2021 ANZP ROUND 2

2021 ANZP ROUND 22021-04-24T00:21:43+10:00
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Truly fascinating to watch some of these games. I saw Stars v Tactix and Magic v Pulse.

Yes, Tactix take way too long to find Bird and miss TPSR. But also, despite the brilliance of Burger and Watson in defence, the C and WD did not act as a unit enough to work the game plan, so especially in the second half the ball was just zinging around for Stars. That’s a shame, because Poi can be so good in defence. Also, it’s very clear why Wilson is a Fern and not Bird, Wilson has so much strength, versatility, and agility. Also loving Harrison in defence. Hard to pick MVP so I don’t disagree with Crampton for the sentimental reasons of playing 100 matches.

This was a scary melee in the mid court, which the umpires did a little to control but really was awful, especially Gordon at WD for Pulse, who did at least fix up her play a bit in Q2. After you get over that, basically every Pulse player won their position. I like watching Dunn how graceful she is dodging and opening out on the baseline. Bassett has never had that, and her feeders don’t know yet what to do. Jury was especially good at GD but her young supporter Nawai at GK was sound and did the basics well. The real highlight was how Kersten and Poi were SO elusive, SO fast, and SO good at the cut and drive. It was bizarre how it took Magic so long to adjust, and once Winders actually fired up there were still fighting for scraps.

Hopefully Kara isn’t particularly injured. Oh yes and Williams at GA was considerably better than Semple, much quicker and smarter, with equal accuracy.

mcleod
      Participant

What worries me, is why are the umpires missing/letting go, the of the ball hits, or lit contacts.
        Maddy Gordon was shocking. Are the umpires to scared to do anything.
        Pulse v Magic was a terrible game to watch.

Kwkiwi
        Participant

Loved watching Dunn last night. The ferns are missing out on a great player leaving her out of the team. She wouldn’t be any unfitter than any of the other tall goal shoots in the Oz/nz leagues. She hasn’t lost her effectiveness playing with Tibble and not Eke. In fact seems to have quite good chemistry with Tibble. Souness was also fabulous. Foot speed was spectacular.

mcleod
          Participant

Maybe Dunn doesn’t want to be a Fern again. Yes she has the goods.

thunder123
            Participant

Did the Steel get rid of Crampton at the end of last season? She’s come out saying she wishes she got to 100 at Steel. I know it would be nice to play 100 at one club, but interesting.

TB
              Participant

I thought she left on her own accord? Could be wrong ?‍♂️

TB
                Participant

Magic have a good team, but IMO their combinations are all wrong.

Mikaere and Faka should be sharing the GK bib. Tong is there best option at GD, and should be starting there.

I know I keep on banging on about it, but Grace Kara should be at GA. I feel their attacking end would be stronger if they used one of their young ones at WA, as opposed to using the young GAs they have.

Kara and Winders, are two dominant middies. Winders is similar to Langman, as she can get really involved in the attack (almost can take every second ball). I feel by having Kara back at GA, it’ll open up the court for Winders. And Kara can work her Magic in the circle.

A few weeks back I commented on a Magic Insta post “please play Grace at GA”. Which got a like by Grace Kara, and her two sisters ?? (I know it’s not much, but I’m going to take that one ?)

Nesian
                  Participant

@thunder123 Crampton left on her own accord once the Steel missed out on Dunn. I think she might have stayed if she had known that Tiana and Georgia were signing for the Steel but they were pretty late signings.

thunder123
                    Participant

Well I thought the same Nesian, but just heard a few things saying she’d like to have played 100 with the Steel. But would be weird celebrating your 100th, after only playing 2 for your new club.

minkie
                      Participant

Doubt Ferns are missing out at all by not having Dunn there. She knows what’s required re fitness. Noels has always made her requirements well known.
                        Mystics? Still wish they wouldn’t throw the long ball into Grace, some passes she collides with the goal post to catch. I always cringe with her landings. Commentators commented on a few shoves from players, umpires should be controlling the game more. Seems to be alot of physicality going and not being pulled up. Here’s hoping there’s no injuries from it. Ellie Bird used to be so reliable, hope she’s ok.

WeWood
                        Participant

Didn’t watch any games this weekend but after seeing comments on the Pulse vs Magic physicality I checked out the highlights on SKY GO.

What I thought was an excellent piece of umpiring – and didn’t get a mention on here – was Armstrong-Lush calling time and addressing both Winders and Souness. She referred to half time discussions re grabbing and told both of players to pull their heads in essentially. May have been good to also incl. Kersten as Pulse captain, however I think everyone got the message. Although others may think that was too little too late.

Also noted Wai having plenty to say in the stands, as the camera was focused on her during the Winders/Souness exchange.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by WeWood.
                          Jinxibo
                          Participant

Having watched the Storm/Pulse VNSL match tonight I think ANZP should invite Gary Burgess over for a season.

OMG he took no nonsense in the second half. Told the players off for making comments like “held”, said that it was his job, not theirs. At one point two players were fighting for position on the edge of the D and he cautioned them both. In one quarter he cautioned the GK,GD,WD, both Cs and WA.

In total there were over 120 penalties in 48 minutes of play :wacko: still can’t believe no one got sent off.

NZChampion
                            Participant

Gary Burgess would be excellent to have over here. Such a good umpire.

Dare I say it, Jono wouldn’t put up with that nonsense either. ?

Dunn is excelling this year I think. It could be her time to shine. Now is the best time to put your foot forward towards CWGs. Here’s hoping she’s up for it this year. Because she was so steady for Pulse without Eke.

Gordon was wreck less in WD. Then the move to WA was really hard for her to adjust. In all honesty, I think she’s stronger at WA with Souness in GA. Jury had a fabulous game. That wing span is a nightmare!

That was a bit of a train wreck from Magic. Hopefully they got their worst game behind them. Now to play harder and consistent.

mcleod
                              Participant

Never thought I’d see Kelly Jury at GD, but she is impressing so far.
                                Such long arms.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Go to Top