2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches

2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches2021-03-26T17:00:48+10:00

Forums Australia 2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Moloney did have to increase her work rate in the first half. But she needs to increase it even more now. Honey’s speed and footwork draws defenders. Stanton let the ball go to Honey unlike last year when the Vixens weren’t confident to give her the ball. Mundy is slow and not an option. Get running Kate :wacko: :whistle:

al_ex
    Participant

Eddy not making the Diamonds squad last year was such a shock for me, especially considering we’ve traditionally had so many issues with WD. I thought she’d be a direct replacement for Turner. Surely she will get there this year if she maintains her form. Seeing her and Garrett on court at the same time has been so striking. It’s quite crazy to think that it was only in 2018 that Garrett was more highly touted.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Just popped back in and it’s the third quarter. Looks like there’s been a lot of changes. Austin at GS, Gooden at GA, and Williams at WA, Petty at C, Wilson at GD, Sterling at GK. Thunderbirds only down by 3 with two minutes to go in the third.

Can anyone shine some light on how the Thunderbirds went with all those changes in the third? I’m interested to know who stood out.

JR
    Participant

Ok, it took them a whole quarter, but they finally there was no sound and put the plug back in or turned on the switch…..weird. If I put on my computer’s sound to 100% I could hear the commentators were talking, but too faint to be discernible. Glad it’s fixed.

AllieC
    Participant

Who is the GS for Tbirds? She’s been great and can shoot from range unlike many tall’s. I’m at the game so can’t hear any commentary.

Smith has been great too. Wonder if we could have Mannix, Eddy, Weston, Smith and Moloney? Would solve the inexperienced WA issue.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

The shooter is Lucy Austin (193cm). Saw she sunk a super shot just at the end of that quarter, her long range shot accuracy must’ve improved.

Tully
    Participant

@ Netballcrazy1 Lucy Austin was the standout for me. Williams at WA was also strong.

@ AllieC it is an option and if Watson was there I’d no doubt we would see that except Watson at WA to hold Smith’s hand. Smith is a project at C. Progressing well but needs an experienced WA alongside her at SSN. Smith is having a great game today.

@ al_ex I was surprised too. For mind she is the best GD in Australia.

TBirds should win from here.they will drain a couple of super shots. Vixens won’t. Stanton’s super shot stats were actually okay last year so hopefully once she settles she gets confidence to go for it.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Interesting… good to see Austin and Williams progress through the pathway. Could be solid SSN contract options in a year or so.

Dow did Wilson/Sterling circle go? I’m hoping she was a stronger GD option than Garrett.

Full Time: Vixens 51-50

AllieC
    Participant

Wilson still finding her feet. She was ok but I think may get penalised a lot of she holds as much as she did at times today. Kept both Vixens quiet at times so promising.

al_ex
    Participant

Great defensive effort there by the Vixens girls to stop Adelaide from getting into a scoring position. Absolutely no disrespect to Weston, but I don’t think they lose much without her. The match shouldn’t have gotten this close but a good mental effort to close it out.

Barkmeyer and Stanton need to hit the post. Both look so shaky on the shot. I don’t know what their final statistics were but it felt like they were both in the 60s, especially Barkmeyer. I expect they’ll both grow as they get comfortable at this level, they were good in patches.

Tully
    Participant

Vixens sneak home thanks to their defence. TBirds had the last CP. Smith intercept in the goal third, going out she loops it back in and unfortunately her only teammate chasing is Kumwenda. Over a third. Then a beautiful tip around the circle from Smith hitting the ball out followed by another Eddy tip out. TBirds ran out of time. Vixens defence is sublime.

Australia would have had such a strong shooting circle at WYC with Austin and Dwyer.

Surely that game shows Vixens they need to recruit an experienced WA. Honey will get there in time.

Stanton much stronger than Barkmeyer.

amyrmy
    Participant

Think I am on my own with this one but I think I would prefer to see them focus on developing Mundy over Honey. Something about the way Honey runs or moves just always seems messy to me, always looks like very small steps? I think Mundy has more confidence too, whereas Honey perhaps doubts herself more.

Tully
    Participant

@ al_ex I agree Vixens didn’t miss Weston. When she is back I’d stick with Eddy and Mannix in the circle. Probably start Weston at WD using her hands over to disrupt the feed and set Eddy and Mannix up to attack the ball. I’d look to bring Smith in at WD with the directive of attacking the ball. Maybe use Weston in the circle against Fever and FBs for increased height. Each of Mannix, Eddy and Smith are ball hunters. Vixens defence is going to have to win lots of ball this year.

Tully
    Participant

@ amyrmy hopefully they start Mundy tomorrow. See how she goes starting. Might make the difference. Mundy had some lovely feeds when she got the ball at circle edge.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

I also preferred Mundy but I’m not sure I can put into words why. Honey should have been the better of the two having all the years of drills under her belt but I just couldn’t like her game just yet. Stanton showed promise. All I can say for now. We shall see if it comes together. I enjoyed seeing a fit, tall player coming through the ranks in Austin. Always love Horjus. Hope she gets to push her GA game and isn’t going to be pushed out to WA permanently…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches