2022 Commonwealth Games – Day 7 (Aug 4)

2022 Commonwealth Games – Day 7 (Aug 4)2022-08-03T19:46:20+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 280 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Diamonds really missing Hadley. I would have liked to see Koenen and Klau get a run. A bit disappointed – a lot of that last quarter was down to fatigue and a loss of composure.

JR
      Participant

Klau was played in part of the last quarter

Yoon
        Participant

Sorry not sure why my phone keeps double posting! Ian is there a way to delete duplicate posts?

Tully
          Participant

Jamaica deserved the win. They wanted it and went for it.

Australia went into their shells. There needed to be a change in the Diamonds shooting circle. Also, SM seems a little immune to taking Bruce off the court.

Moloney was solid but when the game was on the line was MIA. That’s standard Moloney. Wouldn’t have minded Austin on at WA and Watson to C.

Tough road for the Aussies now.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tully.
            D-fencr
            Participant

More of a run than a little bit of the last quarter.

al_ex
              Participant

What a collapse from the Diamonds attack end, especially from our senior players. Wood and Watson were just so tentative, and Moloney has never really been an option on attack so from there it completely crumbled. I know it’s been said a million times but the Diamonds really needed Proud (or a healthy Hadley), there was just no chance when Watson went off the boil.

Amazing effort from Jamaica. They lifted the intensity in defence and were so disciplined in attack at the end. Beckford’s decision making has improved immensely. Hopefully they didn’t peak too early and play their grand final today, based on today’s performance they should be in the gold medal match.

I’m not too concerned about the Diamonds coming up against NZL or England, they’re pretty much as good as each other. This loss could actually be good for them. Better to collapse in a pool game than in the final like the last CWG.

Don’t worry about double posts. It’s okay.

Full time: Jamaica 57-55

AUSTRALIA
                    BUETA 36/39 (92%)
                    WOOD 19/22 (86%)
                    TOTAL 55/61 (90%)

JAMAICA
                    FOWLER 47/50 (94%)
                    BECKFORD 10/10 (100%)
                    TOTAL 57/60 (95%)

ASSISTS: WATSON 26
                    GAINS: WARD 5

museboy
                    Participant

What a fantastic win for Jamaica! The way Sterling shut down Bueta in the last quarter was phenomenal. But have they played their final? The Ferns would probably fancy their chances against Jamaica rather than a wounded Australia.

For Australia, the loss isn’t so bad as these final pool games don’t really mean anything. But the last quarter collapse would be the most concerning…

museboy
                      Participant

Also, how many goals did Bueta shoot in the last quarter?

enozlas
                        Participant

Okay now I’ve had time to calm down a bit… wow…

I think SM really went for the win there with the line up and I don’t think that’s necessarily a wise move looking ahead… it would’ve been super valuable to see how all the players stood up in such a pressure match of that caliber when a medal wasn’t on the line. Someone mentioned it before but exactly as NZ did at the World Cup last time when Noel’s made her changes and ran her combos despite the result and they really found some things out which paid off come the final.
                          All I know now about the diamonds is that SM’s preferred line up didn’t produce. We now have no idea how the other combos will go up against the best in the comp and no other chances to test them under pressure without a medal being on the line… wasted opportunity if you ask me.

Jamaica was outstanding. Never seen them so composed in attack particularly that last 2 minutes. Sterling is phenomenal but I actually think Ward/Wilson we’re outstanding in that last quarter and really brought the pressure. I said it early in the week and happy to be proven right that jamaica are definitely a gold medal chance if not perhaps established themselves as the team to beat?

capsule
                          Participant

I’ve warmed to Stacey Marinkovich as a coach; I think her approach to the Quad Series was excellent and I’ve been fine with most of her rotations this tournament. But she still is not good at responding to what’s happening on court the way coaches like Akle and Taurua are. Also it’s easy to say now after losing, but I don’t think there’s an obvious difference between NZ and England right now, so I definitely would have liked to have seen a few more of our players tested against Jamaica in preparation for finals. What good will making the gold medal match be if Stacey isn’t prepared to bring on Koenen or Austin on if/when the attack gets stagnant? Or Klau early enough to make a difference?

I still think this is a really good team, but that last quarter was very worrying.

capsule
                            Participant

Sorry enozlas, I pretty much repeated your points! Too slow to comment. But I agree with everything you said, including your praise of Ward and Wilson.

enozlas
                              Participant

Hahah good to know someone else is on the same page!
                                Although fantastic point about SM not being able to respond to what’s happening in front of her.
                                I feel she was the same at Fever and that’s why they never were able to take it all the way under her. Worrying signs come the medal matches!

NB12
                                Participant

Yes, I think SM missed an opportunity to make some changes with 10 mins to go. Fresh legs would have done wonders and given some more players a taste of pressure.

It’s possible Australia may not even ply NZ at this CWG. How weird would that be!!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 280 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top