there. When you sit behind Ameliaranne and Dunn, you wouldn’t expect more. In that case, her general fitness level would have been fine. Tibble is experienced and played in the ANZ before. She is a clever, crafty playmaker with a good shot and smart court play. I think she played well for the Pulse this year, and that is the part that matters the most. In my memory, I don’t recall her making more errors on the back end of games, which would be a sign that she wasn’t fit enough. I think Ivana Rowland would have learned so much from her.
    The choice of Ivana Rowland (who I love!) from outside the region for the extra spot might indicate something about the shooting stocks locally.

I am a little concerned at the comments made by Anna Stanley and co about certain players lack of fitness, because I think there is a chance the comments are weight based, which is not particularly helpful, especially when we have had a top level athlete talk about her struggles with mental health, food and body image.

Temepara Bailey did an interview and they asked about this general area, and she said she selects players based on flair and attitude, because you can train in fitness, you can up skill levels but changing someone’s attitude is much harder. I think that is quite important.

Obviously, they are athletes performing at New Zealand’s highest national level, and a certain degree of fitness should be expected. But I don’t think that level needs to be silver fern level for those who are not aspiring to be silver ferns (e.g those who might be a little bit older and dealing with the recovery, injury, time required each week). If there fitness isn’t good enough for what the coach needs from them, then they won’t be picked.
    Noelene has a high expectation of fitness (as she should!) and she doesn’t pick people who don’t meet it.
    The same should occur at ANZ level, but it needs to be discretionary for franchises with their game plan.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by sarahlove.
    mcleod
    Participant

Some teams were so over supplied with shooters, Mystics and Stars have 4 of them. And a team like the Tactix who in 1 round had to bring in a high school student from Auckland, and a 32yr old part time player, full time Doctor and Mum. As their 1st choice GS Bird and their 2nd and 3rd back up were injured.

So what I am trying to say. Is there a option in the future to loan out players from other clubs. It happens in some other sports, maybe Netball could do the same. Someone like Saviour Tui siting on the bench for 15 games was a waste of talent.

Maryann
    Participant

Mystics starting 7

GS Newke
    GA Vui
    WA Toeava
    C Earle
    WD Ioane
    GD Burley
    GK Fitzpatrick

Ian Harkin
    NZChampion
    Participant

Let’s go Tactix!

NZChampion
    Participant

Solid game so far as expected! Tactix just need to calm down a bit on attack. 4 goals in it which is nothing really.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 15