2021 ANZP ROUND 15

2021 ANZP ROUND 152021-07-23T18:43:34+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 15

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I thought Nweke really proved herself as the best NZ GS of the season too

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Agreed hbhp. Nweke outplayed Watson and Burger. They had no effect on her, too strong physically as well. That high jump training sure does help. No one in Nz is going to win a one on one rebounding competition against her. Would be interesting to see her play in the Suncorp league.
    I think Steel will be the nay ones that can beat mystics if Steel win the game against tactix.

Can’t believe Rob Wright is assistant to Helene Wilson. Wonder where he will end up.

Can’t wait for final. Far too long in between games now. Not enough netball happening🤪.

mcleod
    Participant

Actually thought Watson played very well. She is not going to compete one on one with Nweke, and with Burger on a warning that didn’t help either. Ball wasn’t slowed down enough by the outside D. Anyone with half a Netball brain would know that’s what is needed for Watson to do her thing.

And why would Nweke want to play in the SSN, I’m sure she would like to be a Silver Fern not a club player overseas.

And considering the Tactix actually had more shots the Tactix did a dam fine job. Te Paea’s rubbish shooting was the problem.

stars-supporter
    Participant

What’s with wanting to see players in SSN? That’s what internationals are for… B-)

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Disagree with you there @mckeod. Lack of slowing the ball down had nothing to do with Watson being ineffective against Nweke. Watson is undersized for a GK, she will struggle against any of the taller GS where the ball can be lobbed in by the opposition to the shooter. Definitely got out muscled and went flying several times when she did try to leap to get the ball against Nweke.

mcleod
    Participant

Well keep getting used to her at GK for the Ferns, she not going anywhere.
    Every GS is taller than Watson.
    Watson was the best defender in the Con Cup in March. Sulu who is taller, was ineffective against Koenen and Austin.
    Jane moved back to her right position of GK, and Ferns stormed home.

Kelly Jury who is the tallest GK in NZ struggles against Nweke, she is almost same height.

If you had heard the pre game comments from the Tactix coach, she said they needed to stop the ball before getting in the circle, as they can’t get in a jumping comp with Grace.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maryann
    Participant

Agreed that against Grace the mid court need a much stronger defensive presence against the Mystics attack to stop the passes through to Grace. She is continuing to strengthen her take on the ball and its a bit like Fowler (Fever), once that ball goes in its a goal.

My two favourite teams, Tactix and Mystics :) Did Jane really get bounced of Grace last night or was it a nudge and good acting (like Sulu can do)?

I think the Steel has proven that they will be the biggest threat to Mystics – look what they did last game when Toeava was totally shut down and the team just lost the game plan.

Burger last night, no it wasn’t deliberate, she does have a habit of flying in and trying to stop between shooter and line on court. Last night she stopped, normally she over runs. But to her credit she did modify her game, justifying the decision not to take her off. She was still a good force to be reckoned with in defence.

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Watson is effective against a moving circle like in the con cup due to her fast reflexes. Ie the Oz circle was Austin and Koenan. Wood is also a moving circle shooter. Not so effective against tall shooters who can out leap her. In saying that, a lot of the time it appears to me that she is closer than three feet, or jumping in, but it doesn’t seem to get called. Maybe she just has extra long arms?

Not saying at all that she shouldn’t be in the Ferns, just saying against the likes of Fowler and Aitken you’ll get the same outcome as yesterday’s game. In which case Jury who is taller, might be a better option if Watson is not able to counter the high ball.

In yesterday’s game I don’t think the Tactix, in particular, failed to slow down the ball. I thought Ellen and Poi played quite well. In fact the mystics subbed off Toeava and it was a pretty even match up that Poi had with Earle .

TB
    Participant

A shooter like Nweke, JFR and Aiken will out jump and muscle any defender. It’s the work done out front, that’ll help any GK out.

I really liked the way Mystics ran their lineups. They obviously had a goal of getting everyone on court, without compromising the outcome. Having that buffer at half time, gave them the confidence to make those changes. All players did their job well!

mcleod
    Participant

I hope Maia Wilson can find her shooting form tonight. Been hard to watch her last 2 weeks.
    I’m a fan of Maia, and nobody enjoyed seeing what happened against the Tactix and Steel.

Maryann
    Participant

Agreed McLeod and I do hope she is mentally and physically okay to be playing. For someone so young she has a lot going on in her life currently.

Ian Harkin
    NZChampion
    Participant

Hope they have fun tonight and put on a good show. Use the flair and lose the attitudes and enjoy the last game.

Ian Harkin

1/4 time: Stars 16-9

Wilson 10/14 (71%)
    Hume 6/6 (100%)

Bassett 7/8 (88%)
    Williams 7/8 (88%)

NZChampion
    Participant

I reckon Maia is pregnant.

Good game so far from stars. Oh what could have been for them.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 15