2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES FINALS – Day 10 (Aug 7)

2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES FINALS – Day 10 (Aug 7)2022-08-07T02:33:35+10:00

Forums International 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES FINALS – Day 10 (Aug 7)

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nah they had a miserable 2018- which saw them lose to England 3 times, Jamaica 3 times, and Australia which felt like 100 times 😂 was also the first time in a decade they had more losses than wins- and that reflected in their ranking going into the NWC 2019 :

NB12
    Participant

I think that MC is incorrect. @ian I don’t think NZ has dropped out of number 2 in the past 4-5 years? Happy to be corrected.

caribou
    Participant

That non-call on Braz for stepping was because she didn’t step. She’s just very quick! https://twitter.com/tensepast_/status/1556436270062059520?s=21&t=1xr-lahkqCo5AanyIDib9Q

mcleod
    Participant

Ferns were ranked 4th when they won the 2019 WC

Stoj
    Participant

So proud of the Aussies. I’m the first to admit I had written them off. Jamaica just looked too good – especially in what was supposed to be their weakest area, the midcourt. But they shook off all the doubters and showed excellent growth mindset.

Klau is my favourite player going around atm (I can’t go past a Swift!). I was so excited to see her come into the game and she was just what the Aussie defence needed. Very good decision making by Marinkovic – much better than the pool game.

The key to the win for me was Braz and Moloney- just like in the semi. Great pressure in defence and did a wealth of work in attack.

I was glad to see the Jamaican girls with smiles on their faces. It’s disappointing to lose, but a silver is still a massive achievement and should be celebrated.

JR
    Participant

I agree with you Stoj. I was over the moon that the Jamaicans were so happy with their silver medal.

Love love love Sterling.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by JR.
    Yoon
    Participant

@caribou Ah yes watching that clip looped again you’re right – in the stadium they only showed the replay once on the big screen, and I think the edit started closer to when she’d already caught the ball, so it looked much more like a footwork than it does in that clip. Insane athleticism from Braz to control the ball at that speed! Hopefully in the TV commentary they clarified for viewers with more replays.

I wonder if Rob Wright will stick with his role until NWC. He said he was volunteering and had to take time off work for this role as Jamaica netball had no funding! Jhaniele said in an interview they didn’t have a video analyst either and just had to rewatch their own games to work out where they could improve. They’ve just secured a 3y sponsorship with a big rum company I believe, so potential for a lot more improvements on this performance management side of things for Jamaica next year (frightening).

Those CWG game stats someone posted earlier are interesting, Roses clearly don’t have a good track record on home soil for CWG or World Cup, where conversely the media and commentary hypes up their chances to the fullest. I wonder if this disastrous campaign for England will effectively be what Gold Coast was to NZ. Repeated nonsensical coaching decisions from Thirlby aside, as some people commented before there definitely seemed to be a weird vibe going on within the squad after the pool stages. Given the experience of the team, the mental resilience to bounce back from a defeat or have that hunger to fight their way back into the match would normally be a given. I’m still a bit shocked and heartbroken at how dejected and defeated everyone looked in that final quarter break team talk, many Roses fans said they could tell the match had already been lost mentally by that point (or sooner).

However, a year out from NWC seems too short notice for a much needed overhaul in coach given the number of new players that are going to have to be blooded (apparently the average age of the team was 31, which is absolutely mad). As far as I know we don’t have a Noeline-level coach available in the wings, and I do think we need to look wider to coaches from abroad as options too given the rapidly improving state of world netball.

I think this tournament has really cemented a few key players who look to be the next CBass, Fowler, Van Dyk, Langman etc in terms of being such a key force for the long run that other teams will have to consciously train certain types of players to combat their specific style of play. Bueta, Koenen, Nweke, the Sterling/Wilson/Ward trio, Heffernan, maybe also Jury and Cardwell (with a bit more SSN experience and discipline under her belt).

What an exciting 10 days of netball it’s been and congrats to the Diamonds for an excellent final game :good: The relief on the faces of those in the Gold Coast/Liverpool squads was heartwarming to see.

al_ex
    Participant

I think England has been victim of holding on to a line up for too long. They have great experience but I don’t think they were able to match the athleticism and intensity of the other top teams. The retirements of SFB and EUB give an opportunity for some younger talent to come into the fold, but the question is whether the younger talent is there. Fadoju seems an obvious option in defence, but their midcourt also looked off the pace for a lot of the tournament. NWC may be hard for the Roses considering NZL will get back so many players and Australia and Jamaica are likely to grow even further with their younger teams. They’ll even have a renewed South Africa to compete with at home.

TheBroadbean
    Participant

I’ve never felt so deflated after netball before! Well done to the Diamonds and Sunshine Girls. Brilliant that Jamaica made it to the final. We all knew they had it in them!

As for England, well what can I say. Such a disappointment at a home games. I feel like we have really gone backwards. Finishing 4th is obviously disappointing but I felt like we didn’t even get to see any new up and coming players gain any experience from this.

The team that we had (minus a few players) won us a Commonwealth title in 2018. That was 4 years ago though and well, things haven’t really changed have they? A lot of the same team and not really a whole load of development!

We didn’t bring another option at GK. Mentor is a force to be reckoned with but by the group games a lot of the players had really done their homework on her sadly. We had EUB as backup but she didn’t play a lot and would have surely have been a good option to change things up. Sadly, she has now retired so where now? Wouldn’t it have been good to bring along Alice Harvey?

A lot of the players just looked flat. We didn’t bring a C that could actually run out a full game. The back up C appeared to be Laura Malcolm. I’m sorry to all her fans but a C she isn’t. Great at WD but far too hesitant and costly at Centre.

