2021 Test Series – England v Jamaica

2021 Test Series – England v Jamaica2020-12-12T07:59:59+10:00

Forums International 2021 Test Series – England v Jamaica

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Maryann
    Participant

I know it would be disappointing for the players (and observers) but why would you want to go ahead with this. The risk is really too high and the chances of it being taken back to Jamaica must be on the upper end of the scale too.

I keep wondering how high performance sports people who do contact Covid19 will recover – will they be able to compete at the top level again.

Jinxibo
    Participant

Interesting point my understanding is that for most people it’s like bad dose of flu and they make a full recovery.

I’ve seen a few articles about long covid, including the woman who was into swimming and cycling and now she can just about walk 200m. It’s soo scary.

Hmm a couple of premiership footballers tested positive today, let’s see what happens to them.

I wonder if Netball Jamaica have seen the UK report that says BAME are at higher risk of being hospitalised with covid in England.

Maryann
    Participant

Jinxibo – I have a friend here in NZ who was one of the first in NZ to be tested for it – was a positive result – which she picked up on holiday in the US. They think their oldest had it as well but was never tested and the rest of their family were not either – this was just before NZ went into full lockdown. She said she had a cough and a sore throat (sore for a day).

Fowler would be at high risk of serious problems if she contacted it having had rheumatic fever.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

Zara
    Participant

I would add that this “new strain” has been in London since September and cannot be classed as new, would be naive to think that other countries did not have a mutation… much more likely it just hasn’t been discovered yet.

One thing to note from the UK is that cases are rapidly rising because they are now testing children, even though the majority don’t show symptoms, something which didn’t happen before which had massively impacted our cases.

I’d be surprised if this didn’t go ahead when the premier league continues multiple matches a week with much less restrictions than netball would impose!

Ian Harkin

But we’ve seen before that big $$$ men’s sport (especially EPL) is given preference over smaller sports.

Ian Harkin

Surely the series is in grave doubt now…

englishrose21
    Participant

I can’t see this happening? I’m sure I read that the Jamaican players would have to quarantine at a hotel when they return home. Surely netball Jamaica can’t afford that?
    Also surely the Australian teams must be really not keen for their players to come here.
    In regards to long COVID it’s not just that but everyone seems to say they’re very fatigued after.
    That would be really bad.

Also I don’t think it’s worth the risk. It’s horrible here in tier 4. Coming to the UK would be bad enough in January let alone in lockdown.

Jinxibo
    Participant

Well NJ are going to have to make their mind up very soon. My understanding is that we should reach the peak in the next 2 weeks and there are rumours that the weather is going to be very very cold this week too, it’s7 -1 in London and the south east tonight.

EnglishRose, i’m with you. Eat, sleep, train, that’s all they can do. A majority of the shops are closed and we need a good reason to travel anywhere.

Also, this will be post Brexit England :yes: i hope they’re not planning to buy anything “duty free”, i heard all that concession stopped when we left the EU

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Jinxibo
    Participant

Talk about waiting until the last minute, weren’t they supposed to fly out today?

Anyway the covid variant is out of control in the UK. The Scots have been told to stay at home until February and England go into full lockdown from Wednesday morning. All non essential shops and schools will close until further notice. Some bits of the message from Boris weren’t very clear but he seemed to imply it was until half term, that’s mid February. :unsure: :unsure:

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2021 Test Series – England v Jamaica