2022 Commonwealth Games Semi Finals – Day 9 (Aug 6)

2022 Commonwealth Games Semi Finals – Day 9 (Aug 6)2022-08-06T11:52:33+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well done Jamaica. Complete performance there. As others have said choosing a team based on fitness and you get this outcome. Not that Watson and Eke would have stopped the carnage. It was a good old fashion hiding.

I thought Souness lacked punch through the middle, like what Langman used to give us. Karaka failed to contain Beckford. Fowler is a machine. Great to watch her and Sterling at the end of these games. They deserve to win tommorrow. But Australia may still take it out. (I’m picking an Aussie win in the second semi final). Oz may have less nerves. Would love to see Jamaica take it out.

NZ needs to get some of their players or teams into the SSN…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Kwkiwi.
      al_ex
      Participant

After the ANZC split up and NZL won the NWC, there was a lot of talk about how ANZP had saved the Ferns and allowed them to go back into their old style of play. I think that was true at the time because the Ferns defensive core had grown up with the intensity of ANZC (Rore, Kopua, Watson etc.) but were able to develop that tough zone. Their attackers and midcourters had also had a lot of exposure to high intensity netball or were actually playing in SSN (Langman, Tuta’ia).

However, with the new generation that’s come through I think the lack of week in week out intensity in ANZP has left them stunted when coming up against the best. Wilson, Jury, Crampton and Nweke are all players that dominate at ANZP level but were completely unable to adapt to the new players they haven’t been used to coming up against. SSN has some weird rules and things like timeouts aren’t good preparation, but you only need to look at Jamaica and England to see how battle-hardened players become from the week in week out high intensity competition. The Ferns should encourage some of their best to play SSN, use ANZP as a pathway and for younger Ferns to gain court time and experience. Players like Watson and Ekenasio would have absolutely helped, but they won’t be around forever and some of the young New Zealand talents like Nweke, Jury and Wilson need to be challenged more at franchise level.

mcleod
        Participant

How will they get teams into the SSN, that comp won’t have more teams until it makes $$, that is years away. This ferns team was always going to fail as soon as it was named.
          You have to remember 3 years ago Jamaica with the same team finished 5th at the WC. Their WA C and GA have improved massively, and they don’t play in the SSN

Jinxibo
          Participant

We, yes, all of us have forgotten NZ need to rebuild having lost it’s fossils :yes: :yes: :yes:

DNT knew from the outset it would be a hard task hence her comments before the tournament.

Some players should never have been selected, I’m not going to name anyone, but DNT wanted a particular style of play. Not sure she got it. I really do believe she expected to a Watson, Burger or Eke to be available, I don’t think she planned to lose all 3. Sulu and Phoenix fell away towards the end of ANZP and carried that lack of form into this tournament.

The Ferns still have 2 more tests after this and DNT will not want to lose both of them. Expecting some interesting selections B-)

Jinxibo
            Participant

Good points @mcleod, also Eng, Jam and Aus have their full strength squads, the JZ don’t. I think there will be more uproar if Aus don’t reach final.

NB12
              Participant

Of course there will be an uproar if Australia don’t make the final. There will also be an uproar if England don’t make it.

After this tournament, there is a genuine expectation on all these teams to play off for gold.

mcleod
                Participant

Plus look at south Africa, missing their 2 best players, and finish 6th. Just 3 years ago they came so close to making the WC final.

Hadley is ruled out again…

England
                    GS Harten
                    GA Housby
                    WA Metcalf
                    C Clarke
                    WWD Francis-Bayman
                    GD Guscoth
                    GK Mentor

Australia
                    GS Bueta
                    GA Wood
                    WA Watson
                    C Moloney
                    WD Brazill
                    GD Weston
                    GK Bruce

Flb
                    Participant

Didn’t Eng lose Cobden late in the preparation. Also, Guthrie retiring is pretty massive.

Aus has injuries and has lost the 2 dominant goal shooters of the last decade in Bassett and Thwaites.

I just don’t buy the NZ has lost the fossils/rebuilding/eke and Watson not available mantra. It is sport, no player will be around forever and players will have injuries and other unavailability. Undoubtedly Eke, Watson, Burger are missed, they are great players, but is there really such a void in NZ netball that without them they are absolutely schooled by Jamaica? I think it is still reasonable to expect NZ to put out a much more competitive performance than they did tonight. I genuinely find it a bit perplexing.

Also, well done to Jamaica – they’re playing great netball.

schmeetle
                      Participant

I’m so mad at SM bringing a player under an injury cloud into the tournament. As much as I wish Maddy Proud was here I’d even be happy for JLP to be the 12th player. Would at the least be a valid change up at both C and WD.

NB12
                        Participant

I thought Hadley was injured in training after the games commenced?

Has it been stated otherwise?

tina_138
                          Participant

Thought SM would have started with Klau, Bruce and Weston as the back 3.

Jinxibo
                            Participant

You just illustrated my point… look how many starting players SA and NZ have lost since 2019 WC and both teams have struggled to play up to there usual standard. No team can lose that many players at top level and not expect it to have an impact.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think the Ferns would win but I didn’t expect them to lose by such a large margin.

Netballcrazy1
                              Participant

That would’ve been an interest back 3, hopefully, we see it if things aren’t working.

@NB12
                                , there was an article where SM defended the decision to not replace Hadley so I think it implies they may have still had time to make the change.

NB12
                                Participant

@Netballcrazy1 – thank you. I’ve been thinking the opposite.

I probably still would have taken Hadley though if we had a genuine WA/C back up like proud in the team.

It’s actually ridiculous that there is wasn’t a back up selected. And it’s playing out as everyone feared – ie “if we get an injury to Watson or Hadley we are screwed”.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 207 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top