2021 SSN GRAND FINAL – Swifts v Giants

2021 SSN GRAND FINAL – Swifts v Giants2021-09-15T20:32:18+10:00
Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Maddy Turner had 5 possession gains. She was valuable in pressuring young Sophie Dwyer who unfortunately came up with 6 turnovers.

Swifts used their bench well. Like Dwyer, Paige Hadley also had 6 turnovers today and Nat Haythornthwaite did a good job when she replaced her.

Giants hit the lead for the first time when Sophie Dwyer sank a super shot just into the power 5 period in the first Q. And as it turned out, that would be the only time. Sam Wallace equalised less than a minute later and Giants were never in front for the rest of the game.

al_ex
          Participant

So amazing to see the Swifties win again, I’m so proud of them! What a unique group of girls led by an amazing coaching team. Even though I’m sure they’ll start losing parts of their dream team at some point, they’ll always be a successful club so long as they can maintain their culture.

I personally was very happy to see Turner get MVP. The key to Giants’ success has been two of their most underrated attackers in Hay and Dwyer, and the Swifts wouldn’t have won today if they were able to fire as much as they usually do. Surely we’ll see her back in the Diamonds.

Sammy Wallace is so mentally strong, she brings such great performances in big games. She did everything right today, completely dominant. One of the most entertaining and talented shooters in the world. As much as I love Garbin, Swifts would be crazy to let her go.

Giants will get there one day, they just need some better defenders. I agree with the sentiments that Price might need to try something new, I think she’d actually be a good fit at the Swifts at WD but I doubt she’d do that. Lightning’s always an option for her too with her family up there.

I really hope we’ll get to see Garbin, Hadley, Proud, Turner and Klau in a Diamonds 12. Especially Proud, it’s insane she hasn’t been given an opportunity yet.

Joyjamie
            Participant

guess you’re right possible changes are coming for the Swifts. Briony has kept this team together for few years and it has paid off today. The rolling subs worked,Haythornthwaite made an impact and Garbin was good. How could you make this team any better?

Kreme
              Participant

Haythornthwaite has been a revelation the last few games. Her speed and energy is so hard to match. I thought JLP and Hay were negated today, the Swifts don’t have a weak link in the ten so every rolling sub brought a new level of challenge. Sophie Dwyer is an amazing shooter but there was too much pressure on her at such a young age and her hesitancy on the pass was exploited by the more experienced Swifts defence.

Stressful times ahead during the re-signing period. Oh well we need some excitement during Sydney lockdown :wacko: :wacko:

al_ex
                Participant

I have been really critical of Haythornthwaite, but it’s clear that she really is a big match player. She’s played important roles in two SSN titles and England’s CWG gold. Her impact off the bench in the NWC almost took England to another major final. A classy player.

Joyjamie
                  Participant

Guess I’m biased because I’m from the UK but I always wanted her to start whether she was playing well or not. today she showed what she can do. Sam Wallace was bang on form again just when Swifts needed her to be. The whole team played well. think maybe Fraser is the WD for next season, that’s if the CBA can be agreed

Waylay
                    Participant

I would have loved to see Manu’a come on earlier, I thought she had good impact when she came on. Brandley was very quiet.

Kreme
                      Participant

Manu’a has been under-utilised for the whole season. Leatherbarrow has rarely been off the bench. So Julie F had nowhere to go when things weren’t working. Meanwhile the Swifts were like a well oiled machine. Even the commentators didn’t notice when changes were made as they were so seamless. I’d love to see Briony as Diamonds coach one day, but maybe after she’s got a few more titles for the Swifts!

Maddy Proud has not only played in, but absolutely starred in the grand final, despite the pain of a broken rib.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/netball/proud-reveals-she-played-grand-final-with-a-broken-rib-20210830-p58n8j.html

Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

WOW! Unreal. Reminds me of a few other players who battled injury to get through a GF. So happy she could get through it though and I hope she makes the Diamonds 12.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Go to Top