Natalie Metcalf was absolutely flogged to death at WA. She was unfortunately marked out of a few games but our back up WA was actually a GA who wasn’t actually trusted to take to the court at WA. Surely this was always going to be an issue. I feel like we can say it until we are blue in the face but instead EN think that having 10 Wing Defences in the team is better than actually bringing through another option at WA!

The shooters seemed okay but clearly Jo Harten was not. Taking a shooter on managed time is surely not such a good idea. Keeping her on in a semi when she is clearly struggling was madness. Instead, taking off a GA and then putting on another GS to play GA instead was borderline crazy. I’m pretty sure there was another GA on the bench….

I really struggled with a lot of the coaching decisions. Not a lot of changes when it is clear to even Stevie Wonder that things weren’t firing….

Didn’t have a Plan B – or apparently a Plan A as the England Coach said she didn’t even know the starting 7.

I just feel like this was such a good opportunity but in reality we have actually gone backwards.

These are just my opinions though and it is probably all still a little bit raw!

Netfan212
    Participant

Honestly England have the young talent there. They just need a coach willing to make some bold calls and leave out some experience players. This tournament would have been a perfect time to blood some fresh faces- yet they went for experience (which at times looked tired). Their was an over reliance on it in fact. You look at Australia and they have the perfect balance of youth and big game players. NZ on the other side of the scale, lacking in experience, but with key new players playing an important role with the the “senior” members.

Jamaica look strong an slick- Robs influence is great. They are finally living to their potential.

Australia- well, this win looks to excel them into a new era of dominance. Scary thought.

NZL- lots of work to do. However, they are rich in so many players to choose from, both experience and youth. The advantage nz has over the top 3- everyone else picked the strongest players available give or take 1 or 2- silver ferns left half their best players at home. The fact this team was able to medal, without key players- you put them back in, and suddenly they look an excellent chance at defending their World Cup title.

Eng- Again have the right players. Something not clicking though. Need to sort it fast because South Africa on home soil at worlds will be hard to beat.

Ian Harkin

No, it’s correct. The kiwis had such a shocking run in 2018 and even when Taurua took over, they didn’t win a lot of matches straight away. So yes, they were 4th going in to Liverpool, then climbed back to number 2 after winning.

https://www.silverferns.co.nz/silver-ferns/news/latest-news/silver-ferns-lift-to-second-in-world-rankings.html

al_ex
    Participant

I agree with everything you said @TheBroadbean, and as unpopular as it can be to not select established favourites sometimes it’s what is necessary. George Fisher would have contributed more than Harten was able to considering her level of fitness. Players like Harvey, Fudoju etc. need more exposure. Those players will likely get opportunities now with retirements, but I just don’t see that much improvement if England are still depending so heavily on the likes of Housby, Metcalf and Clarke through the centre third. It will be interesting to see how Malcolm develops at Tactix, maybe she’ll finally be able to improve her attacking game like Guthrie did at the Giants.

A problem England had this games is that they played the pool games like a mid tier nation. That’s to say, they used about 9 players instead of 12 and wore out some of their stars, a bit like Malawi has done in the past. Not only did that mean the likes of Mentor and Metcalf looked exhausted by the end of the tournament, it also meant players like SDL and EUB were never in a position to really be used for impact. Not great tournament management from Thirlby really. It’ll be so interesting to see how they go in the test series against Australia.

Yoon
    Participant

@TheBroadBean and @al_ex totally agree with all of your thoughts, I’m not one to get super hung up about sports but honestly spent most of the weekend and today feeling pretty deflated after the two medal games!

Results aside, I think the worst part was the real feeling of avoidability and futility of all the issues that came to light. When England lost to NZ in the NWC semi, I think most people were happy to accept we’d simply been outclassed by an amazing team and the players had been able to try their best, and moved on pretty quickly from the disappointment.

In these finals it was overwhelmingly frustrating that whatever level (or arguably higher) playing field we ought to have had to contest for a win, was unnecessarily made harder/compromised entirely by some terrible coaching and team management decisions, often forced or exacerbated by knowingly risky initial selections. It may well not have changed the result – no taking away credit from Aus/NZ’s excellent performances – but the way these games were managed should not have happened.

And as you say, for what? The gaps where we most needed to test the squad depth for the future (C, WA and GK) were the areas where we offered the least exposure for appropriate newbies. :scratch:

The one silver lining I can think of is that the fallout from this may be the best guarantee we get of seeing lots of new/younger faces in the various upcoming test series Vs Uganda/Australia, with a serious eye to developing them for NWC/the bigger competitions rather than just filling in spots for big names. Hannah Joseph is the only other named C/WA in the current squad and was a travelling reserve for CWG so must be a shoo-in, also Fadoju and Quashie/Harvey :good:

Jinxibo
    Participant

@yoon,@BB & @al_ex you should have some pimms, ice ans a slice with ya nettie, I felt :yahoo: but seriously I agreed with most of the comments.

Harten hasn’t been moving well all season at SSN and after Fishers display in the NZ series, her position must have been in danger.

Malcolm, why play her at WA for all those games and not use her when your first choice WA is being marked out of the game??

In JT defence I don’t think she planned on losing Guthrie. I also think she would have selected Quashie instead of EUB, if not for injury.

Roll on Uganda. JT needs to blood as many players as possible during this series so she can take them to Aus, if they step up. I’m hoping to see Fran, Quashie (if fit) Fadoju, Fisher, Rattu, Pavelin and Zara. Alice :good: our own Kelly Jury, yep I’d like to see her too. She’s improved so much in just 1 season

Ian Harkin

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES FINALS – Day 10 (Aug 7)