2022 Cadbury Series

2022 Cadbury Series2022-05-20T14:11:44+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 271 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wishing we had Burger and Watson ?

tasman
      Participant

I’m similarly worried about our defence end. Jury formed a great partnership with Manua and Gordon. She just didn’t have as much impact today with the combinations we saw today. Heffernan and Johnson are great athletes but based on today’s game, they won’t be able to match the likes of Liz Watson, Paige Hadley or Haythornthwaite. GD is also a concern because Johnson isn’t fit enough yet, Karaka doesn’t look like her previous self ever since she got covid and Sulu is not quite fast enough to match someone like Housby or Wood.

Midcourt of Souness and Crampton was a delight to watch. The ex-Steel front line of TPSR, Crampton and Saunders, with Nweke instead of Fowler, didn’t quite gel, but may be that was more Nweke not being settled, rather than the other three. Would like to see it given one more go.

Nweke was so good once she got in to the groove in the third quarter. I think if she can muscle up to Bruce, Mentor and Sterling, it will help save our midcourters legs immensely. I think Maia did pretty well in GA and Mes also in the fourth quarter in GS. TPSR was good but just needs to watch those casual passes, that lead to a couple of turn overs.

For NZA: Ekenasio was on fire! I wish she was in the team! I guess it will be Mes and TPSR (and also Dunn?) battling it out for that 4th shooting spot next year. Pleasantly surprised by Toeava, but might have been also due to the ferns’ poor WD stocks. Temu, Manua and Burley had a rather forgettable game.

nanator
        Participant

I actually really enjoyed the Fitzpatrick and Jury combo. Sure, Fitzpatrick isn’t the fastest GD, but she’s clever and the set up was great. I thought Heffernan was a real standout at WD; Karaka and Johnson both unimpressive.

Saunders, was also very flat and hesitant, Mes is worrying on the shot and TPSR was just too casual with those balls. Nweke was muscled out by Temu with ease.

I think the Ferns are missing Eke in GA immensely. I would even have Eke in GS and Wilson in GA if it was just a fitness thing…

I think NZ has a spine (apart from GA), however I’m not very confident in the bench players. Let’s hope they keep improving with every game

minkie
          Participant

Concerning the missed shots
            Am hoping just first game jitters
            Meels is beautiful to watch, sorely missed. Great seeing Maia change positions.
            Can we re watch this game? I could only catch snippets.

Netfan212
                  Participant

If the objective of the shooters was to turn and shoot, then mission accomplished….. if it was to be accurate, then they chose the wrong shooters. Grace and Maia’s selection speak for themselves. The other 2 whom are, from what I’m guessing, suppose to be our GA options, are showing why the critics are right. The 2 best GAs were on the other side of the court playing for the other team! Meels finally finding form- honestly would have just risked it, and put her back in the team.

Manu’a and Gordon bought the best out of Jury, I’m not sure this setup is having the same effect. Johnson- love Kayla- she just seems underdone and needs more court time. I’d really prefer her at GD, but storm said she hasn’t been used their in camps? Like, what’s the point then… Noel’s really loves just using 3 defenders … Souness well deserved, really impressed.

Netfan212
                    Participant

So in conclusion the SF have no definitive GA or GD… I’ll be happy with a bronze at this point..

Kwkiwi
                      Participant

@netfan212 agree with your sentiments on the shooting accuracy at GA position. It’s not like we don’t know about what Mes and TSPR shoot on average during the season. They were selected knowing this. Even Nweke’s stats not great last night. I don’t think 78% team shooting accuracy is going to get it done in any medal game.
                        They will be coming up against much better defenders from other countries who can out rebound them on the misses.

Agree Ekenasio looked good but there’s no way Taurua could make exemptions on fitness standards with the way she has publically stated in the past to the media that certain players have been omitted for not meeting her standards. Seems ridiculous to me that fitness is the priority over accuracy when it comes to shooters.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Kwkiwi.
                        Baller
                        Participant

First game down with rotation after rotation of combos. I thought the 3rd quarter was probably the strongest combo on court.

I feel it is touch too early to pass judgment on the team. Ekenasio was a stand out but I don’t think she could run a full 60 mins at GA.

TB
                          Participant

I would like to see a Jury/Johnson/Heffernan combination used.

Netballfan1
                            Participant

I’d love to see TPSR, Nweke, Crampton and Souness as the attack end to see what that looks like
                              Also I don’t understand how critical everyone is given the score line? It was a 20 goal blow out and most people were saying the SF had a real chance of losing. Are we just never happy? :wacko:

RMB
                              Participant

@ahdz completely agree, the NZ A team players showed they arent just quite ready to be ferns or be ferns again, with the exception of Ekeansio, the commentators were right she looks and playing as if she is fit… is she a travelling reserve for Com. Games?

RMB
                                Participant

@Netballfan1 all the keyboarder warriors aye :wacko: just because the NZA beat them by 3 a few weeks ago in a pre-season game, thats exactly what it is PRESEASON its a practice to work out their combinations

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 271 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top