2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 732 total)
  • Author

Let’s face it, they’re all holding the fort until Bueta is back.

Ian Harkin

Tully
    Participant

I haven’t checked the stats but I would think Garbin has had more SSN court time at GA than Weston had at WD. Until this year Weston had barley played it (yes she played a full game at the WC and was match MVP but I can’t even recall who they played). Yes, GA is most definitely not Garbin’s position right now but she has played it. Personally I think Garbin has been put in a position she isn’t ready for. At Fast 5 (the most comparable to experience of playing under this level of pressure for her) she was outperformed by Stanton – has she really developed that much since then?

For her development Garbin needs consistent and strong SSN court time. I’m not sure getting more than Bassett last year was that difficult with what played out at Giants. At Swifts the big moments will be played by Housby and Wallace (injuries aside). Garbin needs to be on court for those moments regardless of what position she is playing.

There are positions up for grabs long term. Wood, Bueta and ? And ?.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Tully.
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I expect Garbin to be dropped as Bueta and Wood make comebacks. I would be tempted to test Dwan to see if she offers something different to Austin… would help make the decision for the 4 shooters. At this point I would still have Bassett there and I would like to see her combination with Koenan tested.

I’d also be interested to see how Glasgow’s return affects squad selection. She had her injury at a really unfortunate time as this CC is really testing the youth and setting up for the future, fingers crossed she makes a strong come back this season and is in the mix as a TP.

aqua301
    Participant

I think with Bueta and Wood back there’s not much space in the Diamonds shooting end. I would seal Wood, Bueta, Bassett, Koenan. Austin is likely to be selected for the squad, leaving Dwan, Garbin, Glasgow. I’d more than likely choose Dwan who’s most likely to have consistent court time.

TB
    Participant

Garbin must be training well in the GA position, for her to be put on there.
    I always wonder what they are like at training, especially players playing out of position. Cause surely a coach wouldn’t have played them there, if they didn’t perform at training?

TB
    Participant

Interesting with the shooting stats, for both games. The winning team has had a much lower shooting %
    Ferns attempt was 45 – which was the Diamonds final score.

montyb
    Participant

Wow – Koenan was outstanding, and Liz Watson showed she has the class and composure to be the captain AND the Diamonds playmaker in attack.

I love to analyse coaching decisions, and one thing i think Stacey got very right was to have the 3 vixens players on court as much as possible. While many fans thought Kate Moloney should be dropped from the 12 after game 1 (based on forum comments), I think Stacey recognised that winning the SSN gives players confidence. when the game tightened up in the second half, Moloney showed how settled and composed she was. Weston at WD is impressive too – can’t help but wonder the impact if she’d been put there in the NWC2019 final instead price. Her arms are sooo long – reminds me of the impact Harrison had in 2010-2012 when she popped up at WD.

As for our ferns, i knew it wasn’t their night when Jane Watson made two fumbles in the first 5 mins. Jane Watson and Ekenasio are the new ‘spine’ of our team, so when they are injured or off their game we are lost! Not sure Kersten is the answer in C, as I would have loved to have seen Gordon in an attacking role last night. Crampton came back on after being benched with better clarity and intention which was good to see.

ahdz
    Participant

I think Kersten wasn’t the answer last night at centre, the whole team looked stunned in that first half. When they started that 3rd quarter fight back I really thought they let it go that far on purpose to see what the team was made of lol

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Jinxibo
    Participant

Well, well, well what a turnaround but let’s be honest we all knew the Diamonds would step up this game.

@montyb, you are spot on when Watson fumbled that ball, :scratch: it was clear it wasn’t the Ferns night.

The Diamonds played well especially CK and the defence.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that Faulkner is returning from injury, ACL. She didn’t play ANZP, she played some of the Cadbury series and had even less time against England. I hope NT doesn’t write her off.

Jinxibo
    Participant

Game 3, should be interesting. Half of me thinks NT will start with the same 7 again, having laid down the law, she will expect an improved performance.

The other half of me knows NT will have a game plan, will it be speed, Mes at GS, Wilson, Souness and Poi.

Bring it on, game 3 :yahoo:

JR
    Participant

Isn’t Ekanasio going to be back for Game 3. Would put her at GA with Mes at GS.

minkie
    Participant

Don’t know who will be playing
    Thought I’d been wrong re Maia from a few yrs back, proven wrong but now I’m not sure. Is Maia only fantastic when Meels is playing? Can’t have that. Do know that I definitely don’t want a repeat of Game 2. Close game, yes, if we win, bonus. Too much of a lead was given to the Diamonds in the first/quarter/half. Seeing as we lost by 8, if we’d played alot better, the score wouldve been much closer. If if if.
    Thankfully I’m work Sat/Sun, Murphy’s Law every time I watch a live game, we loose :scratch:

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 732 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)