2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team

2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team2021-09-12T11:05:46+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Agree with @TB.

We wouldn’t want a repeat of Glasgow when we were down our two starting shooters, Leota and Saunders were filling in at GA and Kopua was practicing her shots ahead of the England semi.. it will be a 4/4/4 split.

HBHP
    Participant

Gosh the men’s coach seems like such a lovely person!

Maryann
    Participant

Don’t forget NZ have Phoenix Karaka and Michaela Sokolich Beatson coming back as well.

museboy
    Participant

Gordon is handy for tournaments as she can start in all three midcourt positions, hence I’m not surprised that Noeline is pushing her so much.

I haven’t seen the game yet but I like the depth these series is building, considering who is missing. I think we can expect one or two important players to miss the CWG through injury or other reasons, so now is the time to blood newbies.

Do we think Jury is likely to make the CWGs? Her combination with Burger seems to be growing.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by museboy.
    Kerryn
    Participant

I thought Jury played really well on Sunday night, one of the best games I’ve seen her play, yet last night I thought she was quite slow and flat footed – something the guys definitely exploited time and time again. so I am kind’ve hoping some of the ‘old guard’ are fit and healthy for the CWG – as I don’t think Sulu is the answer either (she really didn’t wow in the slightest against England) – Karaka can play all 3 defensive positions, as can Rore, and Johnson can play – well pretty much wherever you put her, and if Tong/Burley/Temu/Lokotui can also have blinder ANZ champs then it make for some very difficult decisions for Noels and her team

can NZ enter a second team? I think they’d have a shot at finish top 6 lol

actually a series with NZ/AUS/ENG top teams and A teams could be quite interesting – I don’t think any one else would have enough strength to field two strong teams (I would’ve suggested an U21 team but half our players last night would fit both lol) and set team lists so no chopping and changing between games. could be good prep before the next world cup – then you get to see some of the A team players up against top teams (for example – Nwweke – you never know if she’s up to it until you put them up against international defense – and at a world champs is a big ask for a young player)

just my morning musings before I get started on some work

Baller
    Participant

Based on the comments post game press conference I’m assuming NT will stick with her key players.

I wonder if we might see another Cadbury series pre Comm games. Love the blue men’s uniform BTW.

mcleod
    Participant

Watson and Burger will be 2 sure defenders for Com Games. It’s up 2 the rest to show what they have. Pre season starts soon, so train hard, work hard and show boss what they have.

steelsupporter84
    Participant

My view on the defenders, Jury played her way to the com games over this series. The defensive end needs that point of difference and she provides that. It will be the fourth defender who is up in the air as Watson and Burger will be there. Sulu is great but I think they need to take a GD and it might end up being Cullen, Rore or at a stretch Burley.

WeWood
    Participant

If fully fit and willing I think those last two defensive spots will be battled out between Johnson, Rore (and forgot to incl last night), Karaka.

Yes Jury has got the lean, but the other options mentioned above have the agility to come out on the 45s and move around the body. I do think Jury has improved markedly but think if all players are available she will fall down the pecking order come CWG selection time.

thunder123
    Participant

What is everyone’s thoughts on Noels taking an unchanged team into tonight’s match?
    Is now the time to be experimenting with players and combos, or solidifying the current 12.

In my opinion, now is the time to try new combos and players, as anything can happen between now and June! Given these aren’t counted for test caps either, it’s not like Noels is gifting them a cap.

Kerryn
    Participant

We’ve named an unchanged 12 for tonight’s third and final match against Aotearoa Men in Wellington.
    Shooters:
    Jamie Hume
    Tiana Metuarau
    Grace Nweke
    Maia Wilson
    Midcourters:
    Gina Crampton (c)
    Maddy Gordon
    Kate Heffernan
    Claire Kersten
    Shannon Saunders
    Defenders:
    Karin Burger
    Kelly Jury
    Georgia Tong

Ian Harkin
    cookiesnjam
    Participant

I’d really like to see Tong out there. She might be shorter but she has the hops. I feel for Lokotui too- read an article stating that she was aiming for a debut in the black dress but I guess this isn’t happening. I think Jury was tired yesterday so perhaps Tong might bring some freshness.

Baller
    Participant

Too much experimenting went on during the Roses series and it was a shambles for the SF.

I would much prefer the best connections solidified during the very limited game time left.

mcleod
    Participant

Have to wonder why Toeava was selected in the squad. Sure she had a nice ANZ, but that is helped by NZ defence style of play.
    Against England and the close marking of their defenders, she was all at sea.
    No way in the world should she have been in the squad and not Poi.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team