2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)

2021 CONSTELLATION CUP – NZ v AUST (March)2021-03-29T09:09:17+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 732 total)
  • Author

Full time: NZ 45-43

Wilson 36/40 (90%)
      Ekenasio 9/12 (75%)

Austin 28/35 (80%)
      Koenen 15/19 (79%)

Gains: Aus 8-4
      Penalties: Aus 60-59
      Turnovers: Aus 20-19

Just to update that stat. Over the course of the series…

1st half: Aus by 17
      2nd half: NZ by 21

Jbss
      Participant

As a diamonds fan,
        Positives are:
        Austin and Koenan are new to this level, relatively new to the zone and new as a combination this will be a good learning experience. Austin will work on accuracy and TOs and fitness. Koenan will look at staying in games for the full 60 and adding more tricks to her game.

We got to see Bruce and Klau establishing a combination

Watson is a terrific captain and she mainly got played at WA where we could see her step up and dominate

WD isn’t our problem position for a change :unsure:

The Ferns have broke the winning streak however a strong Ferns side is good for Australia and makes the series interesting. The Ferns had to lose at the beginning of their new era in order to build.

Negatives are:
        I’m not sold on Stacey as a coach, her changes often didn’t make sense to me. Im not sure what we’re building towards given we’re not trialling things as much as most people wouldve liked. The thing I like about coaches like Noeline and Briony is they sense moments in a game that are going to matter and they add their voice rather than sitting expressionless on the sideline. They let their teams have leaders and then they step up and coach through those key moments to pump their side with confidence and then allow them to identify those moments themselves.

We didn’t get to see Jenner, Proud or Hadley who after the first two games were the players I wouldve liked to see. I also thought Bruce back to GK and Weston to GD couldve worked given they know each other a bit better. Just to see what impact it had and free up WD for Moloney. A pre-emptive change at half time with Basset to GS and JLP to C might’ve helped Austin stay in the game and if not then bring Koenan on in GA where she did quite well.

JoDe
        Participant

Fever supporters and players have had to cope with Stacey’s bizarre changes for several seasons. Apparently no rhyme or reason. She seems to read a change is needed but opts for putting in a favourite player. Bassett is obviously on the outer. Wasn’t she the obvious change to make? She’s unlikely to change now..

Enjoyable but frustrating Game though.

JoDe
          Participant

Really insightful commentary on the game – or is it that I happen to totally agree?

Swifts1
            Participant

I don’t mind losing this series if we got to explore the squad and see some new combinations. It feels like a missed opportunity to me.
              I would have loved to see Jenner get a chance who could have been surrounded with the experience of Bruce and Weston.
              I would have liked to see some other options tried at C other than Moloney. NZ are already half way to winning the game when they force the Diamonds to move Watson to C.
              It was a good win by NZ and once again NT proves to be the game day master with all her moves paying off.

JR
                Participant

Interesting observation about Stacey being keen on stats; so she looks at the computer screen rather than the game. And two attacking players, Watson and Austin had high penalties. Watson is amazing and needs to clean up; she had the same amount of penalties as Klau and one more than Bruce. I don’t think Watson should be taken off; nor do I think she should be moved from WA; there are two other very good C players in the team, and Moloney. Austin was clumsy a few times, but good to see her % much better this game.

Not sure about Stacey; why not put Bruce back to GK and Weston to GD. Klau tried hard but was beaten by Wilson in the second halves of the last two games.

I loved what the commentators said about the Ferns having confidence in themselves. Best laugh of the game – Noeline yelling out ‘let her shoot’ about Austin in the first half.

WeWood
                  Participant

For the Ferns we started the (NZ) Cadbury Series last year with Saunders as No 1 C. By end of the TJ Series against England that was Kersten. Now I think the mantle has shifted to Poi.

Poi, Crampton, Saunders and Winders would be my midcourt if we had a pinnacle event tomorrow. It will be very interesting if poor fitness persists in the wider squad and Noeline’s hand is forced by having an unbalanced team.

Players who, in my opinion need to have a big ANZP:
                    – Falkner is pure athleticism. She will have a season honing her craft (and her shot) being fed by Crampton and partnered with Wilson.
                    – The other shooters on the periphery (TPSR, Nweke, Dunn and I put Metuarau in there too), ought to take a leaf out Wilson’s book. Her personal and game transformation have been huge in the last 12-18 months and that foursome have the potential to force their way back into the Ferns.
                    – Intrigued by the Pulse midcourt, if Parata keeps them in their tried and true positions or if she mixes it up for variety. I mentioned on here yesterday I think playing solely WD could hurt Kersten. Can’t remember who said, but that Langman made it from WD to be the Ferns centre. True, but from about 2009 to 2015, Langman was playing week-in, week-out C. In recent times she’s gone back and forth between C and WD, but she was by that time a lot more comfortable with that feeding role.
                    – Burger and Watson’s combination for the Tactix. I think they’ve got the potential to go up a few levels.

Peter C
                      Participant

Ferns tactic of continually obstructing players as the ball moved down court incurred penalties, but gave defenders time to set up so a lot of speed was taken out of the Diamonds game that resulted in the ball being thrown around outside the circle rather than going straight in which inevitably led to the tips and a held ball that swung the game, you could see it coming as the game was drawing to a close.

Ferns deserved the win as they stuck to their game plan which was the same for all the matches. Diamonds only won the second game by building a big lead early that was not able to be whittled down.

Both sides played well, so no need for recriminations as far as the players were concerned, but off-court?

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Peter C.

Maia Wilson, quarter by quarter in the series…

1st Q: 27/35
                          2nd Q: 35/39
                          3rd Q: 38/43
                          4th Q: 40/45

al_ex
                          Participant

I agree with @Jbss, I know it’s been said a lot but I really think not giving either Hadley or Proud a shot at the 12 really cost the Diamonds by the end. Too many tired bodies, not enough consistent attacking play by the Cs and too much time for Watson out of WA.

Overall I was most impressed with Koenen and Weston. I was really surprised how well Weston played in WD, she was so much better than Simpson and Price. I’d love to see her play more there at Vixens considering how good Eddy can be at GD. Koenen was so impressive considering it was her first series. Played a great quarter at GA to finish off as well. I look forward to seeing her playing more with Watson and Austin, and of course players like Bueta when she returns.

I wasn’t really bitterly disappointed with any player, but many were inconsistent and didn’t deliver when it mattered. Bruce and Klau both had their moments but just got their heads down when the pressure started amping up. Moloney started to go missing after the first quarter of every game and was very weak in attack. Price and her should have played the other way around. Austin had moments of brilliance but shoots too much when fatigued and under pressure. These last three games definitely had good moments but too many repeated errors meant that we lost the series, and the responsibility for that doesn’t only lie on Stacey making poor changes. Overall I think this is a great start and many of these players have learnt lessons about what they need to improve on, hopefully they can do that and stand up to the pressure if they get more opportunities to play for the Diamonds.

JR
                            Participant

Victoria is NOT taking international flights at the moment. Not sure about other States besides NSW that are taking in lots of returnees into quarantine hotels each week.

Will the flight from Christchurch go in to Sydney and will all the players, coaching, management and support staff go into quarantine there? I don’t think they can take a connecting domestic flight to their home states and quarantine there.

Gosh, what an enormous effort from the Diamonds. A five week gig – two lots of two weeks of quarantine and one week of play. Well done.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by JR.
                              al_ex
                              Participant

Wouldn’t they almost be tempted to just wait in NZL until the bubble returns? Last time Auckland had a mini lockdown flights were allowed again quite quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 732 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top