2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches

2021 SSN Pre-Season Matches2021-03-26T17:00:48+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hmmm, interesting result. But I agree, I see the Thunderbirds in the bottom 2 this year unless there’s some sort of magic defensive combination that develops over the next few weeks and a lot less turnovers in attack.

Tully
      Participant

Stanton isn’t a long term option but she is the best GA option they have now. Quite clearly. I would have liked to have seen Barkmeyer stay on. She looked stronger today in that first quarter than yesterday. Shot 2/2 including a super shot but needs to back herself to the post more often. After her super shot in the next play or so she had a penalty in the super shot zone, one defender out of play but rather than go for it passes off to MJ. McDonald started well. Nice movement. A couple of crafty bounce passes. But went off quite fast with poor pass selection and ended on 1/3 I think.

Smith is developing well in C. I think we might see her a bit there during the season with Moloney in WA as a change up. Brought nice drive and had better touch on the feed than in Sydney. I agree with LA that it isn’t a long term solution having Moloney in WA but definitely worth exploring especially for Smith’s development. Smith will captain Vixens when Moloney retires. If you’re looking at quarter scores with Smith in C …. the only quarter they won against Giants was with Smith at C and today the only quarter they won was the 3rd again with Smith in C. So definitely worth using to change momentum. Hopefully nothing major for Moloney’s knee.

Surely after this and the Sydney games Vixens will see they should recruit an experienced WA? If not I’m going to completely disagree with what I said yesterday and say they should go with Mundy. They are going to hugely struggle this year and I’m starting to think Mundy is the better long term investment. Mundy has a much stronger pass and circle feed than Honey. Smith can be the backup C.

I didn’t think they missed Weston yesterday but they sure did today. Slows the ball up through court so much. Also missed a straight switch of Dehaney in at GK to mix it up on Potgeiter if to just make the feeders adjust and see something different.

Going to be a very long season for Vixens. They won’t make finals. They will be with Collingwood and TBirds between 6th and 8th. Not sure where Lightning will sit. Hopefully they have enough games like yesterday where their defence is on fire as is MJ getting them a few wins and maybe an upset or two.

For TBirds fans… how do you feel about Williams not having a contract? I think she is amazing. I was impressed with her last year and was surprised they didn’t sign her. I’m not sure what Elle McDonald is going to bring to this lineup especially considering what they lose in Williams dropping out. SA again has such great young talent but the TBirds have 7 players either as imports or from interstate. Hopefully TBirds don’t lose this generation to interstate like they did with Klau, Turner and Proud. Heck Vixens should recruit Williams and Austin in 2022!

I love Nankivell and in this team I think she should be the captain. Petty has longer tenure and leadership experience but not sure she is starting 7. Nankivell is going to the be the rock of this TBirds lineup for a long time. How old is Nankivell? She wouldn’t be that much younger than Proud or Moloney were when they became captains would she?

I didn’t really like Wilson. Seemed to be quite a bit of holding and late contact. Hopefully she cleans that up. I’d actually like to see them use Van De Merwe in GD. Nankivell plays well in WD (she’d be my C but nothing wrong with playing her at WD sometimes to allow Van De Merwe into the circle).

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Tully.
        • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Tully.
        al_ex
        Participant

Yeah for me Nankivell is the obvious captain for the T’Birds. I’d have Sterling as Vice, even if attitudinally she doesn’t always bring leadership qualities. She will grow into that role, she’s still young as well and she definitely is their game changer.

I don’t know what to think about the Vixens chances now. Their attack end is too inconsistent, their defence end as well to a lesser extent. At their best I still think they’re a Top 4 side even without Watson, but that attack end really does seem to collapse in on itself quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some wins over the best teams (Giants, Firebirds, Fever etc.) but also some messy losses to T’Birds and Collingwood. I think this season will be a lot less predictable in the 3-6 rankings, especially with the super shot and the presumed resumption of bonus points.

al_ex
          Participant

On a separate note, the Swifts are playing the Giants now without a stream. I wonder if the Swifts have requested to not have any of their matches recorded. Since the Tasmanian series they’ve played a few matches and the only recorded one was against the Men’s team. Giants have streamed all their matches except this one.

