2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team

2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team2021-09-12T11:05:46+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Not fussed on Metuarau or Gordon tonight.

Gadvocate
    Participant

GK for the mens really getting into shooters heads (bar Nweke) all night – needs to be careful on that shout as they shoot though, could / should get called for intimidation…!

Ian Harkin

Men’s team out to an 8 goal lead.

mcleod
    Participant

Kersten at C has done wonders NOT!!!. Noels seems to be the only one who thinks Kersten is something special.

Jayceenz
    Participant

Nweke is looking like she would like to thump someone!!

cookiesnjam
    Participant

Instead of changing the shooters, I’d really like a change in the defence end. Both Jury and Burger look flat imo.

JR
    Participant

Why isn’t it Claire, Shannon and Gina in the mid court?

Ian Harkin

3/4 time: NZ Men 46-38

Wilson 20/27 (74%)
    Metuarau 11/17 (65%)
    Nweke 7/9 (78%)
    Hume 0/0

Geldard 42/43 (98%)
    Smith 4/7 (57%)

Penalties: NZ Men 37-34
    Turnovers: NZ Men 17-13

Men’s team playing well. Godsmark-White in defence has had 6 gains.

Nate
    Participant

Not too sure any of the on court combinations have linked tonight. Re: nweke looking angry, she’s got to learn if she’s gonna push and hold against defenders they can do the same back, thought she wouldve learnt that against Mentor last series.

Maryann
    Participant

cookiesnjam – who do you suggest the circle defenders should have been changed for? They only have three in the squad due to injury and Aucklands covid status. Tong is GK, pretty tiny for the men and is still healing from a rib fracture.
    Jury needs to learn to jump! Kopua, De Bruin and Harrison could/can jump so she should be able to.

Ian Harkin

Full time: NZ Men 57-53

Wilson 20/27 (74%)
    Metuarau 17/23 (74%)
    Nweke 16/20 (80%)
    Hume 0/1 (0%)

Geldard 51/53 (96%)
    Smith 6/9 (67%)

Penalties: NZ Men 53-45
    Turnovers: NZ Men 24-18

MVP: Godsmark-White

Great series finishes 2-1. Exciting netball.

Fun fact: For the men’s team, Jay Geldard played all three matches and finished with the stats of 130/133 at 98%, including one stretch of 73 straight goals without a miss.

Ian Harkin

JR
    Participant

Kruze is so funny wondering if he’ll get back into the team let alone be captain.

That was great. Another shout out to NNZ for making this available to watch in Oz….especially to ‘D Martin’ responding to my emails about technical problems and helping me fix them.

WeWood
    Participant

Anna Stanley in closing comments said she thought Kersten secured the ‘fourth midcourter’ spot in the team. Claire certainly impressed at WD throughout this series and cemented her preferred Ferns position as WD with the ability to swing to C against lesser opposition. I think she’ll benefit at the Magic with another season (assumedly) in the middle to enhance her C/WD credentials.

I think Gordon’s stocks will rise in Season 2022 with solid game time in the C to complement her abilities at WA and WD. A dark horse for Birmingham IMO.

Metuarau I think has absolutely played her way to CWG over the England series and now the Cadbury Series. She was good for the Steel in ANZP but really stepped-on wearing the Silver Ferns dress. Happy to go to post and her feeding game is superb.

Nweke is a GS, Wilson is a GS. Metuarau and Ekenasio are the two GAs in front of them. Think it’s the last we will see of Mes and TPSR in the black dress IMO.

Burger was great in parts, good in others and quiet in some. Taurua will be glad her and Watson have another Tactix season to hone their combination.

This series was the best I’ve seen from Jury since her breakout in the 2017 Quad Series.

My current Ferns 12 for CWG. (assuming all returning players are fit) and available)

Shooters: Ekeansio, Metuarau, Nweke, Wilson
    Midcourt: Crampton, Gordon, Poi, Saunders
    Defence: Burger, Johnson, Rore, Watson

Poi to come back bigger and better in 2022.

Five options at WD if needed (Johnson, Rore, Burger, Gordon and Saunders at a stretch).

Kersten, Winders and Fitzpatrick -pillars of 2020-21 – to unfortunately miss out.

I think we could see a similar approach to the Ferns in 2022 as what LA had with the Diamonds in 2018 (basically first half and second half teams).

My thoughts below with either Johnson or Rore dropping into the circle as needed.
    GS: Wilson / Nweke
    GA: Eke / Metuarau
    WA: Crampton / Saunders
    C: Gordon / Poi
    WD: Johnson / Rore
    GD: Burger
    GK: Watson

This feels quite clear to me, keen to see if other forumers agree.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by WeWood.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by WeWood.
    al_ex
    Participant

I find it so interesting that people always bring up Johnson’s name as a potential Ferns bolter. When was the last time she was bringing the level needed to compete internationally? 2015? Has she even expressed it as an ambition to get back in the black dress? I would expect MSB or Karaka to be there before Johnson.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2021 Cadbury Netball Series – NZ v NZ Men’s Invitational team