2022 Commonwealth Games – Day 1 (Jul 29)

2022 Commonwealth Games – Day 1 (Jul 29)2022-07-29T14:39:55+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Participant

3/4 time 57-16 to NZ

Yoon
      Participant

Q4 changes: Fitzpatrick – Karaka – Johnson – Sousness – Saunders – Mes – TPSR

Maryann
        Participant

Full time NZ 79 NI 20

Yoon
          Participant

Wow how exciting to finally be underway after all the months of build-up! General (disorganised) day 1 musings:

Mes’ shooting % dropped a lot in that last quarter, but predictably picked up a lot of rebounds. Sure she will build into it as the tournament gets underway, she didn’t look to have trouble with creating enough attempt opportunities. TPSR didn’t do anything really flashy but looked in pretty good shape and was just very solid and steady in both positions I thought.

Lots of NZ defensive combos tested – Jury/Karaka stood out as the most ‘explosive’/intimidating pair but diff pairings will obvs match up better on diff opponents (e.g. Fitzpatrick/Karaka in Q1 were noted for their great teamwork in pressuring the feed into the circle with constant switch-ups etc). On TV Jury’s arms also looked like almost half the entire height of the starting N. Irish GS, poor thing.

In commentary Lisa Alexander said she thought NZ had the best team overall in terms of being one cohesive, collaborative unit. After the NZ game could kind of see what she meant, Noels made wholesale changes across every quarter and half the team played 2 diff positions across the game, but it didn’t feel drastically noticeable in the flow of play, compared to when seeing changes made across other top teams.

Pam Cookey in commentary also noted that England have their hardest games back to back in the last few days of group stages, and this is where their much-touted enormous caps experience will most likely come in (rather than game performance itself) in terms of discipline, fatigue recovery and mental strength to shut out the noise of the other ongoing events of the games. She also noted that this pattern of games would be a test for Metcalf especially given her particular importance at WA (which I think most people anticipated).

Heffernan and SDL both had great comm games debuts as the ‘fearless and speedy youngsters’ for their teams. So much speed and tenaciousness between them.

Bueta, Guscoth and Cardwell looked pretty much unstoppable for large chunks of their games.

Am sure first game and home crowd nerves played into it, but was quite surprised how shaky England starting 7 were in their game until the subs started coming in. Harten, Housby and Malcolm particularly with several uncharacteristic misses/bad passes in the first quarter and a bit, definitely didn’t seem as slick and clinical performance as Aus and NZ in their opening games. Hopefully they’ve got it out of their system and will be raring to go from the outset from tomorrow, was also pleasantly surprised that it was the youngsters/subs who stood out most over the veterans. Francis-Bayman was good at WD, Allison and Malcolm didn’t really do it for me at C, think Clarke is our strongest option there but obviously we are only one game in.

Harten’s knee has been worryingly heavily strapped since a few days ago including in this game, Cardwell definitely looked the stronger of the GSes today.

Didn’t catch the Jamaica-Wales game but the scoreline surprised me – a much smaller goal difference than I expected given their powerhouse defensive end.

Last (and definitely least), thought it was cute Klau was sporting Weston’s trademark plait, almost didn’t recognise her without her usual high bun!

WeWood
            Participant

Took me all of the first quarter to put my finger on it – what was different about the Silver Ferns uniform. No sponsors’ logos ?

Maryann
              Participant

@WeWood – the most bland, unimaginative creation ever worn by the Ferns I suspect. Even worse than the team uniform!

Am I correct in thinking that unless one stays up all night to watch the netball then overnight games can’t be located to watch them on delay? Be damned if I can locate the other games apart from NZ v NI to watch this morning.

NEW ZEALAND
                  NWEKE 29/31 (94%)
                  SELBY-RICKIT 25/27 (93%)
                  WILSON 20/22 (91%)
                  MES 5/13 (38%)
                  TOTAL 79/93 (85%)

NORTHERN IRELAND
                  CROSBIE 9/16 (56%)
                  MAGEE 6/10 (60%)
                  BOWMAN 4/7 (57%)
                  McGRATH 1/3 (33%)
                  TOTAL 20/36 (56%)

ASSISTS: CRAMPTON 18
                  GAINS: FITZPATRICK, JURY 6

TB
                    Participant

Apologies if this has already been said on here………….but where do you go to watch the NZ games from Aus?
                      I couldn’t see there games on the 7plus channel.

JR
                      Participant

They are all there as replays on 7plus TB. 3 are there as minis too. I just checked the netball tab.

So that’s great don’t need to stay up overnight, though I think I am only watching the top 5 team’s group games and maybe Malawi v NZ and Malawi v England.

TB
                        Participant

Thankyou @JR

I’ll go look again ?

JR
                          Participant

That was on my laptop. I noticed it was the same via my Telstra TV box on the TV too.

Good luck.

Trolly
                            Participant

Are ‘penalties’ referred to as ’team fouls’ in England?

By who?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top