2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 732 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Such a strange match….. Koen was quite a star on the rise and I’m looking forward to seeing her continuing to develop.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I would like to see a Bassett/Koenan Circle at some point. I think it would be something different yet still strong. Personally not sold on Garbin at GA at this level, maybe a half at GS but for now not GA. Austin is doing okay but she has been very costly so far in terms of turnovers and doesn’t seem to have that speed that we need at the moment.

Only change I would make is bringing Proud in for one of the middies (probably Charles or Moloney). I wouldn’t mind seeing JLP given some solid court time too.

Ian Harkin

No, Garbin isn’t a GA at this level.

TB
    Participant

I didn’t think Garbin did too badly. Obviously a lot to work on. But let’s remember, she’s a bench player for Swift’s. And now she’s a Diamond, playing out of position.
    There is massive potential there. I agree, her and Koenan should have swapped.

Koenans height (190cm), 20 years ago, would have made her a giant. She stands at the same height as IVD. Now it’s almost average height.

Falkner does need to work on her movement more, and use her speed. She drives into the circle, and just stands there or floats. She is a player with massive potential, hopefully she gets another chance to prove herself.

Is this Souness first time playing the Diamonds? I’m surprised Poi was not added to the team, she has experience playing against those girls.

TheBroadbean
    Participant

I think if I remember this was the starting shooting circle for Lightning when Steph Wood had her thigh (I think) injury.

I think it seemed to work okay – Koenan has obviously improved a lot since then!

al_ex
    Participant

Yeah I remember everyone was a bit surprised at the time just how good Koenen went those first few weeks. Her movement and court play has obviously improved a lot since then so I think she’d do well at GA.

I’ve always thought Koenen kind of plays GS like a GA. She moves a lot and normally gets the ball because of baseline dodges or pops. She uses the backspace but doesn’t really use her hold to compete in the air, it’s more to place her defender and then she peels off. She reminds me of a tall Pettitt without the double plays. It’s kind of the opposite of how Garbin plays GA (which is why they should have been the other way around).

Baller
    Participant

I’ll take the 9 goal lose. Yes, very flattering to the SF.

Marinkovich is starting to peel away the layers to find her own starting 7.

Given that Ekenasio was out, Taurua played a great coaching game. The whole bench was used, two debuts and game time management.

With a short turn around time, fitness is going to be crucial.

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    Tully
    Participant

I agree with the comments that Garbin is an SSN bench player and that this was therefore a massive step up for her. But she became a Diamond so she will be judged as one. Obviously it’s circumstances that has lead to her getting a debut so soon (injury / mat leave / youngsters such as Horjus and Dwan not being quite ready). It will be interesting to see where she is at in 12 months. Unless there is a major injury to Housby or Wallace them Garbin will spend majority of and certainly the big moments on the bench again. IMO Garbin really should have changed clubs. It’s great for Swifts but Garbin needs to start and play full games to take the next step. She could have had a lot of court time and been a swing GS / GA at either TBirds or Magpies who have GS who haven’t commanded their bibs and GAs who are either inconsistent or young (or in Horjus’ case can swing to WA). I can see why Vixens probably wasn’t that attractive as getting the GS bib off MJ would be rather difficult but still starting GA at a club known for player development is better than the pine.

If Garbin spends another year as a bench player it will be interesting to see where she rates amongst the other young shooters who will probably have more opportunity to play. In 12 months Horjus will have another SSN season and WYC under her belt (so long as it is not cancelled); Dwan will have another season and IMO will get court time as the FBs strategically manage Bueta’s return; Glasgow will be back from her ACL and players like Dwyer and Barkmeyer may also have played a WYC and in Barkmeyer’s case may have a lot of SSN court time (will be harder for Dwyer behind Austin and Harten but I expect she will get on as Austin can drift out of games).

Tully
    Participant

I hope Australia keeps the same 12. I’d like to see Price get a go at C. Moloney was tiring and Price is a little less hesitant on the circle feed. I’m saying g that it was Moloney’s best game for Australia so they may have wanted her to consolidate that.

If Australia wants to give Hadley or Proud a chance I’d actually consider going with 3 shooters for game 4. I’d leave Garbin in for game 3 as taking her out now might unnecessarily impact her confidence which I wouldn’t want to do.

Ian Harkin

With regards to Garbin, I don’t necessarily think it’s because she’s a bench player that she was found out. I just don’t think she’s a GA at this level. I think Koenen is more of a GA. But you wouldn’t shift her from GS now. It goes back to the selection of the team. We said at the time that it wasn’t balanced in the shooting positions. Would rather see Tippah Dwan there.

al_ex
    Participant

Yeah I agree with Ian. Garbin was never going to excel in her debut when she was put on in a position that she’s only played for about a year with someone she’s never played with before. She may be a bench player at the Swifts but with the way they rotated their 12 last season she got way more court time than Bassett did. Her GS level is good enough to compete for a spot at this level, but with Koenen’s form you wouldn’t move her out of that position lightly. I still think there’s room to build combinations with Garbin/Austin and Garbin/Koenen, but realistically there’s no reason to move Koenen out of GS at this point unless Austin goes missing or gets fatigued again.

I really like Dwan but I’m not sure if she’s developed enough yet to stand up as a GA in a moving circle, both in terms of shooting volume and rolling a circle. Playing with Aiken is not the same as playing with Garbin or Koenen. I think it’s good she’s been exposed as a TP for this series and if she keeps her form in SSN next year (and gets some minutes playing with Tippett) she can be in the 12 next series.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 732 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)