2022 Cadbury Series

2022 Cadbury Series2022-05-20T14:11:44+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 271 total)
  • Author

TB
      Participant

I think from a coaches POV, DNT would have got a lot out of this game. From a publics view, we got nothing/boredom/switched the game off ?

I agree with @Nate it seems like there was no restrictions to the mens play. Like there was in 2019. I guess only time will tell if this was beneficial for the Ferns.

There’s a few ? for this Ferns team. I don’t recall ever seeing Bailey Mes partnering up with Nweke (I could be wrong). I wonder if this was done on purpose?
        Why was Johnson not used at GD? Is this something DNT is keeping under wraps?

DNT will be well aware that Aus, England, Jamaica and probably every other team would be be watching this series with a close eye.

ahdz
        Participant

I think this could be the last Cadbury series of this kind. It doesn’t make for good viewing at all with only one mens team involved. I don’t think I watched any of their games right through because they were so uneven. We wouldn’t watch men vs women in any team sports and be able to fairly judge the women’s performance ???

TB
          Participant

@ahdz if the Ferns win gold (or even silver), there will definitely be another Cadbury series. And all the talk will be “how beneficial playing the mens team is”.

meg02
            Participant

Good to read these comments as I was thinking I am an odd one out. I don’t enjoy Men’s netball but hard to say why. It’s a very different game but I find it boring. Prefer to watch men’s (and Women’s) rugby 7s & other sport. Agree that there were some limits placed on theses games initially but the 1st game was a shocker. The physicality off the ball was awful. Anyway onto Birmingham now. Still no clarification if reserves can be used once games start if for covid reasons. That should have been sorted out by now.

Kerryn
              Participant

@meg02 Temu and MRB are travelling with the team, doing all the pre games stuff, but once the games start – the 12 that move into the comm games accommodation are the 12 they have to stick with

cookiesnjam
                Participant

I know I’m in the minority and people are gonna hate me for saying this but I think Karaka and Johnson started showing their class in these last 2 games. Karaka started getting those intercepts and deflections we normally see and Johnson isn’t just strolling around the court anymore, starting to get more hand on ball too- perhaps they’re both starting to get into form?

I think Johnson might be used in GD during the Commonwealth games as a suprise GD, just like how Rore was used in WD during the 2019 World cup. Regardless of what position she plays, I’m glad to see her starting to get more hand on ball:) I think she really suffered from not being able to get onto court during the ANZ this season which is affecting her timing on getting those tips and touches she normally can. Hopefully all the Ferns will all take their game another step higher by commonwealth games which I truly believe they can!

Participant

Yes this was what happened previously but I know Stacey Marinkovitch hinted it may be different under the new Covid rules. And since she hinted, there haven’t been any obvious further updates I have seen. Did I miss an official update?

Kerryn
                    Participant

@Montyandpoppy that was from the mouth of Elle Temu on tv coverage today (99% sure it was her and not MRB)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Kerryn.
                      sue
                      Participant

I agree with cookiesnjam re the selections of karaka and Johnson starting to show their experience. One of the commentators?maybe Anna Stanley said that Johnson seems to lift in the big international games with the silver ferns that she doesn’t necessarily do domestically and I think that too. Looking forward to the commonwealth games! Kia kaha silver ferns :good:

Nesian
                        Participant

I actually enjoyed watching the men against the women, I’m not sure why people are upset over it. The men should have beaten the Ferns easily as they did. It was a quality men’s team with a quality coach this time around. There also shouldn’t be restrictions on how the men play otherwise it’s just a men’s team by name and not nature.

I have no doubt it will be utilised again next year before the world cup.

I have to say I also don’t enjoy men’s netball. I don’t mind mixed netball. Would like to see Australia v New Zealand in mixed, with the best male and female players available. Although 7-foot-tall blokes as shooters puts me off netball in general.

Nate
                                Participant

Same here @Ian, now if that 7 footer was shooting like Tutaia then bam thats impressive haha

Also agree with the Karaka and Johnson comments, karaka definitely showing off that elevation, if she was a bit taller then shed be a phenomenal GK. Still think Noels has some combos hidden.

Maybe Mes was holding a slight injury why she didnt get a run on this game and lets be honest she was being skittled by the men when she was on.

Personally i wouldve taken Nweke off at prob half time just to save her from the possible knee problems, but she worked her way into the game more which was nice to see. Yeah there was no Mes/Nweke combo but they already know that works from years at Mystics.

They train against the men and have kept it behind closed doors for many many years so keep it that way from now on or change the format. Didnt look like a sell out crowd.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 271 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top