2021 SSN ROUND 8

2021 SSN ROUND 82021-06-18T18:31:31+10:00

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 8

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think people are talking about Lucy Austin, young Adelaide Shooter, not Kiera.

Netballcrazy1
      Participant

Yes! I was referring to Lucy Austin

enozlas
        Participant

I think if the thunderbirds can find a dominant GS the team they have may be capable of greater things. The defence end is fantastic and gives the attack end plenty of supply. But they absolutely breakdown when it gets in to the goal third and the lack of connection Potgeiter has with literally everyone else on court is very apparent. As much as I see Lucy Austin as the future it really depends on whether netball SA want to look for a long term rebuild (Austin is at least 3-5 years from being dominant)… or do they look for a quick fix and try and sign a ready-made GS and think they can challenge for a premiership with the rest of the line up.

If they go the Austin route I really think it needs to be a complete overhaul and a solid investment in young local talent. Get rid of Potgeiter, McDonald, Wilson, Shadine, Petty (has had many years in the system for very little growth)… bring in Austin, Orr, Williams, Dent.. fight to try to get any/all of the Proud/Turner/Klau trio back to balance out the experience. Sterling is the only import whom consistently absolutely owns her spot and deserves it over any up and coming junior.

Imagine this in 2-3 years time:

GS Austin
          GA Horjus
          WA Nankivel
          C Proud
          WD Turner or Williams
          GD Klau or Garrett
          GK Sterling

…… if only dreams came true 😂

al_ex
          Participant

I’m not sure Austin is ready to be brought on in a starting capacity. I think of her more as a replacement for the third shooter role. Glasgow would be a perfect replacement for Potgieter but we’ve seen what happened there… Fisher is probably the best option out there if she’s not already re-signed with Steel. Garbin would be the best Australian GS/GA option they could realistically grab.

NB12
            Participant

Next year will be the year for big player movements with all players off contract. There was some big moves in 2008 and even bigger ones at the start of SSN. Exciting times.

mcleod
              Participant

Fisher got taken apart by the very close marking of Anna Harrison on Saturday. Missing very easy shots, and stepping into the already set long arms of Harrison, so she would struggle against the Aus defenders

al_ex
                Participant

Fisher is good from range, can play GA and is far stronger on the take than Potgieter. She’s hardly the first shooter to be taken apart by Anna Harrison. She’s young and she will only get better, by far the best import in ANZP right now.

PICASSO123
                  Participant

TBirds should target Wallam. She’s worthy of a SSN contract. Also, even Marshall that went to Magic is a good pickup (potential shooter that went to waste).

enozlas
                    Participant

Replace Austin with Garbin as starting GS and I’ll still fantasize about my dream team of the future…… 😂

Kwkiwi
                      Participant

Agree al_ex I see Fisher fitting in well somewhere like the tbirds. Even though she struggled against Harrison she would get used to that marking. Besides Harrison seems to be closer than three feet a lot of the time and it doesn’t get called. All the good import shooters seem to start in NZ and move over to ssn. I also agree with you that Fisher is most definitely the third ranked English shooter behind Harten and Housby.

schmeetle
                        Participant

Giants and Swift’s have this evening done a bolt to QLD… while they have a bye this weekend the Covid situation in Sydney isn’t great and most states are closing the borders to Sydneysiders.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by schmeetle.
                          Netballcrazy1
                          Participant

Must be difficult for teams who are constantly in limbo and travelling to avoid potential boarder closures or potential exemption denials.

montyb
                            Participant

At the start of the season, I was feeling like Petty was the weak link in the thunderbirds centre court, but this last round it was Nankivel who had an absolute shocker. It feels like the T’birds can only play well when they all click on the same day, which happens far too rarely.

al_ex
                              Participant

It just shows how hard it is to build a winning culture, especially when you have so many players who are not used to winning consistently. There are no players in the T’Birds team who have played for Australia. There are no players who have ever played a finals match. The imports are from RSA and Jamaica, who haven’t made any GFs at the biggest International events. Obst has never won any big competition as a coach.

This isn’t to say that the T’Birds don’t have talent, they have a lot of talent actually. But I think a lot of the players have grown up with the expectation of having good games and bad games, and don’t necessarily expect to win all the time. The winning (or at least grand final) experience of Housby, Hadley, Haythornthwaite, Rore and Turner was really important to the Swifts’ success in 2019, and it’s proving hard for the T’Birds to develop that innate confidence to win consistently.

Ian Harkin

Lightning v Magpies

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2021 SSN ROUND 8

Go to Top