2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 732 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Maia Wilson will likely have to play, every minute of every game.
    She was outstanding today. 2 years ago she was way down the pecking order.
    But her fitness has improved massively, she seems to have also calmed down a lot, but do feel the lid could flip though.

Ian Harkin

Austin starts out well in games, but tires, and that’s when she falls into the trap of being too willing to shoot from distance instead of trying to find her GS close to the post. If there were two viable GA options, she could play the first half and then be replaced by someone with fresh legs.

nanator
    Participant

Omg, just watched the game. That Maia-Poi combo!!’ So excited for how that’s going to develop over the years.

Probably the best games those two have ever had for the Ferns. I’ve always been excited by Poi but didn’t think she was ready. She is ready.

Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    Flb
    Participant

My feeling regarding the Australian midcourt is that Moloney is not the long-term answer in C. In a very new Diamonds attack lineup Watson-Moloney bring a settled combination. Moloney has a great defensive game, but for me has never really done enough in the attack end of the court. All these years at Vixens she has been playing with phenomenal and experienced shooters like Kumwenda, Thwaites and Phillip as well as with Watson and has still struggled at times in this respect. I guess what I am trying to say is I don’t see that there is a huge amount of growth left in Watson/Moloney as your midcourt for the Diamonds, but I think that there is a lot more potential to see Watson playing with another C, whether that be JLP, Hadley, or Proud (possibly Charles, although I am not sold). And there may be times where Watson plays C with another WA (I know most on here hate seeing her out of WA, but it is an option). When you look at the Diamonds today, perhaps Watson-Moloney is the best option (not sure as haven’t seen Proud/Hadley/JLP), but for the Diamonds to win CWG or NWC I think they will need something else in the midcourt. Having said that I quite like Moloney and hope she proves me wrong.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Flb.
    Ian Harkin

Aus led 35-31, 8 minutes into the 3rd Q when Taurua brought Watson & Poi on. From that moment on, NZ outscored Australia 24-14.

Ian Harkin
    Waylay
    Participant

I think the Silver Ferns mid court is sorted.

Crampton, Saunders, Poi, Kersten and Winders.

Taking 5 middies and then 3 in either attack or defence seems to work for them. That mid court of 5 gives them plenty of cover at WA, C and WD. Especially given that Mes can play WA and Burger is a GD/WD.

Jinxibo
    Participant

:cry: :cry:
    I missed the whole game. I got up too late to watch it live.

Stand down with coffee and biscuits to watch in the afternoon and reply test 2.

I’d avoided Twitter because I didn’t want to know who won.

Never mind but thanks Jordan Grant for posting it on youtube :yes: :yes:

Jinxibo
    Participant

I agree with the comments about Austin you could really see her sucking in the air in Q2.

You can see why the shooters were singled out for criticism 63 attempts to 60 (on the Sky NZ round up it shows 62).

JR
    Participant

Interesting bit in that Herald Sun article about Austin’s goal % in the Saturday game. 67% is better than Wednesday’s 54%, but still not great. I agree with Ian about her not looking for her GS enough when she tires. Maybe Bassett – Koenen in the second half if Austin tires again.

But the front end wasn’t the only problem for the Diamonds. I think I would have put Weston on at WD and Price into the Centre. Or put Weston back on at GD, Bruce at GK, Price at WD and Charles at C. I’d love to see Hadley or Proud in the game day team and into C.

Peter C
    Participant

After the Irene Van Dyke years of NZ dominating Australia the tables were turned as Caitlin Bassett fulfilled that same role for the Diamonds. It took years to do so, but eventually NZ found a counter with tall defenders who were mobile enough to nullify Basset’s height advantage. So if she is to be played the Ferns have a ready-made counter and when she was bought on with the aim of rapid scoring it worked until the Ferns switched to their Basset negating defence line.

The game for the Diamonds will have to be won in the mid-court as once in the circle the Fern shooters virtually never miss. They pass the ball around until a shot is a certain goal. At the other end any miss by the Diamonds means invariably the Ferns will make two as they also score on their next centre pass.

An eleven goal turn around saw them win match 3 very convincingly in the end. Diamonds tend to be fading late in the third quarter, so fresh legs need to be injected earlier to allow rested up players to return later, which is exactly what the Ferns did with Jane Watson.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 732 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)