2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v Eng (Sept)

2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v Eng (Sept)2021-08-26T18:23:25+10:00

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 464 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It was a good contest but I have to say I was disappointed with the Roses…

That was our game for the taking and we slipped up. IMO there were a few things that the coaching team should have been aware of and addressed either before or during the match.

1 – WA. We’ve had a problem with this position for a while now. Malcolm played it during the last international but she has struggled in the position all season. Thunder dropped her as WA after the first few games. They improved when she started playing C/WD. We should have had a plan B. What about SDL or Dixon?? have to admit I’d try both of them before Joseph. @CB98 comments are spot on. As TNev would say she needs to do the job that’s on her bib first.
      2 – GD. Guscoth excelled at GD and it was right to start her but bringing the ball through the court is not her strong point, IMO. I noticed it first when she played WD and then at T/birds. She has a habit of driving into the space, stopping and then flowing around it said space. Not clearing out of it or re-offering :wacko: IMO she was doing it again today and that was why Roses seemed to struggle getting the ball out of D.

B-) having said all of that I’m going to re-watch the game

Jinxibo
      Participant

Can someone post the link to the match centre please??

I want to check the penalty count

moley02
        Participant

Can’t post links which is stupid, how is that even a thing? Anyway the live scoring thing can be found through the Silver Ferns webpage, pretty easy to find go to fixtures and results, Taini Jamieson the click on live scoring. Hope that helps

enozlas
          Participant

Remember the roses are missing what is most likely their 3 starting attackers. I thought Cardwell and Fisher held up very well but with Harten and Housby as options that immediately strengthens the attack end. Haythornthwaite is your answer at WA so it’s not all doom and gloom yet. Having Haythornthwaite/Malcom as options in WA will make for strong rotations and impact players when needed.

Not sure why people can’t post links. Sorry. Will have to look into that. The final penalty count was 61-32 with Mentor and Guscoth both penalised 15 times while Burger was the highest for NZ with just 7.

Here is the Champion Data stats page…

https://mc.championdata.com/netball_nz/index.html?competitionid=11496&matchid=114960101

London Pulse’s Sam Bird gives her thoughts on test one…

Vitality Roses defeated by New Zealand in Christchurch

Cb98
                              Participant

@Jinxibo agree about guscoth! Noticed that a lot at the Tbirds last year when they’d swap Shimmin out for Guscoth – suddenly they really struggled to move the ball down court with Guscoth not really offering much on attack. I think in this game it wasn’t as noticeable with Allison in WD, but that could also be because the Roses generally had faster transitions in the second half

I don’t understand why the focus of this series in NZ for the Roses wouldn’t be developing/trying out more WA options – Haythornthwaite is a great player, but you need depth and options, and Malcolm just doesn’t have the right touch on the feed yet and tries to force feeds. Malcolm would absolutely be a great impact player when you want a defensive WA to win you back ball, but when the issue is the feed into the circle I don’t understand why you would persist with her.

TB
                                Participant

I still think NZ should be winning by more. Nat H, Harten and Housby are like a 20 point turnaround. Then you add in “international umpires” and there’s a few more points there too.

In saying that, I did like what I saw. There is so much room for improvement (for both teams). Good to see Wilson in better form. And Tiana played with so much confidence, being her first outing.

I am looking forward to seeing what Nweke and Toeava can do. Hopefully we see them at some stage of this series.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 464 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top