2021 Test Series – Eng v Jam (Nov/Dec)

2021 Test Series – Eng v Jam (Nov/Dec)2021-09-22T23:06:08+10:00
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

3/4 time: Jamaica 48-40

Cardwell 14/16
      Housby 12/13
      Fisher 11/11
      Harten 3/3

Fowler 45/47
      Beckford 3/5

An even 16-16 Q. Thomas came back on, so thankfully the injury wasn’t as bad as it looked. Fisher was good when she can on. A lead of 8. Can England come back?

Full time: Jamaica 63-53

Fisher 21/24
        Housby 15/17
        Cardwell 14/16
        Harten 3/3

Fowler 57/60
        Beckford 5/8
        Pinkney 1/1

MVP: Sterling
        Player of the series: Nat Haythornthwaite

A good confidence-boosting win for Jamaica. Thirlby experimented somewhat but even so, this was a much better Jamaican performance.

The passing of Jamaica was SO much better today. The feeds into Fowler made it almost impossible for the England defence. This is what they need to work on. If they can get those feeds right, they will always be mighty tough to beat. England just appeared to take their foot off the pedal today. It just wasn’t the same dynamic team as yesterday. The Laura Malcolm at C experiment didn’t seem to work, but the team as a whole just seemed a step off the pace compared to Jamaica.

Jinxibo
            Participant

That was the Jamaica I expected to see it game 1, they took the lead and fought to maintain it. Lots to work on still.

@ShineBright, Welcome to the forum…interesting what you say about Wilson. I watched the game 2 again and thought she was steadier and treasured the ball better than Thomas & Hemmings match. You’re right she will improve but needs lots more court time in that position. Not sure she’ll get that in SSN. What do you think of KAD? I’m not convinced by her, she had a good SSN but she often seems to got missing for long stretches during games.

TN did commentary on game 2 and was a bit disrespectful, IMO, when she said it was like all the bibs has been thrown in the air 🙂 🙂 I do agree with her other comments about Connie hasn’t necessarily picking the best players and they (JAM) were suffering from lack of international game play.

TN also said JAM would improve but not enough to challenge for gold at Comm games, BIG prediction!!

Shinebright
              Participant

@jinxibo Thank you for the warm welcome.
                I really hope Connie Francis gets some time with the team prior com games to work on the options and connections. Nicole Dixon is Jamaica best C currently and maintains a good presence on court, but I think it is good for Jamaica to have Latanya grow to in C to add that defensive edge.
                I found the comments by TN a bit strong, I understood what she was trying to say but could have been more subtle in the delivery. Jamaica actually had 4 key players missing in Romelda, Jodi-ann, Nicole and Rebecca, while England was only missing Geva.
                When Jamaica had the colossal disconnect in mid court with Adean and Khadijah at the WNC against SA, Nicole stepped in at C and made a difference, sadly the damage was already done and Jamaica lost.
                Kadiann D is better suited for taller shooters and is not as fast as Shamera. Against a fast moving English circle she was outplayed at time and to sustain the pressure needed all 4 quarters is a tall ask, but I think she did well under the circumstances.
                I strongly believe if Jodi-ann and Nicole played Jamaica would have been way more competitive and and who knows possibly win the series. Jodi-ann and Nicole both had personal reasons and its not a case that they were not selected. They both have senior roles in the team setup. But this works well for Jamaica, the depth of the squad was tested and the ability of players to adapt and offer flexibility was challenged and this will be so beneficial moving forward. Really hope Latanya game at C improves and if she links with Nicole this would be something to watch. Jamaica definitely has some work to do, just concern it will not all come together by com games to make the finals, but Jamaica is very unpredictable so who knows. Just really hope coach Connie gets enough time with her players.

Fluffy
                  Participant

Welcome @shinebright to the forum!

I agree that TN’s comments might have been misconstrued – England may have been missing Geva from the squad but they also had Jade Clarke and Beth Cobden in the stands yesterday and that’s a lot of experience to make up! I actually thought Jamaica’s defence was great, and I’m never convinced by Romelda and Jhaniele playing together. I think you’re right though, that the disconnect in midcourt that we saw at the World Champs was again the problem. Hopefully Connie F is plotting how to get her squad together regularly, under pressure, because some of the stuff they put out on court yesterday showed just how good they can be.

Thanks to Rona, here’s her wrap of some of the thoughts coming out of this series…

JR
                      Participant

Great article to build excitement leading into CWG next year. Thanks for posting.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Go to Top