2022 Cadbury Series

2022 Cadbury Series2022-05-20T14:11:44+10:00

Forums New Zealand 2022 Cadbury Series

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 271 total)
  • Author

Full time: Aotearoa Men win it 61-46. Who impressed you the most?

Ian Harkin

Full time: Aotearoa Men 61-46

Wilson 23/29 (79%)
    Selby-Rickit 14/19 (74%)
    Mes 9/14 (64%)
    TOTAL 46/62 (74%)

Geldard 35/37 (95%)
    Smith 13/17 (77%)
    Jefferies 7/9 (78%)
    Powell 6/8 (75%)
    TOTAL 61/71 (86%)

Assists: Crampton 22
    Gains: Rich, Tangira 7

POTM Kruze Tangira

thunder123
    Participant

Noels wanted to be 3 deep in each position. Have we seen that? Correct me jf I’m wrong.
    GS – all four shooters
    GA – Wilson/Mes/TPSR
    WA – Crampton/Saunders
    C – Souness/Heffernan – brief cameo Saunders
    WD – Heffernan/Johnson
    GD – Sulu/Karaka – brief cameo Jury
    GK – Sulu/Jury

Whilst Souness has been great in C, would like to see her in WA too

TB
    Participant

I’m really impressed with Souness. The question is, can she last a whole game?
    She has a very explosive style of play, and really hustles in defence.

WeWood
    Participant

Didn’t catch the game, just the closing comments.

Stanley, Tairi and Wilson seem pretty happy with the mid court and based off her two performances, Souness is showing the form that saw her picked. Nice one. Seems to be a spring in the step of Crampton too.

I noted Nweke wasn’t kitted up and saw a comment she was rested. Anyone think that was intentional on Taurua’s behalf to see how Mes, TPSR and Wilson went?

Defence wise, no Johnson in GD as of yet, and reminded myself of Storm Purvis saying last night she spent time at Ferns training where they ran a number of combinations with no Johnson put there either. Assumed Kayla was picked as a WD/GD slide. Fitness withstanding, I’d rather Kayla at GD than Sulu.

Nesian
    Participant

Record defeat to the men. I’m worried they may not even make the finals on Saturday. The mixed ladies will be playing like maniacs tomorrow trying to prove a point.

Shooting percentages need to improve, I know Nolene is a fan of volume over accuracy but I don’t think that’s going to work too well at the games.

TB
    Participant

Is it fair to say, this mens team looks a lot stronger than the last Cadbury series they had?
    From memory covid played a part in that series, so had to make do with what they had available?

I think this game and the next game to follow (mixed) is perfect preparation for the Ferns.

tasman
    Participant

Souness is really showing great form. Has she played WA at all? Wouldn’t mind seeing her with Saunders at C. Also Georgia Heffernan played pretty well today in WD. Just needs to let the ball go quicker when she plays C.

Defensively, it’s always hard to judge when they play against the men. Not a lot of turnover ball given the height mismatch, but I just hope it was a good workout for them. Sulu played better in GD today. Still would like to see Johnson in GD for a quarter.

Shooting wasn’t great today but more combinations were able to be tried. i think TPSR is better in GS than GA – less chance of her turning over the ball haha. Maia was great in GA. Mes had a quiet game this time.

I think the game tomorrow against the mixed team will be really competitive. Can’t wait!

Netfan212
    Participant

I hate being so negative- but those shooting stats…. There doing exact what’s being asked, and missing… Mes is just too costly. I feel for her. I think she’s strongest when she’s been out at the back in GS. TPSR think is working into some form. Maia at the moment is both the number 1 GS and GA in the ferns lol. I think Nweke will be used a bit like Bassett in her early career. Noel’s emulating Bassett and Cox combo for Wilson and Nweke.

Mid court starters at solid- Crampton and Souness forming a dangerous combo in that midcourt. And love the pressure both Souness and Heffernan and doing defensively. Solid midcourt

Defensively, picking up some good ball- but there’s something missing down there.. It seems Sulu is the favoured GD, I still think putting Johnson their is the key. Putting Kayla out at wd, she later being outrun by the WAs. Karaka still very quiet.

The strongest line up:
    Nweke (she likely start from bench most games)
    Wilson (although she will be the starting GS)
    Crampton
    Souness
    Heffernan
    Johnson or (Sulu will get the nod though)
    Jury

I think the sulu and karaka combo is also a strong one.

al_ex
    Participant

I think the GA and GD concerns aren’t necessarily because the Ferns players are playing badly, more because the international standard has really gone up in recent years across those positions. Bueta, Wood, Housby, Austin, Cardwell, Harten etc. can all play GA really well. Wilson, Ward, Weston, Aryang, Bruce, Agbeze, Francis-Baynan are also class opposition. Whichever team does finish up in 4th position at the CWG is likely to be the best team to ever miss out on a medal.

Netfan212
    Participant

But the fact we are even discussing the real proposition the ferns could finish 4th again should ring alarm bells for everyone. It shouldn’t happen full stop. Yes, the growth of the game and players have meant the gaps have tightened. But you will never see diamond commentators talking about a 4th place for the aussies.. Roses same thing.

I think we can sneak into the gold medal match. But realistically we are good enough for bronze- which is fine.. but a world champion team coming forth, should be on no one’s lips… and yet it is.

al_ex
    Participant

It’s important to remember how many players the Ferns have lost since they won NWC. The starting 7 was Tuta’ia/Ekenasio/Crampton/Langman/Rore/Kopua/Watson. The ONLY player in this year’s team is Crampton. The only player Australia has lost from their starting 7 is Bassett, Jamaica has a lot of new talents and England have had 0 top-level retirements. If you took out all of the UK’s “fossils” (Mentor, EUB, Harten, Clarke, SFB, Guthrie) I think everyone would expect a 4th place finish for them.

Obviously it’s not good to go in with the mentality that leaving without a medal is acceptable, but if that were to happen it would be very different from 2018 in my opinion. And in all likelihood it won’t happen anyway.

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Ian Harkin

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 271 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand 2022 Cadbury Series