2021 SSN ROUND 1

2021 SSN ROUND 12021-05-01T00:48:52+10:00

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 1

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I expected more from the Magpies given their previous season form. But expect they will build as Browne builds back to a 60 minute player. I too was very surprised to see McCollin barely play. I didn’t think that Sinclair was having her best game nor Nelson.

Lightning unsurprisingly look so much stronger with a fit Wood. Wood looks great. Scherian played better than last year as well IMO. Happy to see them try Shimmin at GD and Pretorious at WD. That flexibility could be key at the end of the season or in tight games.

Rapt to see Sligar in the 10 for Giants. Looked impressive in pre season. Have to hand it to Giants and Fitzgerald their investment in NSW talent has been impressive the last few years and continues to be. It’s paying off now.

Ian Harkin

Firebirds v Swifts

Firebirds
    GS Aiken
    GA Bueta
    WA Dunkley
    C Ravaillion
    WD Simpson
    GD Jenner
    GK Hinchliffe

Swifts
    GS Wallace
    GA Housby
    WA Haythornthwaite
    C Proud
    WD Hadley
    GD Turner
    GK Klau

Live scoring/stats: https://mc.championdata.com/super_netball/

Jaimie Keay
    Participant

Does anyone else think that McKinnis shouldn’t have taken Dehaney off after her amazing 3rd quarter…. seemed that when Mannix came on the circle opened a lot easier for Fever to find Fowler.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

For those asking, only one of the matches from yesterday has been uploaded onto 9Now. I’m assuming all matches from each round will be uploaded (as they were last year) but they may have changed it to only the matches that they broadcast live. Sometimes they run a day behind with the uploads so you may just need to wait. 😊

Tully
    Participant

Yes, Deahaney should have stayed on. Weston was okay but should have come off when she started to get frustrated. Whilst she was arguing with the umpire over a throw in Dehaney takes a clean cross court intercept. Just got on with the job. They could have put Mannix back on at GD. I would have switched Eddy to GD as she had been very quiet at WD after looking great at GD in pre season that would have allows Smith on at WD.

As for the Diamonds shooting circle. Wood, Tippett, Austin and Koenen for me. What might save Bassett is Watson missing. They could take 5 shooters knowing that Wood and Austin may be the WA without Watson there.

NZChampion
    Participant

I’m with Geitz and backing the birds today. Hoping for an exciting game. The 1st couple of games were a bit messy.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yes I agree, if SM is happy to use Austin and Wood at WA (properly) I could see the Shooting circle being Bassett, Bueta, Wood, Koenan, Austin. But then again, I’d love to see some changes in the mid court but I doubt that’ll happen if she picks too large of a shooting circle. I think it’ll be a case of watching Bassett and seeing how she fairs out over in NZ.

Ian Harkin

A couple of wild passes by the two returning mums for Firebirds and Swifts lead 12-9 as we go to a timeout.

Kerryn
    Participant

Seeing McKinnis quietly thinking “well I made Thwaites a GA, can I make Kumwenda a GA???”

back when both she and Mes played for the Tactix they used to switch between the two positions regularly

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Kerryn.
    al_ex
    Participant

Wood is one of the most underrated WAs in Australia, it’s where she had her breakthrough.

Swifts and Firebirds have both started very well, except for some erratic passes from the returning Tippett and Rav. Turner is so underrated.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Totally agree, Wood’s crafty approach to WA is so enjoyable to watch. I would love to see her there for the Diamonds.

First quarter a bit messy from a few players, Tippett and Rav will take a little while to settle into the game but overall, you can see they’re getting back into form, just a few miscommunications and over powered passes that cost them that quarter.

Ian Harkin

1/4 time: Swifts 18-13

Swifts definitely with the better of that opening quarter, looking the more composed and settled team. The Haythornthwaite/Housby/Wallace combo in particular working very well.

What do Firebirds have to do from here?

Tully
    Participant

Swifts look good. This is the midcourt I wanted to see from them last year. I know WD is Hadley’s 3rd position and it will probably hurt her Diamonds chances playing a season of WD but overall this is the best Swifts midcourt IMO. A fully fit Turner makes such a difference (as expected).

Good to see Dwan on so early. Interesting to see Mi Mi on for Dunkley. I thought Dunkley was okay but that she and Ravaillion were just getting a bit clogged. Only court time will fix that. But Mi Mi’s athleticism complements Rav’s more stable playing style so perhaps this is a better combination for what it brings to the court.

al_ex
    Participant

Firebirds defenders still get very undisciplined when they’re desperate. It’s difficult to win matches when you’re basically just giving away goals with penalties.

I wonder if the FBs have trained at all with Dwan at WA? Mi Mi hasn’t been that strong and Dunkley’s combination with Rav was lacking.

I’ve been one of Haythornthwaite’s biggest critics but she’s really gone up a few levels from previous seasons. She’s been great so far.

Ian Harkin

Good little spell there with three quick Firebirds goals and it’s back to 27-22 in Swifts’ favour.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 1