2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches

2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches2021-03-26T17:00:48+10:00

Forums Australia 2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Vixens – Swift’s are 35-35 at 3/4 time.

Mannix started at GK (against Wallace). Not sure how long she has played. The 7 Vixens easily strongest 7 they have tried so far (still no Weston or Watson). Honey got the nod at WA after last night.

Vixens won the first quarter and Swift’s the next two.

Tully
    Participant

I can’t see Letherbarrow going to Swifts unless Garbin leaves. Wallace and Housby are still relatively young and will be around awhile. Letherbarrow is like Garbin in that she is much stronger at GS.

I agree Dwyer is the obvious choice to replace Harten in time. Just depends on how soon that time comes or if she wants court time earlier.

Tully
    Participant

Re Mannix for those interested it looks like Mannix – Eddy played the first half and Dehaney – Coffey the second half. Also looks like Cransberg came on at WD at half time and she didn’t play against Giants.

Stanton – Barkmeyer for the second half but with Barkmeyer at GA (they played the other way round last night).

Swifts also trialling various combinations and TPs as well. O’Shaneasy, Singleton and Burgess with solid court time.

Both teams rotating the players and combinations.

Tully
    Participant

Vixens played a Honey – Mundy – Cransberg midcourt for the final quarter.

Vixens dresses look incomplete.

Tully
    Participant

And unsurprisingly with that midcourt the Vixens score just 7 goals in the final quarter. Swift’s with Wallace Housby and Hadley score 20 + and run away with it.

Jen
    Participant

Thanks for the updates Tully.

al_ex
    Participant

Garbin or Wallace will surely leave after this season or the next. No matter how much she loves Sydney, I don’t see Garbin staying for a 5th/6th season as an impact player. Letherbarrow is a better GS than Singleton and would be a more likely replacement for either of those players.

That 22-7 last quarter came a bit out of nowhere. Nice to see the Swifts girls perform better than in Tasmania, it obviously helps having those extra players back.

Tully
    Participant

Vixens had no Mannix, Weston, Watson, Moloney, Eddy, Smith or MJ in that last quarter. So for mine it was a bit predictable. Especially with Swifts having Housby, Wallace, Turner, Hadley and Fraser on.

Last year their depth was a huge part of their win. Their TPs aren’t as strong this season. Coffey is a standout and a perfect replacement for Newton, they haven’t really lost anything there. If you were adding two on game day you’d have to reward her performance except they don’t need another defender. Honey is worth continuing to develop though IMO. Such raw speed and athleticism. Just need to harness that and fill her with confidence. Playing Honey in C to Watson at WA may work but it’s never been given a go (or to a certain extent had an opportunity to be played). Other than Coffey and Honey they don’t have a lot else to play on an SSN court outside their core 10. Obviously Kumwenda and Watson are absolutely critical to their success.

Swifts in contrast have much stronger TPs this year. You’d struggle to guess which two they would add on game day (if they do allow teams of 12).

I was surprised to see Garbin stay this year. She needs court time and to be starting to take the next step. Obviously happy there though so I wouldn’t be surprised if she stays on till Wallace leaves.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Tully.
    mcleod
    Participant

Hope that wasn’t the 1st ACL of the season.

al_ex
    Participant

Poor Ash Unie, finally gets a contract and goes down with a knee injury two minutes into the first pre season match. It definitely looked like an ACL. Last year was a pretty “good” year for knee injuries in SSN, only Brazill and Colyer had full tears (although the Browne sisters were obviously affected) if I remember correctly. Hopefully this year we won’t see too many.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by al_ex.
    Ian Harkin
    al_ex
    Participant

Binnian Hunt reminds me of Asher Grapes. A decent feeder and playmaker but really poor shooting. None of her shots ever look like going in. I wonder if they’ll try and move her into the midcourt like has been done with Grapes. Koenen needs to improve her accuracy from mid-range, whenever McDonell and Brandley can make the Lightning girls shoot from more than a metre out they manage to turn over possession.

Ian Harkin

Yeah, one of Hunt’s shots i saw was a huge airball that went well over the ring and wasn’t even close.

Ian Harkin

al_ex
    Participant

I know Lightning gets underrated every season but this year feels a little different. They were pretty much outplayed in every position on court. They were in average form at the end of last year and only made it so far due to some lucky results falling their way and a good start to the season. Without Langman they feel very vulnerable. I don’t think we’ll see them in the Top 4. They have some great players but they’re just not playing at the same level in both attack and defence. Not much depth either.

Giants look a lot smoother in attack, fewer wild turnovers from Austin and Harten. Dwyer has been excellent. Brandley and McDonell are a great combo, I’d love to see them start when we get to the main season.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches