2022 ANZP ROUND 8

2022 ANZP ROUND 82022-04-27T08:07:31+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2022 ANZP ROUND 8

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Participant

is there an actual date for silver fern CWG selection? with all the disruptions of covid during the ANZ i assume it cant be pushed back

Kerryn
    Participant

Steel vs Tactix has been pushed out by 3 days to Wednesday 4th May

Nate
    Participant

Ah totally forgot about Hunt.

@kerryn
    @Maryann, yep that’s how I see the rule as well but like I said early umpiring in that level now has to be taken with a grain of salt, and they’re basically told how to umpire by the umpires convener of said league. You are forcing contact, like the old that’s not a natural stance interpretation when a player is standing with they’re legs wide spread at say the circle edge, you’re taking another players space, but again you don’t see that called either lol

Yep yep shooters footwork is woeful, if you watch Maia she does the shuffle/wobble step with her left foot (grounded foot) to bring it parallel with her right foot to aim to the post, she was only called for it once in last night’s game.

Covid recovery is def visible why some key players are lagging, hopefully they all come good and back to a healthy level for them all.

RMB
    Participant

its a right cluster F**k isnt it??? i mean you cant expect players to play recovering with covid as thats not safe, but making them play 3 games a week is also going to be exhausted and youll get injuries. They cant even ask NNL players to step in as they have the same issues. Also cant keep postponing too with the end goal some of them need to be ready for CWG

Kerryn
    Participant

@RMB they should’ve made the early call to just play 1 home, 1 away for each match up – would’ve given plenty of time to reschedule any matches without squeezing them in

TB
    Participant

@Maryann I remember players like Donna Loffhagen and Cath Latu use to get pinned all the time, at international level. The Aus umpires would definitely pick it up all the time (back in the ANZC days).
    I could understand Loffhagen getting pulled, as she loved to use her elbows/arms to pin her player back. But Latu would get pulled for bending down to grab the ball 🙄🤷‍♂️😂

JR
    Participant

I agree Kerryn, I think they had some teams play each other 3 times early in the season when some teams had only played each other once – can’t remember the example. It didn’t seem fair. With Covid disruptions it has meant ANZP had to play the whole season with all the problems that caused vis rescheduling and health and safety of players.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by JR.
    Kerryn
    Participant

@JR exactly – the schedule has never made a lot of sense – especially this year

if they’d done it that way, with the left over time they could’ve had a fast 5 comp – would love to see that – would definetely show fitness levels, and willingness of the shooters to shoot

Maryann
    Participant

If the draw was done logically instead of pulling names out of a hat (which it what it seems to be) then all this mess over the number of times teams have already played each other could be avoided. A very small of time spent on a spread sheet could see all teams play each other once, then twice, then three times. Then it could have been stopped after one or two rounds as needed.
    As someone who used to do equestrian dressage competition draws with riders on multiple horses and large numbers of arenas it actually is not that difficult to do.

JR
    Participant

Does anyone know how the fixture was done? Seems it was having to cater for availability in venues? maybe flights? Doesn’t seem to make much sense given no-one would have known what was happening re Covid numbers and consequences earlier this year. If it was about venue availability then that’s sad that the ANZP wasn’t given priority to allow a sensible competition in another difficult year.

RMB
    Participant

venues could be a possiblity, i work at the Tactix home games and they had to do Cowles for a couple of the games due to Chch arenas availability… apparently circus du Soleil was supposed to be coming to chch and they took up a lot of the time for the chch arena

Nesian
    Participant

Commercial obligations play a large part of the equations too. I know Sky didn’t want any games cancelled so that’s why I think they will all be played even if it means teams are playing multiple times over a short period.

Definitely a tough season for all those involved. Maybe bigger squads would have helped but the franchises don’t have the money available to fund larger squads. Super Rugby has squads of 42 to support their starting 15 and they still have games that are cancelled and rescheduled due to covid and player unavailability.

JR
    Participant

thanks RMB and Nesian.

Maryann
    Participant

The draw being done at the end of the previous season would help with venue availability. I know its easy to sit and type suggestions but I would hope that this seasons issues are reviewed immediately the season ends with thought given to resolving them.

In the meantime rules and umpiring have become a real mystery to me :)

Ian Harkin

Let’s face it, with 6 teams, a normal home & away is 10 games. Clearly, they don’t think that’s enough so they make it 15 games, but surely they should have just made the decision to cut it back this year.

Interesting to note that the whole CCC/NBC competition that ran from 1998 to 2007 was just one round. So in an 8 team comp, they played just 7 games before finals. But now they think that 10 games aren’t enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2022 ANZP ROUND 8