2021 SSN ROUND 5

2021 SSN ROUND 52021-05-28T11:49:01+10:00

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 5

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t think Ekenasio’s situation is comparable to Samason. Ekenasio sat on the bench for year after year so went to NZ for an opportunity. Samason is not going to have that problem now. If she was going to go I would have thought it would have been earlier this year but she stuck with NV and Vixens and has now been rewarded for that patience. The Clare O’Brien situation is similar to Ekenasio as she has had limited opportunities post her Achilles surgery.

mcleod
    Participant

So what happens when Mannix returns, does Samason drop out seeing that she is a training partner.
    Or does something else happen to a shooter.

Tully
    Participant

Why can’t they name Samason in the 10 in place of either Stanton or Barkmeyer?

Is there a specific rule disallowing that? What happened to Jane Cook in 2017 at TBirds? She was contracted then just stopped being selected and I don’t think she was injured. They selected Hodges who was a TP instead.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Tully.
    al_ex
    Participant

I thought Samason was Filipino, but I think she also has Cook Island heritage. NNZ will most likely come after her (I mean they even came after Woulff) but given she will be starting for the whole season and most likely get a contract next year there’s no real reason for her to leave. It’s not really the same situation as Ekenasio/O’Brien etc.

Players don’t need to be injured for training partners to be promoted. I don’t know who will be dropped, but one of Stanton and Barkmeyer will be out of the game day 10 when Mannix comes back.

Wallam will get offered SSN contracts next season, it just might not be at Fever. Even if SSN reduced imports to one player it still wouldn’t make a difference with Fowler there. It might be harder for Austin but I wouldn’t be surprised to see her picked up somewhere.

NB12
    Participant

Ian, your game stat graphics are taking me back to the ABC’s CBT coverage!! Thank you for the flash backs. :yahoo:

Tully
    Participant

Thanks al_ex I thought that was the rule. Certainly the way TBirds have selected their teams of 10 over the years. Talk on Twitter you can’t unless a player is injured but silly me for even considering what I read on Twitter :negative:

Ian Harkin

NB12, they do look a bit like that. But is that a nice way of saying I’m about 20 years behind the times?

TB
    Participant

The poaching players from Aus, was (mainly) during Wai Taumaunu’s time as coach.

I feel like DNT would be more focus on the players she has right now. Plus she is also more focused on building the depth in NZ. If you look at both our shooting and midcourt stocks, she has developed some good depth there. Our defence is slowly building that too.

NB12
    Participant

I would have said Nostalgic, and also a little bit clever.

Ian Harkin

From Dan Ryan…

“If the rules are still the same, a training partner can be added into the match day 10 at any time, for any reason. Obviously someone gets dropped. Highlights the need for 12 contracted players!”

sami j
    Participant

I really hope next year with the new broadcast deal that the squads are permanently expanded to 12, Australia clearly has the talent

PICASSO123
    Participant

So this is what i gathered from the articles on google regarding Rahni Samason and her ethnicity/nationality.

Rahni is actually half Caucasian Australian and Half Kuki (Cook Islands)

Most interesting was this sentence that caught my eye:

“Her father comes from the Cook Islands, and has a New Zealand passport, but considers himself an Australian (and never cheers for the All Blacks).”

There you have it, looks like she’ll be a future Aussie diamond. Honestly I’m so happy to see another Pacific Islander cone through the ranks and hopefully follows in the footsteps of Selina Gilsenan and Mo’onia Gerard.

NB12
    Participant

Samason’s Instagram profile has the Cook Islands, German and Australian flag as part of her bio. Hope that clears that up.

JR
    Participant

What a game. Well done Vixens, and especially Samason. Dehaney and Kumwenda were great too. Eddy is off the boil this year, maybe her foot is still affecting her. And too many turnovers from Weston and Moloney, Vixens need their experienced players to be more consistent.

mcleod
    Participant

So could play for 4 different countries. Netball might take of in Germany one day!!.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 297 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 5