2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 732 total)
  • Author

thunder123
      Participant

Happy about Liz Watson, almost looks like they didn’t want to completely get rid of Bassett by naming an outright captain at the beginning of the series.

Not happy jan – about the same selection of 12 players.

Waylay
        Participant

Diamonds team unchanged. Disappointing.

Peter C
          Participant

Bassett is still a good player, it is just that the Ferns have her totally worked out. Only when the shooters offer something different and play is fast paced does the Ferns defence crumble. Any hesitation and a windmill of flailing arms soon disrupts the flow of the Diamond’s game. Use of the bench will decide the next game, but who has the depth on the bench to pull it off?

Tully
            Participant

Disappointing to not see Hadley. I haven’t had an issue with her not being in the 12 for the other games. But Watson needs a feeding C to help her out. Moloney had 1 goal assist in the 3rd quarter and Austin was tanked by then so that left Watson doing all the feeding (no wonder she ended on 20 more circle feeds than any other player on the court). There was a play where Moloney was completely unmarked (of course Australia threw her the ball). In commentary Cox made the comment not sure what NZ are doing but someone needs to get on Moloney. No, that is exactly what NZ want. They want 2 sometimes even 3 players on Watson. They want the ball in Moloney’s hands. They know who will hurt them. Hadley has the ability to feed the circle from long and short. It would make NZ think about what they are doing. In saying this so does Price so hopefully we see her in C.

Would also like to see Weston or Jenner in GD. Bruce attacks the ball but doesn’t do the hard graft of tagging through court to set her teammates up. Klau wasn’t great yesterday but it was coming down fast and Eke was largely left to do as she wanted on the play making front to set Wilson up.

we will probably see the same starting 7. But will changes be made when needed today or far too late like yesterday?

WeWood
              Participant

Jane Watson’s birthday today. Here’s hoping a better outcome than her 50th test in Game 2!

Hearing Noeline’s comments on the Ferns’s Instagram, I think she’ll start with the same 7. She knows she’s got Burger, Poi and Saunders to come on the court when needed to provide a lift.
                A good start would be fantastic!

K2
                  Participant

My biggest concern is fatigue. Klau, Bruce, Austin and Moloney all looked tired yesterday in the second half and fell away. I hope the bench is used and we trial a different shooting combination in the second half before Austin’s percentage starts to drop. I feel like Aus learnt from the first game to win the second, and NZ learnt from the second game to win the third. Ball is in Aus/Stacey’s court.

Test 4

NZ
                      GS Wilson
                      GA Ekenasio
                      WA Crampton
                      C Poi
                      WD Winders
                      GD Watson
                      GK Fitzpatrick

Bench: Burger, Falkner, Kersten, Mes, Saunders

Aus
                      GS Koenen
                      GA Austin
                      WA Watson
                      C Moloney
                      WD Weston
                      GD Bruce
                      GK Klau

Bench: Bassett, Charles, Garbin, Jenner, Price

Peter C
                      Participant

In the post-match interview yesterday Stacey Marinkovich continually spoke about consistency being required throughout the match, but that is hard to maintain when some of your players are running out of gas. She needs to use her bench and keep her best players fresh enough for the last part of the match after taking a short spell to look at the flow of the game. For sure if the Ferns have a lead in the final quarter then they will treasure possession and slow the game down making sure they score off every centre pass. Right now unless some inspired decisions are made during play I can see the Silver Ferns winning the Constellation Cup as they wear the Diamonds down with repeated substitutions that dose their effort.

Netballcrazy1
                        Participant

I’m so disappointed that neither Produ nor Hadley were brought in. I expect the Diamonds to lose. If I were Stacey, I would’ve tested combinations more in this series because the Diamonds don’t get many test oppurtunities.
                          I definitely think they used this captain rotation as a way to try and ease Bassett out.

Commentators seem to agree that SM hasn’t made enough changes and that they will lose today. When was the last Ferns CC victory?

TB
                          Participant

CBass would probably be more dangerous when she has either Steph Wood or Bueta ahead of her.
                            Cara Koenan I feel has consolidated her spot in the team. That’ll be a very strong shooting end, when those players come back in.

al_ex
                            Participant

I think they’re flogging a dead horse a bit by keeping Austin, Moloney and Bruce in their positions when they look exhausted and their impact has seriously waned. Obviously I’m disappointed that Hadley and/or Proud weren’t included, but there’s no reason not to utilise Price and let other players run in GA and GD. I don’t have high expectations, but hopefully the girls have recovered well.

WeWood
                              Participant

Stoked Poi is getting the start!

TB
                                Participant

Hopefully Poi can backup her last performance. Surprised Saunders didn’t get the starting WA position. Would have thought they would have carried on that 7 who dominated the last quarter, of the last game.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 732 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top