2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 732 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m not happy with the diamonds. They said put the captaincy on a rotational basis so they can select a captain yet Watson is doing it in back to back games – I like Watson so happy about it, but don’t say you are going to rotate captains.

Also not happy with the unchanged lineup today. New coach, with limited camps etc, surely now is a time to play players in the system and see how they go? Yes it would be nice to win the CC but I would’ve thought it would be nice to try more combinations.

NB12
    Participant

I think she is cementing and rewarding. Rotating doesn’t mean picking someone new each game, it just means they can elect to do that.

I think it’s really important for this team to tested against a full strength Ferns, and with Eke back (I think), this is the best opportunity to do that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by NB12.
    Tully
    Participant

Great decisions. Reward performance. Don’t just hand out caps and the captaincy.

Given they have had limited time it makes sense to rely on club combos (Vixens midcourt) and previous Australian combos (Bruce, Klau and Weston). In the training g they have had, in NZ and Australia everyone has had a chance to press their claims.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the captaincy if Diamonds lose today. I’d leave it with Watson otherwise it could send a message of if you win you keep captaincy of you lose I’ll take it off you. Whereas Diamonds need someone whoever it is to grow into the role. Are they naming a VC for these games?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Tully.
    Jinxibo
    Participant

Wilson at GA gives NT more flexibility. It opens the way to bring both Dunn and Grace in later years.

Personally I’d like to see Wilson at GA cause it will give her something else to think about. She won’t be able to post up against the GK so away from all the shoving.

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

I could be wrong, but I actually don’t think the coach ever said there were going to four different captains. That was just the take that most people had on it.

Tully
    Participant

I agree Ian.

Marinkovich has pleasantly surprised me with some of her decisions so far.

Ian Harkin
    Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Is it so bad that I just want her to sub Proud in for JLP or Charles…

TB
    Participant

Proud or Hadley not included for this game. Find that very interesting.

WeWood
    Participant

I want to see Francois start at centre for the Ferns. Kersten looked a little overwhelmed in Test 2. If she doesn’t cut it then give Poi a chance.

And, quite keen to see if Burger at WD curbs some of Watson’s influence. If we need to mix it up back in the circle, Burger can go to GD and we can have either Winders or Kersten on at WD.

I think Kersten will struggle to retain her spot in the Ferns post this series. She’s going back to the Pulse where she’ll be playing WD (with Gordon and Souness in front of her), and I think Claire really needs that game time at C to hone her feeding and movement in the attacking third. It’s easier to slide back to WD as a second position, as opposed to move forward to C if that makes sense. Also concur that Gordon at WD was random. We could have used her in the middle in Game 2.

gwalk11
    Participant

I would have picked Dwan but maybe that is just my Firebird supporter bias. I would also like for Jenner to get a go today and a different shooting circle combo to be tried but ultimately I have been impressed with Marinkovich so far and am willing to trust her judgement and see what happens. I feel like her decisions have been very measured and strategic. It is a nice shake up from LA, who while undoubtedly very good, seemed to get consistently outcoached in critical moments the last few years.

TB
    Participant

Re Kersten playing WD for Pulse – Let’s remember Langman played WD too, but mostly used at C for Ferns. I know you can’t compare the two, cause Langman spent majority of her time at C for most of her teams.
    Playing WD may work in Kerstens favour, as she may push Winders out of that position for Ferns.
    I’ve never been a fan of her or Winders at C. Great as a backup option, but feel they are stronger at WD.
    I rather see the more natural C to be used and developed eg Poi, Saunders and Gordon.

Ian Harkin

Test 3

AUSTRALIA:
    GS Koenen
    GA Austin
    WA Watson
    C Moloney
    WD Weston
    GD Bruce
    GK Klau

NEW ZEALAND:
    GS Wilson
    GA Ekenasio
    WA Crampton
    C Kersten
    WD Winders
    GD Watson
    GK Fitzpatrick

Okay, who’s going to win and take the lead in the series?

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 732 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)