Tully
            Participant

I love the Vixens but they aren’t making the top 4 this year. Just can’t see it. I agree they will have a couple of brilliant games with good wins and then bad losses.

They really should promote Samason. She has been training with them but because of covid ruining VNL last year has t played since her ACL. I know she isn’t a GA but not sure either McDonald or Barkmeyer are the long term solutions there. Fully expect Samason to get a contract next year anyway unless someone like Dwyer or Dwan is significantly under played and moves interstate.

What was the commentary making it sound like Coffey went straight from the NT to Ballarat :wacko: Coffey moved to Melbourne in high school and has been playing underage for VIC since. Training with the vixens all year and went to Sydney. With both Weston and Dehaney out coffey was the obvious replacement and she would have expected that call up. Another good young defender hopefully Vixens can retain and bring Coffey through.

If TBirds look to an import for a leadership position I’d give VC to Van De Merwe. Always positive on court and encouraging her younger teammates.

amyrmy
              Participant

Love what Allie Smith brings to the game when she plays C, would love to see her have a run in WA – I know it’s not her position but I think it would be worth a try. Agree with what others have said, she is definitely the future captain.

thunder123
                  Participant

Really impressed with Williams for thunderbirds. She played most of last year as WD/C but this weekend played C/WA. Good option.
                    Really hope game day squads are 12 players this year!

Netballcrazy1
                    Participant

@Tully I think Williams is honestly such a great product of the SA pathway, I’m not entirely sure why they didn’t offer her a contract but I think they were a little hesitant to take that jump. After all, they were replacing Pitman and were hoping for proof that the player they brought in had some experience even if it’s just a little more than what Williams brought to the table.

@al_ex
                      Nankivell is only 21 and while I think she is captain material, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her in an alternative leadership position this year before eventually being promoted. But with Petty
                      Pretty much becoming a bench player, it wouldn’t be ludicrous to see a change in that captain position. Maybe they will
                      announce co-captains?

I’m a bit underwhelmed so far by what I’ve hear about Wilson’s play, hopefully singing her over Blackman wasn’t a mistake.

If game day squads aren’t 12, I’ll be sorely disappointed. I think it’s safer to have 12 in case of injuries and it simply makes the games more interesting to see coaches tinker with their lineups.

If bonus points return I think I’ll cry.

Netballcrazy1
                        Participant

Oddly, Chelsea Blackman has been training with the team every time they’re in Adelaide, it’s on their socials. But hasn’t been listed for any of their pre-season matches so far, including tomorrow’s against Fever. You’d think they’d be using the opportunity to give her court time, especially with the defensive end a bit up in the air.

Updated Thunderbirds Squad travelling to Berri

netballmum
                          Participant

Tbirds v Fever being live streamed on Berri Netball Social facebook page

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by netballmum.
                            Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

Fever won 57-48

I missed this match, did anyone happen to catch the livestream?

Participant

Livestream still available on replay.
                                Good game, Fever looked like they maybe had a bit more to give? Fowler looked to be holding back on a few takes but maybe that was playing against Sterling…
                                Few things I was thinking as it went along
                                -Gooden has improved so much on her movement this season. She will be used as a taller Ga with Horjus as a zippy GA. Less time on the bench I’d imagine.
                                -Williams should have a contract over Petty. In terms of positional value and also skill.
                                -Bruce was absolutely on fire. I wish wish wish I had stats for the game available. My guess would be 10/11 gains perhaps?
                                -Charles has taught her other midcourters a few of her moves! Very cool!
                                -Van de Merwe also much improved, particularly on her attacking game and in backing up others. Loving her work

NettySuperFan
                                Participant

Yeah, have to echo what @montyandpoppy said. Horjus didn’t play, and she is a big part of what connects the front end, so I’m actually impressed the Tbirds stayed as close as they did. Shadine in career best form and Bruce had a absolute blinder. First time I saw Glasgow play for Fever and she did well, offers something different to ATN, but I would have them fairly equal in their performance atm. Thunderbirds could be pushing for a top 4 spot, and I can only see Fever losing a few games this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top