2022 Cadbury Series

2022 Cadbury Series2022-05-20T14:11:44+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 271 total)
  • Author

Full time: Ferns win it 67-48. After a close first half, they dominated the second half, winning it 37-21. What did everyone think of that performance? Has it changed your opinion of NZ’s chances in Birmingham?

WeWood
      Participant

I reckon Mes needs to adopt a Kumwenda like shot. More wrist, not the deep knee bend and roll out of the hand.

sue
        Participant

Interesting to see some of the different combinations…would still love to see ekenasio going to Birmingham 🙁

WeWood
          Participant

@Ian you can see the starting midcourt – Crampton, Souness and Heffernan and why that combo got picked over the incumbents in Kersten and Winders.

Reserving judgement on shooting and defense ends. Want to see how they match up against the Men.

ahdz
            Participant

They’re going to be fine, I liked that we got to see so many combinations. Some great

Kerryn
              Participant

they definitely performed better than I thought they would, but the team is missing the X factor that they have had for so long.

seem to have more energy this series so far though – the last few they seemed to be playing on the verge of exhaustion

WeWood
                Participant

@Kerryn would certainly love a fit Ekenasio, Burger and Watson available, even Rore, but we have to make do.

If Nweke can land the shots and Jury bring her ANZP form to CWG, we’ll be sweet I reckon.

Full time: NZ 67-48

Nweke 26/34 (77%)
                    Wilson 18/19 (95%)
                    Selby-Rickit 12/15 (80%)
                    Mes 11/18 (61%)
                    TOTAL 67/86 (78%)

Ekenasio 25/28 (89%)
                    Metuarau 22/23 (96%)
                    Hume 1/3 (33%)
                    TOTAL 48/54 (89%)

Assists: Toeava 17, Souness 16
                    Gains: Jury, Fitzpatrick, Hume 3

Whitney Souness a well-deserved Player of the Match and she’s struggling to recall ever playing centre before at the top level. She played it pretty well tonight!

TB
                      Participant

@Wewood I feel the same way about Nweke shot. She bends her knees too much. It’ll be good if she could adopt a shooting style like Fowler, as they are of similar build and height.

I really wish Dunn was available for this series. She would have formed a really solid combination with Ekenasio. And I reckon the score would have been much tighter.

I really liked what I saw from Souness, but is she international standard? I really hope so cause she does make a difference in the midcourt for the Ferns.

Why won’t they ever play Kayla Johnson in the circle? ?‍♂️

WeWood
                        Participant

@TB I don’t feel Souness has flourished in a Ferns dress previously, but Taurua and co. realize the midcourt from the last 2-3 series isn’t going to cut the mustard. If Souness can bring her pace, vision and first second feeds she’ll hold her own in Birmingham.

Netballfan1
                          Participant

Gosh loved seeing Souness in C
                            I think It was clear to see why Winders, Kersten and Metuarau weren’t selected tonight

al_ex
                            Participant

I’ve always thought Souness was wildly underrated, especially at C. She’s just so quick. I remember when she first started at the Pulse back in the ANZC she was very impactful there.

I think the Ferns midcourt will be fine and two of the best shooters are likely to stand up as we get closer to CWG, but I’m not sold on the defensive end. AUS, ENG and JAM all play such different styles and I’m not sure if they’re going to be able to get as much turnover ball as previous Ferns units have done. Whoever ends up at GD really needs to stand up.

Waylay
                              Participant

Crampton and Souness were great and I think there’s heaps of potential with that shooting line.

Defensively I’m still unsure. Johnson still looks underdone and injured, Karaka a few steps off and Sulu is too slow for GD. But if they can build over this series, I have faith Noels can work some magic there

Kwkiwi
                                Participant

If Gordon and Dunn had been playing for NZA it would have been closer. Don’t think Metuarau was the problem for NZA, they just turned the ball over too much in mid court.
                                  Will be interesting to see how Mes, Nweke and Wilson go up against the likes of Sterling. Hard to tell how good Jury really is. She looks good in the nz league but defending Fowler, Harten and say Buetta is a different kettle of fish.
                                  I thought Fitzpatrick, Karaka and Johnson looked a step slow and there was a lot of pushing and shoving by the defenders in the circle that didn’t get called, especially Fitzpatrick. I think it will come down to whether we get umpires who allow this play to go on without whistle. I remember one tournament we struck a Singaporean umpire who called all those rough contacts. Even at times Wilson can get called for repeated offensive contact. Anyway bring on the comm games?.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 271 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top