2021 ANZP ROUND 9

2021 ANZP ROUND 92021-06-11T20:37:24+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 9

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well Ekenasio had it easy as Ferns captain, as they didn’t lose under her watch. I wonder what she would have said if say the Ferns lead by 5 with 6 min to go and lost by 2. Sam Sinclair speaks well, but it’s the same each game, coz Magic always lose.

Steel didn’t win last night, Tactix (well mainly one player,) lost it.

Casey Kopua/Williams used to fire up in her after match interviews, I remember her saying she was “pissed off” with her team when she was Magic captain.

TB
    Participant

I think every captain is different on how they approach things.
    The things I love about a captain (in terms of dealing with media), is their honesty. Call it for what it is, which Casey did very well.
    I love hearing Sam Winders interviews, she speaks really well. She does kind of remind of Langman.

My Silverferns team (based on what I’ve seen so far – bare in mind I haven’t seen all the games):

Shooters: Wilson Nweke Hume – a toss between Mes and TPSR
    Midcourt: Crampton Gordon Poi Winders
    Defenders: Watson (C) Sulu Jury Burger

Don’t feel we need two WDs, as we have Burger to cover there. I do like Gordon at C/WA, and that’s why I chose her over Souness, as she’s a better cover for C.

Hume is playing in a similar-ish style to Falkner. Though I feel like she’s playing it better. Her form deserves a call up. Mes and TPSR are experienced campaigners, they would slot in easily.

WeWood
    Participant

I (personally) don’t think Saunders and Kersten will be dropped for both Gordon and Poi. I could see Saunders given the nod instead of Gordon and Kersten being let go. Yes Gordon provides cover across all three positions but I think Saunders can play WD at elite level as well as Gordon.

In saying that, I would like to see how Metuarau goes in the Ferns environment, but similar to my argument above Taurua isn’t going to drop both TPSR and Mes for two newbies. If I had to pick between the two, TPSR gets the nod for mine.

I expect that defensive foursome you’ve picked to be chosen.

Maryann
    Participant

Very disappointed with TP last night – her greatest opportunity to stand up and say look at me, I am a leader at the attack end and look what I can do. But she didn’t – she still looks uninspired a lot of the time, never sprinted to where she needs to be and wasted so many opportunities. If I was Noels I would drop both her and Mes and blood some new GA’s – ones who are prepared to go to the hoop constantly and who don’t turn over so much ball. I understand that both Mes and TP are likely under instructions from their coaches to mostly be third feeders but that relies on accurate feeding. Metuarau offers as much, if not more, as the two of them.

Not so sure about Watson as Captain, I’ve heard a bit of discussion about her manner and the SF team has voting input into who their leader is.

Gordon needs more time, yes she is fast and flashy but also quite dangerous and spends a bit of time wiping the floor and hurting herself. Better to have a mid courter who is less flashy.

Baller
    Participant

One of the reasons why NT was so successful in 2019 was her broad selection of players prior to the WC. E.g Toeava, Dunn to name a few.

I’m hoping she does something like this again to see who can replicate their ANZ form internationally.
    Whittle down the midcourt talent and trial shooters in real-time.

I think 2022 will be even interesting when players return back from maternity leave.

mcleod
    Participant

I don’t think Ekenasio will return to the Ferns.
    The ANZ is likely to start in say Feb or early March next year, baby is due in November. Does not give much time to get fully Netball fit.
    I have not heard anything regarding Jane Watson’s manner. She keeps being he Tactix captain, and does a dam fine job. She was the captain in game 2 of the con Cup.

al_ex
    Participant

I definitely wouldn’t pick TPSR for the Ferns based on yesterday and other performances this year. I’m not even sure if she’d pass the fitness standard.

For Constellation Cup I’d go with Wilson, Hume, Dunn and Nweke. Wilson can play GA if Hume really goes off. It’s not a tournament format so they don’t need to be as worried about fatigue. I thought Mes and Falkner would have big years this season but it hasn’t really eventuated. Metuarau is almost there but not quite. Players like Malesala, Falkner, Vui and Tui need to move clubs next year to get more court time.

mcleod
    Participant

Tactix should be sitting in the top 3 with ease, they still might end up 3rd, Steel have a tricky finish.
    But Te Paea needs to pull finger and get with it. Tactix should have won last night, which would have been one of their best ever wins, in terms of who was at GS. The defenders did their job, got plenty of ball, but to see it stuffed up by the senior player was so frustrating.

nanator
    Participant

TP has moments of brilliance last night, but then just loses any drive. I only watched the second half and I thought Poi was very stagnant as well – no cut and drives. Is Erikana out with injury or out of form? Tactix could use Gordon at WA

mcleod
    Participant

Pedersen is injured, Tactix suffering with ill timed injuries. Bird was a massive loss, Tactix put 60 on the Steel last time they played. I do think if the game was played in Christchurch the crowd would have made a diff, but the Nelson lot were asleep.

nanator
    Participant

For Con Cup I’d take Wilson, Nweke, Mes and TPSR. I just can’t imagine Hume keeping her own against the likes of Bruce, Weston, Mentor, Quashie.

If Tiana can improve her volume, she would definitely be in above TPSR – also offers a complete different option at WA.

TB
    Participant

Let’s not forget, the Tactix wouldn’t even be in finals contention if TPSR was still out injured.
    Prior to her come back, the Tactix were losing quite easily. She was literally a “15-20 point” turnaround.

I understand that there is more expected of her, and rightly so. But maybe her injuries/niggles hasn’t fully recovered, and being the General in the attacking end is playing its toll on her.

mcleod
    Participant

Tactix are only 3 points behind the Steel, who have the Stars on Saturday. Steel have been hampered by big delays getting home today, fog and lots of it. Tactix the Magic, so all going well. Be both on level points come Monday night

WeWood
    Participant

Talking of shooting options, I hope the Magic/Ferns put together an off-season plan for Semple. Work on her conditioning and get her to Taurua fitness levels and she would be a great add to the Ferns. Her volume and court craft in the time she is on court shades a lot of established players.

Maryann
    Participant

WeWood – agree about Semple.

I’m more than a little concerned about the ANZ contracted players who have seen little court time in the competition this season i.e. Tui. How many others have been sitting on the bench game after game? I know some of these have been playing Beko but the gap between Beko and ANZ has grown – a lot and there are not as many players from Beko now able to make that jump between levels in the event of injury to a starting player.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 ANZP ROUND 9