2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 732 total)
  • Author

Ian Harkin

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Not blaming the umpires, just making an observation that the calling of the game was clearly a factor in the outcome. In other professional sports leagues, the refereeing stats are looked at closely by the administrators.

thunder123
    Participant

Did Sharelle not travel with the team?
    Only saw MDD

gwalk11
    Participant

I am an Australian and I don’t think the umpiring was that bad. We were clearly rougher, and NZ were playing off the body in defence which will always attract lower penalties. Yes, Australia had a few unlucky calls but also I thought we were trying to milk for penalties in defence (which just drew umpire eyes to the fact we were contacting) instead of focusing on winning ball. Also Jono has umpired the exact same for years – he is tough on defence but you should know what you are going to get.

NB12
    Participant

Jono wasn’t umpiring though :unsure:

gwalk11
    Participant

I liked the final seven for Australia but think we are missing some spark in defence and I think Austin played well but was costly. I was never a Charles fan but she was great. Would love for Dwan, Proud and Jenner to get a go.

gwalk11
    Participant

Oops I stand corrected (apologies to Jono and new male umpire that looked like him to me). Either way – Australian team could not have gone into this game expecting physicality to be rewarded. Standard NZ umpiring.

Netballcrazy25
    Participant

I didn’t love Austin at GA today. Lots of turnovers, often casual on the take and her drives weren’t strong enough to break through the NZ zone defence and open up Bassett.
    I would love to see Tippah given a run out as the only other true GA option.
    The Aussie midcourt felt chaotic – Watson was stifled and not able to do what she does best.
    For game 2, I hope they pair her with Hadley at C who is more unassuming, but experienced and level-headed in attack.
    I hope the circle partnership between Bruce and Weston is given the time to grow over the series, because that is where they are at their best (although Weston did get job at WD today)

The ferns seem generally united and slick – I think they will grow over the series which is scary for the Diamonds.
    Wilson stood up and delivered against her biggest international challenge to-date in Bruce.
    The midcourt fired and I’m looking forward to seeing how Noeline rotates the squad throughout the series.

TB
    Participant

The umpiring did work in the favour of our Ferns, which was always going to be a given. Had it been all Aus umpires, it would have worked in the Diamonds favour. It was really no different to the good old ANZC days.
    A player like Jo Weston, her style doesn’t really play well to a kiwi whistle.

I did find Noelines changes at WA, very random. Didn’t really see the point with only 3 mins left. Or was Crampton injured, and I missed it?
    I love Burger at GD, and wish she got more court time there. In saying that Watson played great in that position too.
    Sam Winders has really grown on me. I thought she had a standout performance today. Was everywhere on defence, and always available on attack.

Looking forward to game 2!

NB12
    Participant

Austin doesn’t seem to be very drilled but every now and then she shows some real flare. She seemed to open up a bit more with Charles and Koenan. In the future, Austin at GS and Bueta at GA could work. I’m interested to see how Garbin would go at GS as well. She is very strong and commands the ball…

thunder123
    Participant

Agree, Austin seems to float around the court and doesn’t have fast definite movements and the Kiwis pick it up most times. Another thing is she stands in the circle and the double team doesn’t come off Bassett.
    Liked what Koenan had to offer, not sure id want to see her or Garbin at GA though.

Interesting that Charles has played C for the last 3~ Years but played WA for diamonds.

thunder123
    Participant

Also not sure how Gordon, Souness, Kersten will all fit into this Pulse midcourt. I know Kersten can go back to WD, but is almost first choice C for Ferns

TB
    Participant

Is Gordon a C/WA or WA/C?

Zara
    Participant

I think Gordon was originally a WD but has had her breakout season playing WA/C for Pulse! I think as Pulse also had Kersten for C Burger for WD she was pushed out to WA!

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 732 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)